Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2010 M3 Engine

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by baz99, Mar 3, 2009.

baz99 guest

Any info on the 2010 M3 motor. Twin turbo, hp, torque?

gobuffs

Same answer you got on m3post. No motor change...won't get a diffferent motor until the body style changes.

Davidd119 guest

It wont be here until 2013 as a 2014 model. Either Twin turbo or single turbo
    V6 or inline 6 (stretch possibility of a four cylinder) and it will have major
    focus on lightweight.
    I did read this from a BMW source.
    D

BlueAngel M3 guest

If I recall it will be a turbocharged V6 and will have less HP than the current V8.

az3579

BMW has never done a V6 engine. But, until the 335i, hasn't done a turbo one yet in the US market either...

Only then will the 4-cylinder concept make sense. It's not like BMW to put a 4-cylinder engine in a modern M3. It'd have to be one seriously light snowflake to pull that one off, unless they top Mitsubishi and Subaru and make a million horsepower triple turbocharged 4-pot...
    Seeing as modern safety standards are quite different from the last time they used a 4-pot in an M-car, I think this is highly unlikely.

Also, why would BMW change to a V6 all of a sudden? It was my understanding that an I-6 engine has more torque, and is much smoother in operation because of the I-6's design. Did that site have any info on that?

Where'd this info come from? I'd like to read up on it...

BlueAngel M3 guest

I don't know why BMW would go V6, but this is what I read somewhere in a BMW magazine. I'm not thrilled about it either. If they do go V6 I will surely miss the inline 6. The only thing I know for sure why they are going V6 turbo or twin turbo in the M3 is due to fuel economy and world wide emissions. I still have my trust in BMW when it comes to engines so I'm not too worried.

bimmer5

Will remain the superb S65 V8 :)

bimmer5

Maybe a V6 - they have not ruled out an I-6, but V6 a more compact solution. Will probably have more torque than present v8 though.

SchnuckiE30 guest

M3 Engine

V-6: Ganz Verboten! or as the NFL would put it, strictly prohibited.

Is there any word on an attempt to carve out, oh, about 500 Lbs from the E92M3? This car sure has it's work cut out for it against an entry-level Vette and a few others.

Cheers >>>>>

az3579

E92 M3 GTS. It's a lighter-weight version, with the same V8 but tuned for more power, and it's completely street legal. Think of it as the CSL version that the E46 had, but with more oomph and a better noise.
    Naturally, us Americans won't get it, only the Euros.

BlueAngel M3 guest

They always get the good stuff & we get the crap! :mad:

bcweir

A BMW V6 is as likely as electing me to BMW chairman of the board.

After all that money they've invested in the N5x inline engines, they're certainly not going to throw it all away any time soon.

The inline six has now become something of a signature BMW product. Everybody else has largely given up on inline engines larger than four cylinders. Except for GM, and their inline 5 in the Canyon and Colorado is pretty much a POS, pardon my french.

BMW's inline six has won awards year after year.

az3579

And they will continue to do so, because they will continue to make inline-6's. How much do you want to bet that the next M3's engine will be an I-6 AND will win another engine award?

Of course not, otherwise they would have developed a new engine to go in the cars like the 1-series, 5-series, and the Z4. It doesn't seem like BMW will be abandoning I-6's anytime soon, and will probably start turbocharging more of them to boot.

bcweir

We certainly haven't seen the last of the I-6 from BMW by a long shot

BMW had previously reported they switched to a V8 because they had thought they had developed the S54 engine about as far as they could take it. They may have believed that to be true at the time they were designing the current M3, but they may not feel the same way now.

As a result, BMW may be taking another look at the I-6 or even returning to it in another form.

BMW is largely on a trend towards developing more power from smaller engines. The one exception is probably their V12 in the F01/F02 7-series. The 6.0L V12 hardly fits in very well with this smaller-engine trend, but I believe they kept it onboard both as a technology flagship and a technology showcase. The 760 is, relatively speaking, a low-volume model compared with all the other cars BMW sells. Personally, I'd like to see them return the V12 to its original 5.0L configuration and develop that with turbocharging instead. It would fit in better with their current path of extracting more power from smaller engines. Although an F01 owner who can afford the note on a top tier vehicle like that will hardly complain about fuel costs, I doubt that improving their efficiency without sacrificing power will hurt any 7-series owners' feelings.

BMW previously went with such large displacement engines because it was economically cheaper to do so. Now that BMW can build very small engines with a relatively large power output at a price friendly to their bottomline, that's probably where they are going to go, unless they come up with an even better idea to get more power for lower costs.

Turbos have a long history of being very economical ways of getting big engine power without the big engine cost and weight. Going with a single turbo will certainly simplify the engines mechanically while lowering costs, especially if they can do it without a drop in power.

SchnuckiE30 guest

M3gts

I've seen some preview videos and another brief review but no data. Does it have dual control-arms and a transaxle like the M3GT2?

Is this ride really going to cost $170,000? :eek:
    Thanks for the updates!!

bcweir

I see a couple of problems with selling such an expensive automobile

I suppose they "COULD" but why would they build such an expensive machine?

BMW makes some really great cars, but lets not forget, they are not just in the car-making business, but they also have to be in the MONEY-MAKING business.

BMW already owns Rolls Royce, and that $170K price tag comes really close to cannibalizing sales of some equally expensive cars. The problem with selling purpose built race cars is three fold:

a) if they are bought by racers, they're going to get the snot run out of them. These cars are run hard, driven hard, and usually sold without being reconditioned or repaired. As such, these are going to be very expensive machines to bring back into running order, especially with the exotic hardware you're talking about

b) the ones that don't get snapped up by racers are usually snapped up by wealthy collectors, who immediately put them in a spotless private museum, preventing you and I from ever seeing them except in the pages of magazines.

c) The U.S. economy is recovering, but we're still nowhere near the sort of car buying climate BMW would need to justify selling such an expensive car on our shores. Even so, I don't see BMW risking selling such an expensive car on our shores in this economic climate. They kind of have their hands full already with their existing product line.

speedy99 guest

I thought the next generation M3 was going to use a turbo V8 (500HP). BMW is starting to put the turbo V8 in lots of models now. The M3 is not so concerned with emissions (at least the current MY!) - so I don't see why they would make the engine smaller.