Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 xi CPO coverage

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Autohaus, Feb 25, 2009.

Autohaus guest

The xi's vibrations won't go away :mad:. After getting the left lower control arm replaced and getting a tire balance/rotation last week the vibration/steering wheel shimmy is still present at any speed. It comes and goes. Then today I took it to a tire shop to get new rear tires installed and I knew a tech who worked at this shop who is a former BMW tech. I requested him to look at the car. Turns out I have a frozen passenger side caliper which has caused the vibration/shimmy. I also have a broken rear spring (no cause of my problem). I wonder why recently the passenger side wheel had so much brake dust compare to the drivers side wheel. I went to my local dealer and they told me that everything would be covered including brakes since the passenger side rotor is overheating but they can't give me a loaner because I didn't buy the car there (what a bunch of crap imho). So I called up Prestige in NJ and they will take me in Friday morning with a loaner. However, they will not replace the other spring since it isn't defective so the other spring would have to come out of my pocket. However, as many of you know that I am a unemployed bum :eek: I have opted to not have the other spring replaced. They quoted me at $400 parts/labor for the other spring. What a crime! I have heard that changing a rear spring on a E46 is easy and quick. I gotta milk out as much warranty work out of BMW before the CPO expires next month.

Autohaus guest

So this morning I left my house at 6am to be one of the first to get a loaner at Prestige. I got a X3 as a loaner and my SA called me up within a 1/2 hour after I left confirming what I had told them. They are going to change the front brakes-pads &rotors again(they were changed during Inspection II last month) and they are going to replace the passenger side caliper. They will also replace the LR spring and they are going to check up on the rear brakes (covered under maintenance). Over $1K of work being done all for $50 plus tax :cool:. They told me that I should replace the other spring but they quoted me for $403 parts and labor but I told them I'll pass. Does anyone know if the E46 will sit at an angle in the rear now since the RR spring has 86K miles and the LF spring has 0 miles :confused:

az3579

No, unless your springs are damaged, though I can't imagine how that would be possible. It shouldn't matter how many miles the springs have as long as they're in good condition.

Autohaus guest

OK guys I am at a loss here. My wife said the xi still vibrates but now it seems to happen under acceleration only at highway speeds. After having the worn control arm bushing replaced, balanced/rotated/alignment (no bent wheels) and BMW replacing the frozen calipers I am still having problems :mad:. Since its after business hours I emailed my SA and told him about the problem. He told me last week after the car was done that the tech looked over the car and found no problems since they knew the CPO would expire on March 24th of this year. Bottom line: I think its the driveshaft and/or transfer case (AWD) system acting up :mad:

BIMMIR guest

Are you close enogh to another BMW garage to try another one for a second opinion while you are still under CPO?

Autohaus guest

The problem is that the dealer about 10 miles away only gives loaners to customers who purchased a car at the dealership. That is such a stupid rule :mad:. Plus, the loaners they have are nice (335's, 535's, etc...). At Prestige I get either a X3 or a 328i XDrive. I am going to see if other dealers around the area (Westchester) can give me a loaner. I was looking online at other forums about xi problems and I have read horror stories. Dealers would have the car in for a month with the same problems I am having (vibration upon accelration) installing new driveshafts/transfer cases, etc... My wife would flip if her car has to be in that long but at least we would get a loaner and new expensive parts replaced for $50 :). They know my warranty is about to expire in 3 weeks so they better change out as many parts as possible. Moosehead, what is your opinion?

Autohaus guest

Just got a call from Mt. Kisco BMW and they will take me in with a loaner next Thursday. I called up my mechanic and he believes its the driveshaft. He has a 05 325xi at his shop that has the same problems as I do so he told me he has to remove the driveshaft to see if thats the problem. If I let Prestige look at it again I have a feeling that they will BS me around. I think its time I let another dealer check it out. Hopefully I can get a E60 as a loaner!

BIMMIR guest

Good for you man, get it to another garage, get a second opinion and get that bad boy fixed under warrantee before you get hosed. I think you are dead on about dealer #1.
    I hear you about the concern about a loaner, but, if you don't get it fixed under warrantee, it's your dime later to fix it, with no loaner.

Autohaus guest

Well here is the thing. The SA from Prestige is begging me to bring it in on Monday morning with a loaner. I feel that this would be a win win situation and I'll explain why:

Several SA's in the tri state area I spoke with over the phone this morning told me that it could either be the front shaft (aka half shaft-front axles), driveshaft, differential or all of the above. All would be covered under CPO. So lets say Prestige pulls a fast one on me and they tell me they can't diagnose the problem. I'll pick it up, pay the stupid $125 fee and go to the appointment on Thursday in Mt. Kisco with a loaner, have them find the problem and file a complaint against Prestige to refund my money and complain to BMW NA that they failed to fix the problem but another dealer did. My wife told me when it shakes the steering wheel doesn't vibrate at all and she feels the chassis vibrate under acceleration. However, it only happens after 10 miles of highway driving which means the drivetrain needs to be fully warmed up before it starts acting up. I told the Prestige SA about this and he said they will check it out. Now if they call me Monday afternoon saying that they can't replicate the problem then I will demand I take the service manager AND tech for a road test and say, "there you go, ya see"! I will have to remind the SA Monday morning for the tech to drive for a good 15-10 minutes on the highway for him/her to feel the vibration. Sorry for the book but I'm just pissed that they didn't find this problem last week when they changed the calipers/brakes/rear spring.

az3579

Well if for whatever reason you go to the other dealer and get a 335i or something equivalent as a loaner, you are REQUIRED to call me and take me for a ride (or better :D)!!

Autohaus guest

I don't know man. I just came back from a 1/2 ride and I really didn't feel it vibrate. Now Carol is mad at me :). I will have my mechanic drive it either Friday or Saturday and I'll see what he says.