Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Mar 24, 2009.

Autohaus guest

I think its time to share something to you all. I might be purchasing a 1985 M535i. In a couple of days I will bring the car to my mechanic for inspection, all fine by the owner. I know, I know-I just got laid off and the last thing on my mind should be a car purchase. However, these cars are rare and its hard to pass up. My better half gave the thumbs up :D so its all up to me. Red/tan, 5-speed and it comes with parts like brakes front/rear, new complete exhaust and other parts as well. If I do purchase this E28 I will post a million pics.

az3579

Yes, you will... or else!

He wants to use it as a beater. :D
    (j/k)

Off topic (as usual): you changed your sig, eh? You had to make it look like my car was the oddball? Why I oughta....

drummerfc

Hay, ENJOY it Chris. You only live once. Long as you're not taking food out of the kids' mouths or squandering the mortgage, it's all good!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That is a horrible idea and I don't think you should buy it. I don't know anything about this at all...

az3579

It looks like you have angered one of the BMW Gods, Chris...

Autohaus guest

:)

The kids eat too much already ;). They would want me to take them to school in it.

He was joking :D

az3579

So was I. :rolleyes:

mooseheadm5

Was I? Maaaybe

Autohaus guest

The E28 M535i wasn't sold over here, right? Someone went out of his/her way to import that bad boy to our shores.

mooseheadm5

Correct. Either that is a euro car or it has been so very euro-fied that it is probably worth buying at that price either way (pending rust through inspection.)

Autohaus guest

The vin sticker/tire sticker on the door jam is very different than the one on my E28. It also has different fog light buttons compared to my E28. Heck, lots of things are different.

az3579

All I know is that the headlights on that thing are badass. I mean... the lowbeams are huge compared to the highs. That just completes the Euro look. :D

CRKrieger

Standard on E28s everywhere but in the US. Had a set; smashed 'em; decided they weren't functionally worth the bother over a good set of Hella or Cibie Q-H conversions. They are cool, though.

The US-only 535is is the US equivalent of the M535i. They are similarly equipped (sport seats, airdam, spoiler, slightly different suspension) and share an engine that, in Euro form, was 218hp instead of 182, IIRC. The other major equipment difference was that the M535i got some bodyside skirts and the 535is didn't. Why BMW didn't simply give them the same name and identical stuff other than the engines we'll never know. :confused:

Autohaus guest

I'm still waiting for the owner to get back to me so I can pick up the car this Saturday morning to bring to my mechanic for inspection. However, he hasn't gotten back to me to confirm. I was supposed to have this done on Tuesday but my mechanic was backed up. Hopefully the owner will call me back today to confirm so I can have it looked at tomorrow.

granthr

Hey that is our MO around here! :D

Wow, euro E28s are awesome and it is an M535i to boot. I really like the E28 with the big eye/little eye look of the headlights and the small bumpers. From the side, the leading edge of the hood sticks out further than the bumper!!!! :D

Post those pics! I hope the guy responds to you asap! Do watch the rust though.

az3579

Chris, when you taking the car? Thought I was gonna be around for that. :(

MGarrison

No, Botond, Chris' wife is NOT going to allow you in the delivery room if they have another baby!! :D ;)

az3579

:cry:
    You make me sad. I WANNA SEE BABY CAR!

Autohaus guest

Update

Owner called me apologizing that he didn't call me back yesterday. Turns out that he and his wife had a baby the other day. I will pick up the car from his house at 7am sharp Saturday morning for inspection :)

granthr

Anxiously waiting for the verdict! ;) Is it worth buying?