Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPod ~ MP3 converter / adapter

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by BicyclingBMW2, Mar 22, 2008.

BicyclingBMW2 guest

I have priced having the adapter installed - it is a ridiculous $300-400 for the unit and installation. Are there any after market alternatives for a direct connect to the radio?

:confused:

Tom

wanesso

better price than you think?

The dealer is going to charge $600 to install the ipod charger/adapter because I forgot to add it to my list--2008 M3--got the tech package and I assumed that the ipod adapter was considered tech....yes, I know what they say about assumptions......so $300 sounds like a deal!

Jonathan Spira guest

$300-400 is a very fair price for this and no, there really aren't any aftermarket possibilities here unless you already have a CD changer installed (long story behind that but you probably don't have one so it's moot).

Bill Howard

Bob Roemer in this month's (April) Roundel is asking for comments on whether $400 is the right price to pay for the USB jack / iPod adapter.

The right price of course is zero (as in: buried in the base price). Even tech-savvy automakers such as BMW are having difficulty grasping how much music players are integral to our lives in and out of cars. I bet many of us, given the choice between a USB jack / iPod connector as part of of the base price of the vehicle, and a CD player slot, would go for the USB jack.

kkratoch

I would never pay that much, but then again my car already has an aux input built into the center console and i use that for my mp3 player.

GregS_WI guest

Did you try Bavarian Sound Werks?

My cars are pre-Bangle, so this may not hold true any more. But I bought the Dice ipod interface for my e39 and that hooks up in place of the CD changer. I run the cable to the front and replaced the ash tray with the 2point5 dock (also through bsw.)

You could always get an FM adapter for now. I use one in our e46 and the sound quality is much worse than the line-in for our e39. I may get to correcting that this year.

Here are some pics of the e39. When not in use the original ash tray door covers the adapter.

Attached Files:

Jonathan Spira guest

Of course BMW is still in the (buggy-whip-like) business of selling CD changers and does not sell anything that plugs into a USB or iPod connector.

wanesso

music and coffee, they don't understand...

That is correct about the Germans not understanding our desire for our own music, not to mention our desire for decent coffee cup holders! That will take another few years....they are going to install my iPod charger/adapter in the glove box--out of site and out of the way and the idrive central controller will control the ipod on the big screen--that's what 600 bucks will buy (2008 M3)

Jonathan Spira guest

The Germans do understand coffee and music - Austria and Germany brought us Bach, Beethoven Mozart, Brahms, as well as the café (Kaffeehaus) and the habit of drinking coffee itself.

On the other hand, if it weren´t for the CD port that exists in cars (my comment refers in particular to cars built PRIOR to the introduction of the USB port in the car), people could not purchase a retrofit iPod adapter. In your case, with a MY 2008, since it´s not included the fact that the port exists allows you to get an iPod adapter that, while not as good as the factory model, is pretty good unto itself.

Brian A

Back to the iPod Era

If you have an E30 or E36, its pretty easy to just break into the wiring harness between the old fashioned "head unit" and "power amp." See "Back to the iPod Era" in the August 2007 Roundel.

As for cup holder; you have to use your thighs. Keep your coffee below scalding hot.

wanesso

ah yes they understand music and coffee, but note, I said they don't understand our need for coffee cup holders and our music...the Germans also train the finest horses and make the best riding equipment.....

Jonathan Spira guest

Well, you said both but that's ok...

Regarding coffee cup holders, I can see a bottle of water but I still see coffee as too messy and hot coffee as too dangerous regardless of the type of holder.

wanesso

cup holders

It is most sensible, definitely, to have water only in the cup holder but a even water bottle is tippy--I have an Audi TT with tiny holders, not too functional. Americans always want big servings and want coffee when they drive despite the illogic. But a bigger question; is it sensible to buy an M3--gas mileage, price?? But we all have done or are about to here in this club---pure joy in driving is apparently worth it (I hope!).
    I am hoping that the iPod adapter is also worth the money and effort.

Jonathan Spira guest

It´s worth it.

PhillyNate