Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replacement wheels or...

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Mar 23, 2009.

az3579

So, there was an unfortunate mishap over the weekend. The point is, one of my wheels got royally... messed... up. I'm sure you all know that Euroweaves are a royal PITA to get in this country, if you can find one for sale, that is. I'm trying to decide on whether or not I should spend the cash to buy one from Germany and have it shipped (will cost the same as two to three of them in this country) or if I should review my wheels and just get a set of something else that's in better condition. My Euroweaves are cool and all, but only if you're standing five or more feet away. They've got some curb rash, scratches, you name it, but it's not very bad.

I need some help deciding what I should do; go through the headache of getting another Euroweave (next to impossible to find, especially just one) or get another set of wheels.

For reference, here is my perfectly-fine wheel (front left):

[IMG]

Aaaaaand here is the f*cked up one (front right):'

[IMG]

If I get other wheels, they have to look similar, or if not similar, then look really cool while still looking kind of sleeper-ish. Thoughts?

And I do not want to hear "how did that happen?" because I will only ignore you.

John in VA

I've seen wheels similarly damaged that were able to be repaired. Check on repair - it's a case by case deal.
    What makes these special - 15"? I have the easier-to-find 14" basket weaves.
    Check to see if Wheel Collision Center has what you need:
    http://www.wheelcollision.com/BMW2.htm

granthr

+1, But you already know this! :D Get em fixed! There is nothing like a 15 inch basket weave on an E30!

I have hit my fair share of curbs in my day. Messed up the whole front suspension on my 86 Jetta Diesel in high school, in the school parking lot none the less. It was wet and I was showing off. Unsuccessfully. Then again in college, I was out fooling around on a snowing night. I guess showing off again, boy that really doesn't pay does it.

So what is the story? Do tell. It might be raw now, but it will get funny with time. :) :p

az3579

14"? Are you trying to insult me? lol
    There is nothing you can do to make me go back to 14".

What makes these wheels special? Can you find 15" basketweaves that have a 4x100 lug pattern and have et24 offset?

Not in this country. The only people here that have them are the ones that aren't willing to sell them, and with good reason!

I don't know if I should bother repairing it. Where it's bent it's actually cracked and I can see part of the tire underneath it. I don't see how they can possibly repair that. It looks as though that bent part is going to break off. I'll take a more detailed pic tomorrow, but even if they could repair it, I don't know if I can trust that wheel to ever hold air again, or to be perfectly round or stable. If it's not going to be exactly how it was before (structurally perfect) then I don't want to bother, because if they try to fix it and it doesn't work out, I still have to pay them for the work they did. No thanks.

Brian A

Holy Heck! Sorry to hear about the wheel. I know how hard you worked to get them in the first place.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Supposedly they can pretty much fix anything for about $125. I'd send them that picture and see what they think. You can trust repaired wheels, they do them right. I'll ask my brother who he uses. RRT has had to send wheels ot before, and my brother is very picky about things like this, so I would trust what he has to say. Need any other parts to repair this mishap? You have another option, BTW. You can convert to 5 lug if you can get the front suspension off that M3 you got the S50 from, and the rear hubs from a 318ti. You could keep the same rear struts, and sell the fronts if both are undamaged.

Autohaus guest

How did it happen :confused:. Like Moosehead said, try to get it fixed :)

az3579

I'm looking at most likely a bent shock/strut/whateveritis at the least.
    I'll take you word on the wheel repair, though I don't think there is a decent place around here.

I can't afford the 5-lug swap. I just got word that it's official; I've been extended one month and that's it. After that I'm going to have to change companies if I want to keep working here, and even that is only for 18 months at the most (not permanent).

I really did think about 5-lug but it's just not worth the cost. Doesn't 5-lug cost well over 1.5k in parts alone? I've seen people selling 5-lug kits for close to that.

mooseheadm5

I think you are looking at a bent rim, a bent strut housing, a possibly bent strut insert, lower control arm, possible control arm bushing, possible upper strut mount, and maybe subframe damage and slightly bent shock tower. Will insurance cover this (you don't have to go into detail?) If not, I'll see what I can dig up for used replacement parts on the cheap.
    5 lug costs what you pay. The hardest bit to find is likely the ti/z3 rear hubs. Everything else can be had pretty easily and cheaply.

mooseheadm5

And you will have to send the wheel away to be repaired. Look in the Roundel, there are a couple of companies that do this work.

Elkoholic

MGarrison

Fix it, should be fixable - best option, especially since you won't find another unless you hunt ebay daily for 3 years- Years ago I had a place that originally was a Wheel Collison Center location in Columbus, Ohio, fix some rims of mine - they changed their name, I _think_ the first place is the one that used to be a WCC. If you talk w/ them and find that out, that's the one I'd use. The CJ wheel repair place is local to me, but I don't know anything about them.

http://www.theroundhouse.ws/Home_Page.html

http://www.rimprofessionals.com/contact.htm

http://cjwheelrepair.com/index.htm

az3579

I don't see why insurance would cover it; it's only liability.
    They would consider the car totaled even if they did cover it. To them, this car is worth nothing at all.

z31maniac guest

Yup, liability only covers damage you do to others property.

Get the wheel fixed.

But from what I understand, you can get EuroWeaves from the dealer. Albeit they cost around $400 a pop (which is outrageous for 15" wheels) but there are a couple of guys on R3V who say they have done exactly that.

Personally, 17s or bust.

mooseheadm5

Well, without me coming out and asking what happened, I can only take a stab at helping you out. What I was getting at was questioning if it was the driver's fault. If so, then I will see what I can dig up for spare parts. I am stripping my 86 for parts soon, so if you can't find anything soon enough, then that may be what you need to go with. You can rock these while the wheel is being repaired:

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/pts/1070668833.html

Or call this guy about suspension bits and spare wheel:

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/pts/1052191285.html

Use crazedlist.org to scour the area for the parts you need.

Autohaus guest

mooseheadm5

Those are probably ix wheels. Wrong offset but they can be made to work with fender tweaking IIRC.

az3579

No fender tweaking here.
    Good news though; it appears the extent of the damage is only a control arm. I was expecting a bad shock, control arm, and a few other little things as usual, but surprisingly only a control arm.

They haven't laughed in my face when I asked them about wheel repair, so that probably means that it can be repaired. I asked them to look into that and I'll hopefully have a response by tomorrow. Till then, I'll be rocking my 14" bottlecrap spare...

But if it can't be repaired... then what??? Anyone want 3 Euroweaves? :rolleyes:

MGarrison

well bah, I think it's fixable - but if not, you weren't the only one bidding for them on Ebay were you?

az3579

No, there were other Germans bidding on them as well... it was ebay.de after all. :rolleyes: