Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Parts Sources?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by BIMMIR, Feb 22, 2009.

BIMMIR guest

I'm looking for a source for bmw parts other than the dealership. I can find places where I can view the scematics and get part numbers but not order.

I"m looking for 2 parts for a 2007 BMW X3.
    I need a trim bezel that goes around the drivers side fog light, in ti silver. I think the part # is 51110415733
    I also need a new dark ash wood trim plate on the front of my console around the shifter.
    I think the part # is 51453436482.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks everyone - Tim

TeamStowell We love driving!

Everyone has their favorites, and by the 10th response you will probably have a list 50 vendors long. Never assume online is cheaper. Check with the dealer for a BMW CCA discount, and take a look in Roundel for dealerships across the nation who take up to 20%off.

That being said, my favorites in no particular order are bavauto.com, autohausaz.com, pelicanparts.com, and BMPdesign.com.

1996 328ti guest

Not sure where you would get a genuine BMW part other than a dealer.

www.getbmwparts.com

51110415733 $99.13
    51453436482 $242.07

granthr

+1 Bav Auto does sell genuine BMW parts sometimes. But they sell parts from the original equipment supplier when they can b/c it is cheaper. Same for the others I believe. But give Bav Auto a BMW p/n and they can almost always get it.

1996 328ti guest

Pelican Parts $313.25
    BavAuto $302.95
    BMW dealer $242.07 (20% off MSRP)

granthr

Yes, I agree the your local Dealership is a great place to get parts. I use them a lot and you don't have to pay shipping. But you really need to price shop b/c they can be more expensive. My local dealer only offers 10% off for BMW CCA members, which is still great, but not 20% as some places in Roundel offer.

az3579

Agreed. I was just putting together a list of things I need for my car and found that for a couple of the items, BavAuto was significantly cheaper than the dealer price, but on the rest of the stuff, is significantly more expensive as well. Price-shop!

BIMMIR guest

Wow - Just when you think you're all alone with an issue! You guys are great THANKS!

az3579

Just an update: today I checked dealer prices and I want to correct myself in my previous statement. I said that in some cases the dealer prices are cheaper. This was in RealOEM.
    After checking with the dealer, I'm amending my statement to "the dealer prices are ALWAYS a LOT more expensive".

Places like BavAuto do carry parts that aren't OEM, but aftermarket. Most of the time those parts work just fine. I think they do have some OEM parts though, but I'm not sure.

One thing's for sure; for my shopping list for today (keep in mind I just spent nearly a grand into cooling refresh in my car - I've spent enough already) consisted of a ~$140 price tag from BavAuto AFTER shipping compared to BMW's price quote of ~$190, before taxes and CCA discount. $50 difference in this price bracket is HUGE!

M3Driver guest

Make sure that any discount you may get by doing the mail order or on-line won't be negated by the time you pay shipping. That can happen.

BMWtoyz guest

You can enter the part number in the search function at Pelican Parts (a Roundel advertiser) and they will get you the price.

1996 328ti guest

You can't go by realoem.
    People often compare OE parts to OEM or other brands.
    That is not a fair assessment.
    I buy OE whenever I can. My only exception are brake pads.

I did, Pelican was more money than getbmwparts.com which is Tischer BMW.

Also dealer discounts vary.
    I took a survey several years ago and found prices shocking, even with discounts.

BMWtoyz guest

I did not say anything about the price being the best, was just saying if you have a part number and cannot find the item in the Pelican Parts catalog, you can enter the BMW part number in the search block and it will come up with a part and price, is that the best price in town, I do not know, shop around. I have found some dealers have great prices, some not!

mac townsend guest

I've found that most everything I have needed can be had from the NAPA store. Admittedly, I'm not looking for trim for an X3. But the weird double-sized ID valve cover vent hose for my M20 was less locally than on-line (and no UPS tax).