Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Looking for parts

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by cj morgan, Mar 13, 2009.

cj morgan guest

I'm still searching for fenders, bumbers and a front valance for my E30 and so far no luck. I found one in the junk yard but unfortunatley i got to it too late. The entire front end was cut off:mad: Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I know I can buy these parts online but they are so expensive. I'm trying to save money for a new paint job so i can't spend $300 on one fender! I drove by a local used car lot yesterday and found an '89 325ix with faded paint, some rust, a cat back exhaust and basketweave rims. The car has a standard transmission with 200,000 miles. The valence is a little bent on it which is a part i need and with the rust, Im hesitant to buy it. They are asking around $900 for it, but i would try to talk them down to maybe $700 cash. Should I buy this car and use what i can from it? Is anyone parting out their E30? I dont want to pay out the A$$ for these parts.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You can use everything except the front suspension, wheels, and drivetrain (you can use the diff.) If you buy it and have the time to part it out, I think it would be worth the money. I may be interested in some of the parts. Get some pics and PM me.

granthr

Check the BMW dismantlers in the back of Roundel. I am sure you can get a fender for around $50 each.

If you do buy that ix I would be interested in the wheels if they are true "ix" 15 inch basket weaves. I am planning on buying my brother's ix here in a month or so and his rims are bent. I might also be interested in the front and rear diff is you don't want them. At least the front. My brothers car is an auto and the first project is convert to a manual. Now 4:10s would haul azz with a manual, but I am afraid it will be too high strung.

mooseheadm5

AND you will want the trans/mounts/shift linkage/pedals/driveshafts/etc. if it is a manual.

granthr

I haven't decided if I will do the swap myself or not. There is a guy here in Central PA that does these all the time on E30s. He provides every thing, but he wouldn't have the 3.73 ix diffs. He is pretty reasonable, so I might go with him. Although it would be a great learning experience. ;)

Here I am talking about the same thing on two different threads, I hijacked them both!!!! :eek: Sorry folks!

mooseheadm5

Well, I don't consider this one hijacking because you are trying to persuade him to get the car so he can sell you parts. Hey CJ, buy the car so we can part it out for you :)

cj morgan guest

I went test drove it yesterday and gave them an offer of $700. The guy won't go under $1,000. I'm not to sure if the car would be worth that..its got spots of rust all over, the electronics on it are going bad, the engine cuts out, i wouldnt drive it probably but also the body panels are in rough shape. The pros are it does have 15" basketweave rims and a stainless steal scorpion exhaust. There aren't any records for and it and the guy had no idea whent he timing belt or anything was changed. I honestly believe the car isn't worth $1,000...to me anyway

granthr

You would have to sell a lot of stuff off that car to recoup your $1k. I am not sure it would be possible or worth it. A grand might be worth it for what it is, since it is drivable. But I think it is too much for a parts car that is all rusty. All well it was worth a shot right? :)

Boy I did want those wheels though! :p

mooseheadm5

It is easily possible if you can sell the drivetrain. Leave it for a while and then go back with cash when he finds out that it isn't worth anything.

cj morgan guest

ya it was worth a shot, i mean it was really fun driving stick compared to my auto...