Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bringing her back from the dead!

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Mar 6, 2009.

Autohaus guest

I was about to call the guy up about this car today but it slipped my mind. He is probably gone for the day but I'll give him a ring tomorrow. I will then haz two e28's on my driveway that won't budge lol but stripping it would be done ASAP. Who am I kidding, I'm lazy just like B is. Oh its not a M535i. It is a 85 528e, black with red interior, though the seats are gone. Side door panels are still available and I believe it has pimp my bimmer 3-spoke chrome wheels which i would sell for $50. The bumpers may be kept if I decide to install them in one of the cars. But how would I begin to tell my wife about a 2nd non running e28 :confused:

az3579

I'm surprised she has let you live this long.

Autohaus guest

So am I. Must be because of my looks :D

az3579

About that... You're getting old. :p

Autohaus guest

:(

32 and climbing. Enjoy your youth, my son.

Autohaus guest

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

So today I saw a pic of a e28 with front and rear e34 bumpers. Out of nowhere a light bulb appeared in a cloud about 7.5 inches to the upper left hand side of the huge melon on top of my neck. So with my magic wand I mysteriously text a friend who lives nearby who has a e34 parts car. Low and behold I drove my e28 to his house and purchased said front bumper (he sold the rear last week). Now this is a pre 95 bumper, meaning that the bottom part of the bumper is not painted the original color of the bumper (green). However, the PO painted the bottom portion light grey like the e34 M5. I will have a body shop paint the bumper the same color as my e28 (tan) but should I leave the light gray on the bottom or just have the whole bumper painted tan? Luckily, the PO will save the headlights and grills and side/parking lights so we can do a full e34 front conversion on his driveway when the weather gets more friendly. A cheaper alternative to the e28 euro look.

Aside from the front bumper in this pic, it could turn out similar....

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/mmps/...pg&&&outquality=90&ext=.jpg&limitsize=615,500

bcweir

PICS or it didn't happen!! Got an error when I clicked on the link!

Error:
    We're sorry, this page is not available. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please go to pictures.sprintpcs.com in case you are using an old bookmark, which is no longer valid.

Can't wait to see it!

Autohaus guest

Rats. Maybe this will work. I'll take pics of the front bumper I just purchased shortly.

bcweir

What in the heck is THAT hanging off your car's front end?

Sorry, looks like a ricer piece. No offense, but it doesn't look like a very professional front bumper. It looks like its sagging.

Autohaus guest

lol that isn't the front bumper I just got. I used that pic to refer how the car would look with the e34 grills and lights. Sorry for the confusion.

Autohaus guest

Here are some pics of said bumper. Trim is easy to get.

Autohaus guest

And the passenger side. Fog light is a bit off.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

It will not look right. I would skip it if I were you.
    What ever happened to that M-tech kit I tried to get you to get?

Autohaus guest

The shop owner had a heart attack but luckily survived. I haven't kept tabs with him about the euro kit that I have been raving about for the past two years. However, next weekend I might swing by and see if said kit is available. IMHO I think the e34 facelift will look decent.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Why are you not on Mye28.com?
    Do a search there. The bumper maybe, but skip the turns and grilles. The lights take a bit of work to fit properly. If you insist on E34 lights of any kind, the smileys are the way to go.

Autohaus guest

I am on mye28 but I forget about that site :(. I have about 3 posts :eek:.

eam3

I don't know, IMHO one of the most attractive things about the E28 is the shark-like front end that BMWs used to be known for. Just like when they changed the nose on the E23 for 1983. It still looked nice but I missed that aggressive front end of the earlier E23s.

Autohaus guest

Thats fine. I understand the love of the original e28 look. I know most here probably wouldn't approve of this move but I would like to try something out of left field. Whenever this project begins I will update with photos and I'll welcome criticism as well as compliments. Besides, different opinions is what makes the world go round and round.