Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

First BMW you ever rode in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Mar 24, 2009.

Autohaus guest

We all remember the first BMW we drove but did you ever ride in one before you drove one? For me it was back in 1995 when my uncle had a E36 318i coupe. Back then I knew nothing about cars/BMW but I though it was great. He also had a bimmer in the early eighties but I don't remember which one it was. My gut tells me it was a E21 320i or a E28 533i that I could have rode in it when I was a young lad :cool:

hefewzn

First one I rode in was in '99, a e36 328 in Germany. My boss picked me up at the airport and I remember cruising along at about 130mph. Rode real tight, no vibrations, like it was meant to go that fast. First bimmer I drove was a company 525 Touring. Not real quick but was a great driving car. Got to take it all around southern Germany.

MGarrison

THAT is a cool license plate! I guess we know your favorite beer!

names of your favorites?

oh.. umm! maybe a salesman's 320i....

az3579

My brother's 540i 6-speed accelerated the addiction. I've been addicted well before that, but the first time I rode in a Bimmer was when my brother felt the necessity to hit the speed limiter at 155 on I-95... my God was that car quick. And to top it off, he took a 30mph exit at 60 and the car didn't even break a sweat.

drummerfc

First test-drove a 318tI back in the early 90's (I think)...it was like driving a tin-can with the roundel affixed to it. And they *still* wanted well over what I was willing to pay...so I "settled" on a 1990 Nissan 240-SX. Nice car...would've kept her a while...but totalling it 6 months after paying it off sent me back BMW's way...where I ended up leasing a '96 328is coupe.

The "rest" (read:addiction), as they say, is history...

drummerfc

mmmm....BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER...

CSBM5

March 1972...in a 1972 2002. Die was cast. Shortly thereafter, my father bought a 1972 Bavaria in April of '72, so I was first exposed to the BMWCCA at Lime Rock that spring when we went in the Bavaria (6 cyl cars were very rare back then) to a Trans-Am race I believe and were surprised at the attention it drew in the club parking area. My thought at the time was "what a bunch of crazy people". :) My dad joined the club that day, and we started getting this newsletter in the mail (Roundel). I was only 13 then and was into drag racing and muscle cars (begged my father to buy a hemi 'cuda instead of this weird Bavaria thing), but his experience with the Bavaria (that I later bought from him in 1980) showed me that precision engineering and efficiency were pretty cool things.

CRKrieger

Not favorites, first!

1978 320i demo ... in 1978. Decided then that I would own one of these things. Now on my ... ummm ... tenth? :confused:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

1975 530i. I probably rode in that car the day I left the hospital after I was born. It was in our family for 21 years, eventially getting an 85 535i drivetrain with manual trans swap and Motronic conversion when I was 17. Incidentally, that was my first engine swap as well.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

My God!

I just realized. . . I don't REMEMBER my first!

My first BMW, anyway...

:eek:

granthr

1987, 5th Grade. My best friend's dad bought an 85 or 86 4 door 325e. Blue on blue cloth. Manual trans of course. I thought it was fantastic!

lcjhnsn

My first ride in a BMW was the day I test drove my 1999 318ti. Unlike most other people, I loved the bobtail look of the ti. That was my first Bimmer, I hadn't ridden in any others before that.

Ironically, I've now owned 3 BMW's but they have all been within 2 years of each other. 1999 318ti bought new in December 1998, then 1998 M3 Sedan bought in 2004 and now 2000 M Roadster bought in 2007.

hefewzn

Thanks! I had to have some kind of German themed plate.

One of my favorites is a hefe from Gold Ochsen in Ulm, Germany (can't get it here), I also like Memminger, even though it doesn't get great reviews, oh yeah, can't get that here either. I like most hefe's, Hacker-Pschor, Paulaner, Widmer and others. I like to try different ones I find at the beer store.

granthr

Mmmmmmm Hefeweizen Mmmmmmmm (Think of Homer Simpson when reading) :D

MGarrison

I tried a Southhampton Publick House Double White lately - was just like chewing on wheat stalks, which was a bit too much for my tastes.

gokartmozart guest

First bimmer was the 1983 320i (Alpine White - I was hooked!) which I test-drove and bought on the spot.:)

94is guest

First was a 1977 530i 4spd manual. I don't really remember much of it, as I was very young. First BMW I ever drove tho was a 1995 525i back in 1996. I was instantly hooked.

Autohaus guest

Has anyone ever rode in an Isetta?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I am sure lots of people have ridden in Isettas. It seems they were very popular little cars.

Solidjake guest

1967 Bmw 2000