Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Friggin' Snow!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by drummerfc, Mar 2, 2009.

Autohaus guest

I'm losing my mind. I feel like a gambler. You know how they keep losing money but keep on gambling to win? I keep applying but nuttin! I know I'll get a job in this lifetime, I just know it! Was that coffee regular or decaf?

Bimmerdan

Have you ever considered buying your own business? I know the thought of that in today's economy will send a lot of people running and screaming but my wife and I have talked about that at length and we both agree that if, for any reason, I were to lose my job, we would enter the world of the self-employed. There are a lot of really strong, well established, financially viable (even in today's economy!) small businesses for sale out there and many of them are seller financed and/or pre-approved SBA. My logic is that if a business is doing well right now, imagine how strong it will be when things turn around.

It's just a thought and it's clearly not for everyone but I figured I would toss it out there.

Just for fun, you can browse some businesses for sale here: www.bizbuysell.com

Oh...it was regular coffee...I don't do decaf!!

Autohaus guest

Buying my own business? I can't even buy a gallon of milk :eek:. Seriously, I have never though of that. However, if I were to do that I wouldn't get income for a while, plus I won't be able to collect unemployment while I start things up. That, my friend, is something I cannot afford to do. Unless I do:

Fire Sale:

87 528eA-$1000
    01 525iM-$5000
    03 325xiA-$6500

:rolleyes:

Bimmerdan

Yeah, I'm not sure how the whole unemployment thing would work when you buy a business. The "going without a paycheck for a while" thing is exactly the reason we decided to only look at established businesses that already have a healthy revenue stream coming in from day one. There is NO WAY I would ever consider doing a start-up business these days! If I was in my 20's and didn't have a family/mortgage to worry about, I might consider a start-up but not at my age!!

A good friend of mine used to be our V.P. or Sales and whenever one of the salespeople would come to him and say "The customer said no."...he would say "That's GREAT because you're one step closer to somebody saying yes!" . He was right too because it's just all a numbers game. Same thing applies to the resume/interview process. Every "no" is just one step closer to a "yes". :)

Autohaus guest

Yes means no and no means yes. I just gotta keep my head up :)

az3579

Just eat Audi. It's not like he won't be enough for a few weeks. :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

Audi is an A6, so he would be more than enough for two weeks :D. For all of you, Audi is my cat. Back to the main subject, I can't wait 'till the snow melts. It should be gone by Friday (supposed to be in the 50's).

az3579

Well, here's a shot after our last snow storm. I cleared off the snow that morning and look at all the ice that was on the car as I was walking to it after work! All that formed in just a day at work; most of it was cleared off before I headed to work that morning:

[IMG]

My wheels are so dirty now a couple of days after that pic that Chris would never want to talk to me again if he saw it... :(

Autohaus guest

Send the pic to Bavauto so you can win the "BMW in the winter" contest.

az3579

I'm a little annoyed with BavAuto. Let me rephrase, and royally p*ssed at BavAuto right now. First they send me either the wrong lightbar for my OBC or a defective one, I haven't quite figured it out yet. Then they send me the wrong part for something else. I ordered a stupid little clip and they send me some kind of license plate thing for a Z3. WTF?

Autohaus guest

Funny because I am too pissed with Bavauto. They sent me a CPS a few months ago but that part failed. I have it in hand and sent them an email about it but they never got back to me. I'm gonna finally call them up and get my $64.95 back!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Speaking of winter. . .

I usually go along with Dan when you Snow Belters start whimpering, sending along San Diego weather reports and griping when I have to roll my sleeves back down. But just for nostalgia's sake, I drove up to the Bay Area this week to pick up a friend's iX that has been weighing down the floor at Dinan's House O' Pain for about a year. . . and drove it over Donner Summit just before they closed I-80 for about twelve hours! (Studded Happapeliittas all around, no problemo---but in the snowy fog, it was like driving through a milk bottle.)

Of course, I lived in Alaska for 35 years. Every once in a while it's good to get out in that crap and remember why I now live in San Diego!

drummerfc

Something I've wanted to do for years and finally just booked the friggin' thing. The in-laws live in Bradenton so free lodging! I'm sitting in Tampa airport right now, waiting to board a delayed flight back to Philly...baaahhh :(

But what a great 8 days...high 70s/low 80s EVERY SINGLE DAY, not a drop of rain, low humidity!! :D:D Took in 2 Phillies games ('08 CHAMPS BABY!!), one Pirates game, a Tampa Bay Lightning game (god they SUCK) and smacked the little white ball all over a course. And I do mean *all over*.

Ahh Well...Back to work tomorrow :mad:...can't play forever (at least not now)...

drummerfc

Not sure about that...if you start out as a "sole-proprietor" and/or collect cash and checks made out to you only, you may be able to circumvent that whole scene.

Some advice, just my .02/humble opinion...use that talent you have and set yourself up in business where your talent is your commodity. I know - easier said than done but indulge for a minute...for example, if you are an accountant, you could set up your own tax service with a laptop and a licensed copy of tax software...not much overhead at all and you could set up office out of your home.

Otherwise, perhaps there's a niche that requires someone like yourself to use their expertise and consult/advise...for a price of course! :) Myself - I am an independent contract computer programmer, specializing in the clinical research field. There is A LOT of work in my industry if you know what you are doing (or can talk a good game like me :D). I charge by the hour on a contract basis, and the work is long term.

Point is - just because companies are laying off/downsizing doesn't mean the work has disappeared. It's out there...!! We all just have to change the way we find it.

Autohaus guest

Pics or it didn't happen :D

I have to do something because I don't want to collect unemployment for the next year! All this applying and nothing at all. The problem with starting my own accounting gig is that I don't have a CPA and I have never worked for a CPA. I did alot of accounting work but most won't consider me a "rock hard accountant". Let us know how your first day back at work goes.

drummerfc

Peectures?? I don't got no peectures...I don't need no peectures...I don't have to show you any steenkin' peectures!!! :D Besides - got the tan to prove it...

Understood. Like I said...just my suggestion/.02/opinion. Can you do tax returns while studying for the CPA?? I know some folks who are not CPAs, but are accounting and tax-savvy, and do simple returns for the everyday guy. OK - DOWN OFF THE SOAP-BOX FOR ME NOW! :)

If I run into anything that might seem like it's up your alley, I'll clue ya in...

First day at work was a blast, a real joy. Nothing like leaving 80 degree weather to return to 30s/40s and a pile of emails/actions to undertake! Seriously, it wasn't bad but I think that's because it was Friday. Talk to me next week...

Autohaus guest

Off topic (as I usually am) but does your E39 have sport seats and the 3-spoke steering wheel?

drummerfc

Sho' 'nuf it does! :D

az3579

Don't hate, Chris. :D