Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bringing her back from the dead!

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Mar 6, 2009.

Autohaus guest

Hmmm, sounds interesting. What if you had a guy near you recover them and then I can pick them up :). Pics of said seats? I have heard that recovering E28 M5 seats would be over $1K. True or bull? I spoke to a rep from bav recycling and he told me that they don't have any E28 sport seats in stock (I find that hard to believe). However, he was happy to tell me that they would go for $600 each :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

What to do?

:confused:

I took my E28 to a shop that my mechanic recommended to look at the rust issues I have. The shop quoted me $3K not including paint. This price does not include the parts I need. Right off the bat they told me that I should get:

Passenger side rear door
    Drivers side door
    Passenger side qtr panel
    Drivers side fender
    Inner and outer rocker frame/rails

I made a call to another shop I know that would probably do it for less, plus he has a parts car that I can take the body panels off of. If he is in on Saturday I will bring the car so we can put it on the lift and he could give me an estimate. I have two things running around in my mind:

1) Is it worth it or should I just drive it to the ground until the car rots away.
    2) Keep my 1st car that I have ever had for the long haul and have the rust repaired.

I don't plan on doing this now, maybe next year.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Ahh, sentimental attachments. I have a sentimental attachment to just one car. The others are cars and can come and go at my whim. It is really up to you.

I personally would not fix it. You can buy a nice car for $3k. This is not a rare or desireable car. My first was a Peugeot wagon and if I ever saw it again, I'd probably light it on fire.

If, however, you wish to fix it, I'd go buy a parts car immediately. There is a 535is with a front end hit on mye28 right now in NC (that means probably no rust!) It would be good for parts.

Autohaus guest

This body shop that I am gonna go to Saturday has a parts car for $600. It has rust but only in the front end area. Crap, why do I get attached to my cars?

CRKrieger

Sounds high to me. I'd say closer to half that. FWIW, E28 M5 and 535is sport seats are identical except for the Motorsport logo clip. Those sell for ~$10 on ebay ...
    So you're talking to the wrong guys. The best resource, without a doubt, is MyE28.com. Trust me; I'm like the #3 Post Whore over there, but I know who and what is there. I have a set of sport seat frames and most of the padding as well as enough of the upholstery to make patterns to recover them - but these suckers are damned heavy and not really all that rare as long as you're not too picky about condition.

Back to the basic analysis, though, for $3K, I'd start with a good 535is instead of trying to convert a 528e into a lookalike. Hey, I had a riot in my first car, but you can bet your butt I don't have a '63 Pontiac Tempest sitting around any more ...

az3579

+1. My 325e is my first car but don't think for a second that I wouldn't sell it if I had a chance to get a really good M3 for a stupid good price (but by stupid good I meant much much less than they're worth). I'd probably drive it to the ground first, but for $3k I wouldn't bother. If I knew the car had rust problems that would cause some problems later down the road, then I'd sell it now and get something with no rust, and use that as the basis for my "use this car 'till it dies" car. Rust is the biggest PITA I could think of because it requires a lot of $$ to fix, money better spent on performance mods.

mooseheadm5

az3579

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet deal!

I had to admit, I like the red better, but tan sport seats in a red car? Eww. Gimme the black. :D

That M535i you just posted is, as Satch would call it, way bitchin'. :cool:

Autohaus guest

I guess I will do just that :(. I had this car since I was 18 and its approaching 13 years this December. As I told B, this car has been with me for like 35-40% of my life. As long as the tires/wheels shine and the paint is good and the car runs great I'll be happy :)

I could buy the M535i here instead of that. Plus, that car (boise) needs paint and is eons away. However, if I were to ever buy that M535i here, I would need to throw $1K into it to get a new ignition switch, tranny rear seal, oil leak (VCG) and power steering hose. Or maybe just save enough dough and get the car I really want:

E34 ///M5

mooseheadm5

I thought the local M535i had rust? The one listed in Boise is listed by a mye28 member, BTW. Don't be so quick to dismiss a car because of distance. You would be surprised what you can find far away and cheap. I once saw an E34 M5 in Texas for something like $4500 due to high mileage (highway.) It didn't look scammy either. Save those pennies and get the car you want. There are scads of people unloading nice old cars because they can't afford to have a toy any more. Turbo E28s and E34s, old M cars, nice E24s, etc.

CRKrieger

And you would be surprised who in the MyE28 'Network' would help to get it to you. I once flew to Raleigh, NC to drive a car to Milwaukee for an E28 guy - for expenses only. Cost him ~$300. I did that to pay forward the favor another guy did driving a car for me from Palm Beach to Memphis - for expenses.

Autohaus guest

I will stick to my guns and drive the E28 to the ground and save my money for something nice down the line. I change my mind every 2 minutes :(. If I have to travel to pick up that car, then so be it. Maybe I'll fly out with my son to pick it up while wifey gets ready for another baby, er car!

Autohaus guest

Finally, the sport steering wheel came in today so I rushed to my mechanic to borrow some tools (I need to get to Sears and purchase a tool set) :eek:. After calling B for a tip I got the old wheel out and the new one in. I also replaced the B pillar on the drivers side with a 9/10 unit from a 83 533i. My interior is looking better and better now. All I need is tan seat covers and a gas tank :eek:

EDIT:

Also tires.

Autohaus guest

I have the opportunity to get a euro front spoiler with lights (one of the turning signals has no lense) and a euro rear spoiler for $300/maybe a bit less. Both are painted black and the shop that has them will assist me in removing them from the donor car. The front has some scuff marks and the rear has a small crack near the passenger side near the top. No biggie. My e28 will never be garage queen status but I figured I should give it a go with these spoilers. B and I could probably sand it down and have it ready for painting (body shop) and my mechanic said he can install them. I saw the spoilers today so I should have taken my camera to show you guys. Next time....

CRKrieger

FWIW, the Euro rear spoiler is the same as the M5 & 535is spoiler. If it isn't the same, it is simply an optional spoiler that was offered through the dealer ... or from the aftermarket. The front one may require some work to get it to fit around the US bumper mountings as well as onto your front roll pan, depending on which one it is.

Autohaus guest

My mistake, its not the trunk spoiler but the euro rear apron.

mooseheadm5

You don't want those on your rusty old eta. Just send them to me :)

Autohaus guest

That.....was vicious :mad:

mooseheadm5

But I needz them for my fire damaged M5 :)

az3579

Are you friggin' kidding me? You, of all people, trying to "steal" from the needy? Shame on you!
    You can get one in a heartbeat if you wanted one bad enough! :rolleyes: