Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E34 wheels on E28?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Autohaus, Mar 2, 2009.

Autohaus guest

Do all wheels that fit on a E34 fit on a E28? I currently have basketweaves from a E34 535i that I had, however, I would like to know if 17 inch Miglia wheels that came from an E34 can fit on an E28. Here is the pic.

John in VA

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

They bolt right up, but don't go over 205s unless you have the proper offset and roll the fender lips like the M5 has. That and 17s on an E28 is pretty ridiculous and you will have less straight line traction if the tires are too wide and the acceleration, braking, ride, and handling will suffer from the overly heavy MM wheels. We had a customer with silly 17s on a 535is that complained about the wheels locking up all the time. Took it for a test drive and confirmed that it was very easy to lock them up because the tires were riding on the inside edge most of the time. It rode like a buckboard, too.

Autohaus guest

So 16's would be the limit for an E28? I need new tires so I was wondering if I should stick with the basketweaves or find a used set of 16's or 17's but if 17's cause problems like your customer had then no way Jose!

John in VA

16s are only slightly larger than the stock 390mm TRX wheels, and many look good & work well on the cars. Some of the mye28ers are running 17" & even 18" wheels, but the added weight is a penalty and wider tires can cause the interference mentioned. 205s (or 225s on the back with a staggered setup) are plenty big, without the stress on the suspension components.

mooseheadm5

16s are perfect on an E28 M5, and basically every other customer E28 I have driven. My brother runs throwing star 17s on his E28 M5, but that thing sees little street use, so he doesn't really care. Also, he has made quite a few suspension mods (adj. camber plates and slotted rear subframe.) On your stock 528e, you might regret it. One more thing, wide tires and big wheels on an E28 tend to crack the steering box mounts. No fun to fix without a welder and a lift.

Autohaus guest

Well my E28 isn't completely stock. It does have Bilstein sport shocks and bav auto springs and the "is" front air dam but we all know a E28 M5 can run circles around my E28 in nuetral. My E28 is a Sunday car so it won't be used as a double D. The guy never got back to me about those 17's so I guess I'll move on. I also though about buying them for my father so he could put them on his 95 E34 but he would blow a head gasket if I did that :)

mooseheadm5

Want some E38 bastketweaves? They are 16" in good shape and nice and wide. Only one caveat. They have been ghettofied (chrome.)

Autohaus guest

az3579

Why on earth would you even CONSIDER getting those other wheels? The baskets are soooooooo much cooler!

Autohaus guest

Because I need new tires and plus two of the wheels are slightly bent :(. I figured that if I needed to get new tires and two wheels from ebay it would be the more than this set. The guy finally wrote back last night so I might see them sometime this week. If the tires are too wide (wider than 205) than I will let my father have them for his E34 and I will take his honeycomb 15's and put them on the E28.

CRKrieger

Actually, the TRX wheels are just slightly more than 15 1/3" (15.354"), so a 15" is closer than the 16". That said, the rest is pretty accurate. Some misguided souls still think 17" and 18" wheels work on those cars. I don't. The biggest I run is a 16" - but the 15s feel better.

granthr

+1 I like a nice 5 spoke, but my preference are basket weaves! They just look perfect on BMWs and most German cars! :D

Autohaus guest

Ok ok! You guys have peered pressured me in keeping them :)

az3579

Good. The 5-spokes you posted were butt ugly. :p

Autohaus guest

Hey, lets not get nuts here! I think they would look better on an E34 than an E28. However, I did talk to a guy with an E32 750iL at the carwash today that had those same wheels and it did look sharp.

Autohaus guest

mooseheadm5

They look like E39 rims so you would need centering rings. You may need to roll your fenders or run 205s. They are probably 7.5" wide wheels if they are from an E39, so 205s or 225s should be fine. See if you can get more info. 17s are too tall for your car though, and I would not receommend them. Want a set of (ugh) chromed E38 basketweaves? You would want to have the chrome stripped and then paint or powdercoat them, but they are cheap. 16x8" means that you can run 225s if you roll the fenders up front. The rears ought to clear with 225s, but that will depend on the tire.

Autohaus guest

Chrome is not for me. I would like the same 15's I have on it or maybe the 16's your talking about. I know the stock wheels for the E38 16's are a 235 size so would getting 205's for the front be fine with 225's for the rear w/o fender rolling?

mooseheadm5

Usually you can pull off 225s on the rear without issue, but there is always the chance due to tire and fender manufacturing tolerances. Chrome is not for me either. I traded a trans for them and have not had the time or reason to have the chrome stripped from them and have them powder coated so they are up for grabs cheap. I also have a set of E28 M5 wheels for sale not cheap if you are interested.