Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Security...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by ViolinARC, Mar 23, 2009.

ViolinARC guest

Is everyone aware of this cool security feature??? Has anyone noticed the CODE feature on their MID's or 4:3 display's??? It's a security feature that will protect your ride EVEN if someone has the key!!!! That's right, even if someone has the keys! It was designed for law enforcement to use when transporting a prisoner. We can use it to prevent unauthorized use or theft of our precious babies...enjoy the read.

I started this thread a while ago when trying to share this cool security feature with my Bro since we both have 540's. He couldn't figure it out cause he was missing an instructional manual but Qsilver came to the rescue with the correct procedure for you E39er's out there who don't have the high cluster.

Remember to use The Code to protect your ride when you're out and about. BTW, I posted this at BF.c and think it is a good thing to share...:D
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

BMWs have had coded driveaway protection since the E23. It is a cool feature. A determined individual could still steal your car, though.

ViolinARC guest

Not many are aware of this great feature though...

I did state "prevent" and "protect"...neither of them are definitive statements. LOL!

528iAT guest

will this work on a 528iAT 2000 and where do you punch in code? on the radio buttons under the mid, mine has am fm and the wonderful buisiness cassette. i do have the changer in the back woo hoo.

ViolinARC guest

Yes, you should have this feature. Did you follow the link to the thread on BF.c?? I have to guess that you didn't cause you'd know how to use "The Code" by now. Here is another link (just click on the word "link") to the post in my thread that should answer your question.

Just in case, here is the hard link for your convenience: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10212377&postcount=28

Hope this helps...:cool:

528iAT guest

i am reading it now cool ! is possible to still get the factory books with this info?

ViolinARC guest

I think Qsilver is posting directly from his manual. I believe you can still get the info in pdf format online but why would you need the factory booklet if you already know how to use this feature? :confused:

Glad you like the info...it makes me feel much better when I walk away from my car in a questionable hood or just a store parking lot! :D

528iAT guest

darn after looking closer at my radio my clock button has just the clock no bc so i recon i dont have this cool feature. :(

that vent timer feature looks interesting too.

ViolinARC guest

Bummer...it's a great "peace-of-mind" feature.

The vent timer is really sweet when you know you have to leave your car in the sun but don't want to return to an oven! You can set it twice so if you're gonna be gone for an extended amount of time, you can set one at the mid-point or one timer after another to really get the heat out...

BTW, did I say "Welcome to the forum!"? :cool:

528iAT guest

while we are on the vents when i put it on front windshield defrost the fan goes to high if i try to adjust fan speed it turns off the defroster and just resumes regular venting is that normal or is there another way to adjust defrost fan speed?

ViolinARC guest

From my experience, that is OEM operation. Defrost puts the system into deafening mode and the speed seems to be preset. I've messed around with it too and any attempts to adjust defroster fan speed results in the system switching back to standard operation. There may be a way to adjust the defroster fan speed using the OBC but if possible, most likely would have to be done at the dealer...

drummerfc

Absolutely...first used it in my '96 328is years ago, and found it in the E39 this past fall. It is wonderful, *especially* if you go to an event like a ball-game or concert where there's multitudes of people (and many chances for someone to take a five-finger discount on one's bimmer :cool:)

...just be careful not to drink too much and forget your code :D:D !!