Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacement wheels or...

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Mar 23, 2009.

az3579

I think this thread can be closed. Crap keeps happening, like last night where once again a f*cking curb bent my rear wheel very slightly. Holds air and is barely noticeable, but I get the feeling that I shouldn't be spending any money now because I've been having a streak of bad luck lately.

Today I'm going to look at a spare wheel and if it's good, I'll buy it and hold off on everything else and see where my luck takes me.

Autohaus guest

Dude, what is it with you and curbs :(. Where is this spare euroweave?

az3579

Dunno. Weird stuff has been happening, like that incident last night, and I got two long streaks on my hood that was just "there" the next morning. I can't rub it off, it doesn't wash off, I have no idea what those are. I'm discovering various dings and scratches I haven't had before now as well. Hmm... is this a sign?

Autohaus guest

You are not an experienced driver.

Sell the E30 and the S50 and by a Civic.

Seriously, you need to get that garage cleaned out so you may park you beloved Edirty in it :)

az3579

It is now cleaned out mostly, enough for a car to park, but my car will never go in there. Not my garage, it's my brother's.

Anyway, one replacement wheel down. One to go...

stevehecht

Botond, we saw those streaks on your hood when you were up here a couple of weeks ago. What are you parking your car under?

Strange sh*t keeps happening to you because you're daydreaming about Suzie S50 all the time. :p She's cast a spell on you. In order to break the spell you need to paint your body black and take a cold bath for 33.3 minutes. :eek:

Autohaus guest

Pic of new euroweave or it never happened :)

Autohaus guest

az3579

I haven't cleaned up the wheel yet. It will need to be resprayed, but I'll take care of that with some Wurth wheel paint. It appears that the wheel once had a polished lip and it was somehow removed, so there is some paint scarring on the lip. It's good for a spare, but if I do a good job on the spray then I will use it as one of my "refurbished" wheels. It's nice and round, no bends, cracks, or noticeable road rash. We'll see after that spray. Besides, no tire, so it gives me good practice for if I decide to respray my other wheels.

As far as Suzie, well...
    Uhh... no... I don't have a mistress named Suzie S50... I swear!

*starts to sweat under collar*

*later that night valves and pistons working at about 6.5k rpm could be heard from the bedroom*
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

:eek: (bet you are wondering how I managed to get such a short post)

Autohaus guest

nasty :eek:

az3579

What, is watching S50 swaps on YouTube so bad???

I don't wanna know what y'all were thinking... :eek:

Autohaus guest

Sure B :rolleyes:.

az3579

OK, I need opinions...

I'm pretty set on repainting my wheels. My dilemma is whether I should just respray them the standard whitish silver that alloys are or if I should do the centers Nogarosilber, like this:

http://www.325ix.com/pics/islip/MVC-823F.JPG

I always loved the look of Basketweaves on M3's with Nogaro centers. Anyone?

stevehecht

I may be crass but I tend to like the unsubtle brighter look, 'specially on those dark winter days. It sets off against (my) black paint real nice. You may feel differently about your red.

az3579

I feel the same way you do with a black car. It's the same reason why I think it's OK to have chrome window trim on a Black car... it contrasts well, same with wheels. I wouldn't put black wheels on a black car unless the wheels had a polished lip, but otherwise it doesn't contrast too well.

On my red car, however, black would be a bit too dark. That is why I want a darker center and the regular silver lip (not polished - I don't want anything chrome looking on my car) to help it contrast a bit. I completely fell in love with this:
    http://www.325ix.com/pics/islip/MVC-823F.JPG
    (btw, this above link was edited into the post above yours: )
    • Staff

steven s

az3579

Those are SO hideous, that you'd have to PAY ME millions of dollars to put those on my car for a SECOND.

I would rather eat my own puke than even LOOK at those wheels ever again.

Today I went down to the local paint shop and ordered myself a can of Nogarosilber paint and a can of clearcoat to try on the spare wheel this weekend. This stuff ain't cheap; frickin $30 a can! I'll need about 2-2.5 cans to get the job done right, and that's only the wheel face, not including the inside. But, ~$100 to paint 4 wheels ain't half bad, especially since it's cheaper than buying another set of 'weaves. I'm sure a paint shop would charge a lot more for just one wheel...

Autohaus guest

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

5 lug swap? I may be able to pick up a 318ti for parts.