Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacement wheels or...

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Mar 23, 2009.

stevehecht

Yes, this weekend can work. Best for me would be Sunday afternoon maybe three or later. (I have a funeral to go to at 11am.) If that's not good we can do late in the afternoon on Saturday, like around 4pm. Let me know tonight if you can. The wheel loan would be open ended because I have the Ronal LS for summer. (I should tell you that I haven't done more than a cursory wash of the wheels since I got them in December, so they're not in excellent shape right now.)

If I were you I would just keep looking for a single Euroweave online and avoid the cost of a whole new set.

az3579

I'm only finding sets at the moment. I figured if I buy a set, and sell two of my baskets, I could make some of it back and have a spare in case I need one. I would consider it a smart move to do that...

Or, would you be willing to loan me one and if I find one, just give you the one I buy? I'm told the tires have to be rebalanced every time they're taken off the wheel and I just did a painful 4-wheel balance (transferred existing rubber onto track wheels) and tire transfer for about $135 after taxes. That really hurt, and don't want to go through that again if I mount the baskets and the one you loan me...

I already face another full 4-wheel balance once I put the tires back on the weaves, so the cost is really going up here.

I don't know if I should snap pics of the dreadful Kosei K1 setup... it looks like... well, a track car! I don't like that look all too much, though I certainly wouldn't mind having one...

Anyway, PM me with a phone number (preferably cell) and we'll set something up for Sunday, as it seems to be the best day for both of us. I really appreciate this; you are not required to loan me a wheel. Let me know if you're in a pickle and if I can help, I will!

stevehecht

That seems like a smart idea to me.

That works. See my PM.

granthr

How much would you want for the bent one? I can give you a round bottle cap in exchange! :D

az3579

Why would you want to buy the bent one?
    And why would I want another bottlecap? lol

If you're willing to pay shipping then you can have it...
    The rim is not only bent, but cracked where it's bent as well. I'll take a pic tomorrow, but it's not pretty.
    I think it's officially not repairable.

BIMMIR guest

From Maine:
    $400 for a set of 4 with snows. They are painted black, I don't know how much to strip, repaint and coat?

Photos at this address.

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/1094369291.html

If it doesn't work, go to maine craislist and type in BMW.

granthr

Hoping to repair for a spare! :D

Hold onto it. Maybe we will meet up at a show or event this summer!

Bottle cap offer was a bit of a joke! :) But I do have one. Even has a tire on it, but it leaks and it is the wrong size. :(

az3579

That ad is incorrect. Those are 14's in that picture.

granthr

Yup. 14 inches. They might have come off a Cabrio M-tech appearance package car. If so, the paint is original.

az3579

If it is original, I don't want black wheels. They blur the details, and I love the detail of BBS wheels.

BBS wheels are intricate and of a very solid quality. I've yet to see a black wheel that doesn't come off as a cheap Chinese-made wheel, even if it isn't. They just look cheap to me, and there are very few cars IMO that pull it off verywell.

az3579

Update:

I've got the Kosei's on and they look... well... like your typical car in Bridgeport. I hate it; I want my 'weaves back... :(

And offset isn't nearly as good either.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Autohaus guest

Car looks fine with those wheels. Trade in the jet-ski to complete the S50 purchase.

az3579

It's the neighbor's. :rolleyes:

BIMMIR guest

I assumed that someone had done a cheap spray can repaint. I had no idea they might have come that way. Some darker wheels look ok, but YUCK.

az3579

Well, on Saturday, I drove 2.5 hours to Massachusetts to pick up a loaner Euroweave that Steven Hecht was kind enough to loan me. It was a bit dirty, but I was happy to give it a good scrubbing. I can't wait to get these suckers mounted again...

Half clean to show how the previous owner shipped it to him...
    The left is what I cleaned, the right is uncleaned:

[IMG]

And all cleaned up:

[IMG]

Once again, thanks Steve! I will return it in the (mostly) sparkling condition it's in now. :D

stevehecht

Good job. Did you use straight Simple Green or what?

az3579

Yes. Simple Green (non-diluted), two blue shop towels, almost a dozen Q-tips, and some elbow grease.

They don't shine as much as mine did when I cleaned them, but that was when 3 of my 3 overhead bulbs worked. Now only one works. :D
    Lighting makes all the difference.

z31maniac guest

I also know where a complete set of Nogaro Silver Euroweaves are for sale, in case you wanted a complete extra set, for say R-comps!

I'm hoping to sell my 17 x 8 Works quickly, I have a new wheel/tire setup I'm going to run with the S52, should help performance in all ways!:D

az3579

How much are those Nogaro-weaves? I'm willing to bet that they're too much. :)

z31maniac guest

I think he wants $500 for the set.