Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bringing her back from the dead!

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Mar 6, 2009.

Autohaus guest

The seller came up with some excuse as to why he couldn't ship the center caps. Gladly, he did send me a full refund. This was perfect since last month I came across a good set of E38 basketweaves that I will throw on the e28. I'm thinking 205/50 tires over the 205/55's.

CRKrieger

I'd aim for the closest to the original diameter size so as not to end up with a 'short' looking tire. The TRX was originally 15.35" while the M5 was 16", so you can take your cues from there.

bmwdriver99 guest

I know the feeling...

Sounds like a blast..and a few headaches! ...doing the same thing right now with my 535is.. it was practically abandoned for years but so far it's looking good.

Autohaus guest

Yesterday I finally installed the E38 basteweaves with 205-50 tires and she looks hotter than ever :D

az3579

Pics or it never happened.

bcweir

Hey I have those wheels! Good choice!

Check them out if you haven't seen them!

az3579

I've been dying to get my hands on those wheels for a while now, but that extra lug hole really messed up that plan. :(

bcweir

You could try going with the Alpina four-lugs.

They're not cheap, but they do look good, and they're period-correct for 2002's, E21's, and e30's. $3,167 for a set of four including the wheel caps.

http://alpina-usa.com/pdf/e21-e30%20catalog%2011.01.07.pdf

On second thought, you could convert to 5-lugs and (probably) fit the E38 basketweaves to your E30 for a lot less than that.

Just a thought.

az3579

Not worth the expense. I already have a brake kit for my 4-lug setup, so I'd have to get a new brake kit if I wanted to get those wheels, not to mention the cost of all the suspension pieces needed.

Unless...

Anybody selling a CHEAP 5-lug setup? lol

Autohaus guest

I sent you pics the day of and I sent you pics of them yesterday. I'm too lazy to post them here. You post :)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Should have gone for the 205/55, as that is the proper size for the car. You can get those once these are worn out, though.

mooseheadm5

I finally found that Zender air dam I was looking for. I'll sell the BBS one if you are interested. Also, did you ever get that M-tech kit off that junker? I can get you real money for it.

az3579

No, he didn't. :rolleyes:

mooseheadm5

So did it get scrapped or what then?

Autohaus guest

It is still at the guys junk yard behind his shop. He told me to throw him an offer for the whole car. I think he will use his flatbed to delivery to my house. Only problem is that I still haz E28 sitting in front of my garage and my driveway is the dreaded single lane driveway :(

az3579

And you STILL haven't picked up my old engine. :mad:

Autohaus guest

Theo is going to deliver the engine soon to my house so it can be installed into the 2nd e28. I will ask my neighbor if he canz install it.

az3579

Don't forget to snatch the wiring harness from the parts car.
    And definitely, definitely, don't forget to swap the 5-speed when you do. :p

Autohaus guest

wot?

The engine is going in the 5-speed e28. The auto tranny on my 1st e28 is fine. The shifter cable broke so that is why it is stuck in reverse. When you shift from P all the way down to 1 the shifter is moving with ease. In other words it doesn't engage. Mike Miller, Theo and my neighbor told me its the cable.

mooseheadm5

Then buy it and strip it and get rid of the shell. There are plenty of parts on it that are useful, especially if it is an M535i. Hell, I can get you probably around $1k (or more) for the bumpers and side skirts, maybe even get someone to advance you a deposit!