Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

touchless car wash and one other question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jgilbert, Feb 26, 2009.

jgilbert

Being that the weather here as been chilly I have been going to a touchless car at least weekly if not twice a week. The wash option is one where I get some type of wax and protecting stuff. Been doing this since I got the car in late Dec. Will this be an issue? Once the weather stays above 40 or so will be doing my own washing. But till then touchless it is.

My next question is when doing a weekly hand wash, is it better to use two mitts (one for the top half and another for the bottom) or a good boar's hair brush?

Many thanks

Lonestar5

Since a touchless car wash doesn't really get the car very clean that wax is pretty useless.

More useful than using two mitts would be using two buckets. One bucket to rinse the mitt, the other bucket to hold the wash/shampoo. Rinse the mitt each time before dipping it into the wash bucket.

zaxjax guest

Lonestar it the nail on the head on both questions

Qunadry

In Western MA there is a chain of touchless car washs called Laser. I do not know how they do it, but the car always comes out clean. I have been using them on all my cars since they opened in 2002. If they have Laser in your area, I recommend using them. Their clear coat protectant is worth the extra dollar as is the under carriage rinse.

granthr

+2 I stay away from car washes altoghther. They do not make my cars happy! :( The high pressure of the "touchless" can take that precious wax off that (hopefully) you worked so hard to put on in the fall.

Keep your mit clean and the soap will also lubricate so you don't damage the paint. Unless you are driving in rain/snow/salt, once a week hand wash is probably sufficient.

wretched

Griots

+1 on the two bucket idea this is a great way to keep your paint nice.

Now then being in michigan my poor car is always a mess. I frequent the touch less car wash weekly and it doesn't even come close to getting the grime off. But it does take salt and big stuff off so it is still worth it! Almost overtime the car has grim left and something gets splashed on it during the drive home.

Here is my solution:

GRIOTS! I use there waterless car wash with a few of there micro fiber matching towels. This will take the grim off! DO NOT let it dry on the paint they recommend against this!
    Second step is there spray on wax again used with the matching microfiber towel. This is great because even if your car is still a little wet you can spray it on and dry the car while waxing.

This is the only way I can keep my self sane trying to protect my car. This is just my way and you will get as many opinions as there are products to use. Good luck and let us know how you are dealing with it.

Damien
    1 people like this.

pcbeckwith

Since most BMW dealerships in my area offer courtesy washes, is this a problem with the cars finish?

John in VA

They can courteously scratch the finish of your car as readily as the next guy! You should do your best to have your car and engine compartment clean when taking it in for service. They might get the impression that you CARE for it, v. your average lessee.
    Ask what the policy is if any damage is inflicted on the car by their wash staff.

M3Driver guest

Not to 'jack the thread here, but I have been wondering how the Griot's Waterless Car Wash works and have been debating on ordering for a while. I might have to order some and give it a try....

granthr

I never let anyone else wash my cars! :cool:

az3579

I don't have the Griot's version, but I do have the Eagle 1 Bucketless wash that I got from our local auto store and I quite like it. It's a "one-panel-at-a-time" type of deal where if you spray, you have to go over it with a mitt or else it'll dry there pretty quickly, but I find it to be very easy to use. I would use it over a two-bucket solution any day, mostly because the bucket solution takes way too long to prepare and requires too much "equipment".

John in VA

wretched

The Griots water less wash works well. I never use it with out pressure washing the car first though! I also use two of the microfiber towels that you can get in the kit. These things are soft and fluffy! I use one to wipe the grim then a second one in my other hand to dry it. I use the same practice now with the spray on wax.

M3Driver guest

That's a good idea; use a pressure washer to knock the loose crap off first. I think I will order some with my next order and see how it works....

cheers...:)

Lonestar5

If you pressure wash the car first, is it still considered a water less wash?

M3Driver guest

Details, details.....:)

wretched

I do not actually use it as a water wash alone just to clean the bits that are grimy and that get splashed on the way home from the car wash! So ill stick my neck out and say if the drive home is longer then five minutes its waterless... Unless it gets splashed a lot! :p

jgilbert

The one good thing about the car wash I use is the under body wash. I keep hearing about using a lawn sprinkler for the DIY'er Wonder if any here have don that.
    Now that the weather is breaking, hi today 65, should be able to do the job myself. And looking forward to waxing the car for the very first time!

wretched

Thats a great idea! I wonder if you could hook it to a pressure washer from sears... sounds dangerous! Sounds like you are n or near Michigan! Same warm weather here today! I want to wash and wax but have sick kids... :mad: bummer...

Lonestar5

Yes, I agree. If your kids are sick they should not be outside washing your car. Wait until they are feeling better. And make sure they use microfiber cloths to buff off the wax to prevent swirls and scratch marks, especially on a black car.