Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

How many 507's are still around?

Discussion in '507 roadster (1954-1959)' started by BlueAngel M3, Mar 27, 2009.

BlueAngel M3 guest

I was wondering how many 507's are still around world wide and how many were produced? Anyone know of a recent sale or a barn find that needed restoration? I'm an M3 fanatic, but i'm also obssesed with BMW classics for some reason especially the 507.

Nik

CRKrieger

I hope your obsession adds up to at least a quarter million because that's about where the rattier ones start these days. Figure close to a half million for a very good one. There were 253 507s built between 1957 and 1959. I imagine most of them survive, since they were damned expensive even then. Elvis drove one. So have I:

[IMG]

BlueAngel M3 guest

I heard Elvis's car went at the auction few years ago for about 400k, is that true?

granthr

You owned one of these???!!!!!! Or did you mean you just got a chance to drive one?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Do you honestly think that if anyone here knew where to find a "barn find" 507 that they would breathe a word of it before it was in their garage?

I want a 501 or 502, though. Much less rare. Carl Nelson has a 503 you can probably talk him out of. Bring money, though.

BlueAngel M3 guest

I was only curious. I know this car cost a lot of wood chucks just wondered how rare it is since I never seen one for sale.

CRKrieger

Drove it. Fresh restoration; lovely car; two or three laps at Road America. Little front end shimmy around 120 km/h.

gokartmozart guest

http://www.finecars.cc/en/editorial/article/news/collectors-corner-bmw-507-roadster-the-graf-goertz-created-design-icon/index.html

granthr

CR how did it feel compared to your 535is? Did it feel fast even though it only has 160hp? I am guessing it is a pretty light car.

CRKrieger

It felt about like you would expect of a quarter million dollar car that belongs to somebody else (a lot bigger than me, sitting in the other seat) with the top down on a race track. Leisurely. I did not flog it. I did attempt to heel-and-toe downshift it (out of habit) and found the pedals too far apart. I found the shimmy at 120 kph (70 mph) and decided not to drive past it. It is a mid-1950s car and it feels like it. The non-power steering did not lighten up with speed. The long spindly shifter was almost under the dash. The dual exhausts right behind us sounded lovely. Most important, I did not crash it. :eek:

granthr

Sounds like a great drive! Yes, not crashing is the highest priority in a car like that! :D Still, I am sure you will never forget it.

ToM3 guest

507 on auction

Gooding's will have a white 507 in their Pebble Beach auction in August. Have not seen the car yet but I understand it is in outstanding condition. Of course, they are anticipating all the money for it.

Cheers

tmf633CSi guest

ToM3 guest

507 sold by Gooding

As you may know by now, Goodings sold 507 chassis no. 70128 for $935k, including buyer's premium, at Pebble in August. I had the opportunity to inspect the car in detail at the auction preview and listen to it run. With only 27k original miles, the interior remains in unrestored but excellent condition. The white exterior was repainted a few years ago in the original white, to what appears to be exacting standards. Though a bit difficult to start when cold, the engine sounded strong and healthy. No, they wouldn't let me drive it :(. I was at the auction on Sunday, where the bidding quickly approached 750, then seemed to stall there. At the last moment a bid of 775 was received, then 800, then quickly to 850 where it ended. The published amount of $935k is the $850k bid plus 10% buyer's premium.

The black 507 available at Morris and Welford just recently sold, though I've yet to learn the price of this private sale. This car had been for sale about a year ago through someone else but had apparently not moved.

Cheers

BlueAngel M3 guest

ToM, thanks for chiming in. I see you follow up on these great cars. I am even waiting to see what will one go for hit in the front at an insurance auction.

Samir

ToM3 guest

Please post the insurance sale results.

Cheers