Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bringing her back from the dead!

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Mar 6, 2009.

TeamStowell We love driving!

The things you find on Craigslist...

A local college student has decided not to do anything with a black '87 635 project car he was given, so he has offered to let Patroonies strip anything they need for salvage yard pricing. How about a nice set of black bucket seats for your Fiver? Seriously, if you need anything that may be transferable let me know. Lots of lower rust, but the components seem sound.

Autohaus guest

I can haz S38 for rear apron? :)

Autohaus guest

If the gas tank is the same, let me know buddy. What parts are you taking from it for your euro?

It's a gas (tank) man.

The tank on the 6 should be part #16111176518. I don't believe it has any issues, so if it is a match and you're thinking about it I can ask.

Autohaus guest

Just went to bavauto and I pulled this up:

Gas Tank
    Part # : 16 11 1 176 518
    Shipping Exception $ 349.95

So it is the same :)

CRKrieger

Gas tank, hell! DRIVETRAIN!

Autohaus guest

Is the E24 a 5-speed? If so then I may be interested in the drivetrain (CRKrieger)! The front and rear euro aprons are mine now. I just gotta pick them up :)

No, this is an auto stuck in park. If you are interested in the tank we may begin dismantling it this weekend, and he won't scrap it until later in the summer.

Autohaus guest

Thanks Scott. Let me know how the tank is holding up.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Nope but I would trade you the Euro bumpers and stuff for a set of E28 M5 wheels.

mooseheadm5

What color is the interior? I may be interested in the rear seats.

mooseheadm5

But seriously, my E28 M5 wheels are for sale.

nukie2000 guest

Tming "belt"

E28 535i do not have a timing "belt", they have a self adjusting timing chain guys...
    Its normally not replaced unless its streched beyond the tensioner travel...

nukie2000 guest

Guys, it might sound easy to replace the timing belt, and to a certain extent it is, BUT you put it in wrong and you bend some valves!!...That's why they call them "timing" belts. They time the cam shaft to cracnk shaft. The cam moves the valves in and out and if you put the belt in off by a cogg, the valve hits the piston top!!...Also, to replace you have to remove the harmonic balancer and its retaining center nut that is tightened to something like 450 ft/lbs of torque, which is a lot !!...You need a special tool to hold the crank shaft from turning to do this, at the pressure plate.

Autohaus guest

We were talking about my eta M20 :cool:

Thats why I had my mechanic do it last month. If B and I were to even attempt to tackle that job it would have taken 10 hours :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

I do like my E34 basketweaves and trading the euro bumpers for your M5 wheels would be a huge advantage on your side. You of all people can't get a hold of euro bumpers? I though you were "King of BMW's"? You dissapoint me :(

mooseheadm5

No, you are incorrect. You only have to pull the 6 bolts that hold the balancer on, not the center bolt.

mooseheadm5

Why would that be a huge advantage on my side? E28 M5 wheels are much more rare than the E34 weaves, they are forged, and they are 16". They are worth more than you paid for the euro parts you got.
    And yes, I can get a hold of any euro parts I want, but it is a matter of money. I prefer trading for stuff I have if there is an interested party. At the moment I am on the fence about going euro on the M5 or not. I may just keep it the way it is and add the Zender skirt, or I may go for a BBS air dam I found and the Zender side skirts, or I may be able to trade enough stuff to someone on mye28 for the BMP body kit that he has, but he wants front and rear euro bumpers, which I don't have (I only have a rear right now.) So you see, if I do enough trading, everyone gets parts they want withotu having to spend money they have not already spent.

Black.

I am heading over this week and if you contact me at stowellbmw@aol.com I will send some photos along.

Autohaus guest

Paul, do you want my 535is front air dam? No fogs and its in good condition (scraps on the bottom) but no cracks. Those 16's are rare but they look similar to the E38 stock 16's, don't they?