Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Mar 24, 2009.

az3579

Not according to what Chris told me this morning...

Trans rear seal is leaking and you have to jiggle the key in the ignition for it to start. The guy seems pretty firm on his price so if he doesn't lower it a bit to say, $2500 (or whatever Chris is going to offer) then it's a no-go.

I suggested he get an E30 but there aren't any E30's 'round here worth having for a decent price. All of the good E30's (if there are any at all) are all over 3k, which is really puzzling to me.

granthr

Well if they are taking care of and the mileage isn't too out of hand, they are worth it.

Autohaus guest

The owner will call me after he gets out of work. My mechanic told me the car is in good shape. However, the car needs about $600 worth of work to be 100% mechanical wise.

-Belts need to be adjusted-to loose (no biggie as I can order new belts-not expensive)
    -Power steering hose is leaking-no biggie-just order a new hose
    -Oil leaking from VCG-part is only like what, $30? Simple procedure
    -Rear tranny seal is leaking and my mechanic quoted me 3 hours (driveshaft will have to be removed)

The key thing is a problem. You have the wiggle the key alot for it to turn all the way over for the car to start. Owner told me he will look into it in getting if fixed.

TeamStowell We love driving!

I am interested to see how the key jiggle thing works out. My Euro has the same issue, and I fear getting stuck somewhere when it decides never to work again. Otherwise, I hope the deal goes well!

Autohaus guest

Maybe it just needs a new ignition switch?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Sounds like the mechanical portion of the switch is worn out and it needs a new tumbler. It needs to be fixed before it can't be removed any more, but this is easy to fix. Trans seal is easy, but does take 3 hours. See if your mechanic will do the shift shaft seal at the same time for only a little more. Have him check the detent plate at the top of the trans as well. These sometimes leak and seem like the output or shift shaft seal. VCG is very cheap and you can do it yourself if you want. Sounds like not a bad deal, and since the guy has a new addition to the family wifey may make him take what you offer.

az3579

Define easy to fix? Chris asked me to post about this since he isn't near a computer at the moment.

What exactly is involved? What parts other than the tumbler are required? Total estimated cost, including labor?

I think this ignition key problem is the main thing holding him back.

mooseheadm5

If the key needs to be wiggled before it will turn, the most likely problem is part number 4 found here:

Tumbler with key

If it was produced before 9/85, it would use a different part number, but same principle. Replacing this part can be cone in a couple hours or less if the key still works. Otherwise you have to drill, and it can be annoying (but not undoable.) I think the pre 9/85 ones are easier to replace (lower security) if there is a real problem, but you can pull the column in a half hour and work on the bench if necessary. Part costs around $50.

Autohaus guest

IDK about this car. I spoke to the owner over the phone a few hours ago and I told him about what my mechanic pointed out. I told him the belts, power steering hose and the VCG are no biggie. I don't think he will lower his asking price and he has someone from CT to look at the car tomorrow. I'm not gonna get in a bidding war for this car. Next time I talk to him I'll mention $2500 and if not, then it wasn't meant to be.

mooseheadm5

Good plan. If he doesn't go for it, want to buy an S38 drivetrain :D

Autohaus guest

I'll throw it in my E28 who is taking a vacation in my garage :)

Autohaus guest

I just realized that I'm not gonna get the M535i so instead I will just get the parts I need for my E28. Stupid idea in getting another car in the first place! I'm being greedy. Someone slap me :)

az3579

That will be arranged. Just don't be surprised when I do it the next time I come over. :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

Mods, please lock this thread!

MGarrison

If you're the originator of the thread, you can lock it yourself - just fyi.