Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bringing her back from the dead!

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Mar 6, 2009.

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Well hell

So I was talking to wifey about selling you the M5. She says no. She has a sentimental attachment to an M5 because I had one when we met. Sure, it wasn't this one, but they all look alike. So it seems that I am pulling the rug out from under your swap plans, but in reality, I am not. Why, you ask? It's wifey's fault. You wanna go toe to toe with her, go for it, but you had better bring a pile of cash to buy her off (or you can buy my brother's pristine M5 for $16k.) :D
    Sorry to dash your hopes, buddy. You could still go straight for the big6 swap with the proper parts car (complete, not picked over with a manual trans.)

az3579

Eh? I want a wife like that...

Instead of hearing
    "We have to sell your car because we need a minivan!"

you'd hear

"If you dare sell that M5 we're getting a divorce!"

Man... :D

mooseheadm5

She is pretty fantastic! She would rather we keep the car then spend the money on the house! She actually appreciated the gift of the M50 318ti. I think I'll go tell her how cool she is.

az3579

You'd better! I wouldn't mind an M50 318ti as a gift. :p

So Chris, this baby's gonna be renovated. I think you'll be more than happy to restore it.

Autohaus guest

No biggie (smalls) Paul. I'll just shove a S62 in my E28 :). UPDATE:

My mechanic called me up this evening and told me that some parts (2 hoses and 4 little pieces that go with the VCG-I forget the name-$1.50 part each) weren't in the shipment of parts from Bavauto. I remember the guy over the phone on Monday morning telling me that all parts were in stock. So I called up bavauto and they told me that those parts were on back order. I told them to refund my card and cancel the shipment of those parts as my mechanic will get them faster :rolleyes:. I can't wait until the 3 spoke steering wheel arrives. I hope I get it by Friday. However, on the M5 seats, I might be losing out. My max bid is at $335 and its currently at $300! It ends tomorrow night. I might just lose out on those seats.

mooseheadm5

Now you know why we don't like customers supplying their own parts. You are missing the cam plugs. Those seats are rare and in good shape, so good luck there. If I had over $335 to throw at them, I'd bid if they went over your max.

Autohaus guest

They have been slacking off lately. PITA!!! What is the most you would pay for those seats?

mooseheadm5

I wouldn't, but new leather for them goes for around $700 each if that helps. $5-600 for the pair would not be a bad deal if you needed M5 seats. I already have good seat frames (well, 2 pair actually) but will need to either piece them together or deal with the bad spots.

az3579

Who's been slacking off, BavAuto? For sure. They sent me the wrong part, twice in a row. It isn't worth my time or effort for a $4.95 part, but you'd think they'd get it right the second time. Sheesh.

Honestly, Chris, Those seats are better than my seats in every way, and I paid $565 for them after shipping. You won't find seats in that good a condition very often, so I say raise your max bid.

Autohaus guest

Peer pressure from fellow cca members :)

Autohaus guest

The bid for the seats ends around 11 tonight and its still at $300. I expect others to be on it seconds before it ends. I must be quick to the trigger (I mean keyboard).

Autohaus guest

Got my car back from the shop on Saturday but I didn't win the bid for the M5 seats. However, I did manage to pick up a cheap set of door panels (mine were torn up) that are in mint condition for $20! I installed them and they look great. Sport steering wheel should arrive this week. Next on the list will be tires and two basketweaves on Ebay and a suspension kit (upper, lower, sway bars, etc...).

Autohaus guest

I have contacted numerous vendors from the Roundel and I have came up empty on trying to locate E28 powered sport seats in tan (cloth or leather). I am on the phone with bav recycling hoping that they have some available.

az3579

Stop right there, mister!

5 speed swap > sport seats

Remember that. :p

So until you get that 5-speed in there, I don't wanna hear your ramblings about sport seats. :D

Autohaus guest

I would like to take care of the body (rust) before I even think of doing the 5-speed swap. That will require lots of time and $$$.

az3579

True dat...

Autohaus guest

Sport wheel still hasn't arrived yet :mad:

CRKrieger

For the kind of prices you're starting to look at, consider picking up a set of crappy ones and recovering them. Either that or relax, sit back, and wait for the right set of used ones to show up on MyE28 ...

Autohaus guest

I just registered for Mye28 today :D

mooseheadm5

It won't let me register at myE28 using mooseheadm5. I'm trying to find a B35 for the 535is and a couple of M5 interior parts. I peeked into the M5 again and it is in better shape than I remember. If the seats are good enough after closer inspection, I'll sell you my other set that are not so good for cheap and you can recover them. They won't be going anywhere, so no rush.