Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire Rack Street Survival Program

Discussion in 'Car Control Clinics' started by mattm, Feb 22, 2009.

mattm

From the SCCA site. I am posting here because the "News" forum is locked out (nice).

http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=6&news=3580

Sessions regarding the Tire Rack Streets Survival® program are always popular at the SCCA Convention and this year was no different. One of the final sessions of the event, presented by Tire Rack® Vice President of Marketing Matt Edmonds, BMW CCA National Program Manager for Street Survival Bill Wade and SCCA Vice President of Rally/Solo Programs Howard Duncan, covered the basics of what the program is, how it works and why it's important for SCCA.

CRKrieger

Are we losing SS?

Actually, you are posting here because you are not among the anointed few who are authorized to post "News".
    As I see SS grow, I also see the 'CCA Foundation appearing to lose ownership (logo now says "Authorized by"?) - or are they?

Since this isn't a locked forum and we can discuss it, what's your take? I know some Foundation officers are probably reading this ... or will be. What is happening to the Foundation involvement? Will it continue to receive any credit for starting this worthy endeavor or will it eventually simply be regarded as a (minor) funding source? Are those of us who were and are working in the program on our way out (as in, SCCA engineers a putsch and then all SS instructors have to be SCCA members)? Finally, is this good, bad, or irrelevant to the ultimate goal?

mattm

It might be that since Tirerack is funding the program, they may want it to move away from a marque specific identity and tie in with SCCA.

All speculation on my part. Do not use while operating heavy equipment. One dose every 12 hours. Do not swim one half hour after eating.

CRKrieger

Well, that's why I asked. Are they now the sole source of funding? I mean, before they ever came in, the Foundation was putting on SS events. I could always ask Wynne, but I thought we as a community might benefit by knowing what's going on.

Clearly, the pitch to SCCA isn't to seek out enhanced organizational skills because, God knows the SCCA is a political red giant star that is lucky not to have imploded into a black hole yet. SCCA isn't all that much more influential than BMW CCA since it is actually about the same size, although their focus is more on competition events. So it must be for money. Their top series are even separate corporate entities.

wynne_smith guest

Did someone mention my name?

Let me assure you, the BMW CCA Foundation has ownership of Street Survival, and some of us never did like that "authorized by" - it always seemed awkward to me. We are looking at ways to possibly revamp the Street Survival logo and realign how Tire Rack, the BMW CCA Foundation - and the SCCA Foundation as well as other groups that are coming into the fold -- are represented for print and the purposes of creating merchandise.

So, here's the scoop --Tire Rack has been the title sponsor of the program for the past four years. Matt Edmonds and Mr. Veldman, and the team at Tire Rack have given generously not only financially, but also in terms of promotional support - working with teams from the BMW CCA Hoosier Chapter and the local SCCA Region to host several schools at the Tire Rack's HQ each year. Using Tire Rack's P.R. firm to help get the word out before schools, and with follow-up stories in an enormous range of media outlets afterwards. Without the Tire Rack we never would have gotten the program off the ground or grown it so quickly. It is apparent that Street Survival isn't a marketing ploy, Tire Rack's support and sponsorship of the program is genuinely heartfelt and inspiring when you speak with people there about it.

The program continues to grow exponentially and that means the Foundation must develop other sources for support, and other resources - i.e., instructors -- or we are in danger of succeeding ourselves out of business. Finding, training and then holding on to instructors is one of the greatest concerns. Volunteers give their hearts and souls to the program, but how many times can we go to the well before we burn our core group out?

The SCCA has come on board big time in 2008, and I believe we will see more SCCA regions hosting schools in more venues in 2009 - and it's a good thing. I am not privy to the political ins and outs of the SCCA - but I'd be willing to bet in the long range scheme of things it's a lot like the political stuff at BMW CCA, and PCA, and the Volvo club. Heck, we have political nonsense going on with the animal rescue groups I work with here in Greenville that make BMW CCA Club Racers look like pushovers <G>. ANYWAY, the individuals conducting the schools follow the proscribed program meticulously, and we are finding that more often than not cross-over members - volunteers who belong both to BMW CCA and SCCA comprise the largest number of volunteers at any given school - so the program isn't compromised through misinterpretation or someone taking it upon themselves to "tweak" the program.

The Mercedes Club has committed to hosting at least two Street Survival schools in 2009, and we believe we have things ironed out for the first ever PCA school to be held in Portland where -ahem - there' s no BMW CCA chapter.

Collaboration is the key here. The folks who are conducting the schools have set aside their brand loyalties and become part of the Street Survival team - yes, they remain SCCA members and BMW CCA members, but when they get into that classroom or into the student's car - they're all about Street Survival.

In July, 2008 the BMW CCA Foundation and the SCCA Foundation were nominated for the Lodestar Foundation's Collaboration Prize… a national cash award of $250,000 presented to an outstanding model of collaboration. Sadly, we weren't selected as one of the eight finalists - but, hey! People are recognizing the importance of what we are all trying to accomplish in spite of our organizational loyalties.

As the Director of Development for the BMW CCA Foundation, one of my focuses is writing grants and developing fundraising strategies. I have joked at Board meetings that not unlike Lloyd Bridges picking the wrong week to give up sniffing glue … I chose the wrong time to go into fundraising - and I have also blamed Matt Edmonds for making me think it was going to be easy because Matt attended one meeting - a summit for Car Clubs I held in Greenville and when he listened to Leo Newland's presentation about Street Survival - he basically opened his checkbook and asked "What do you need?" Silly me, I thought EVERYONE would have that reaction!

The truth is, the program will ultimately flourish because of donors like you and other members of the BMW CCA, the SCCA, the MBCA who make a point of once or twice a year writing a $25 or $50 or $100 check, or going online to make a donation with a credit card. Once the greater share of the program funding is obtained from individual donors, there won't be speculation about whether Tire Rack or the PCA or Exxon/Mobil or Oprah is taking over the program - because it will be, as it is now, owned by those of you who believe in it, and who support it by giving of your time, of your driving expertise, or the occasional check.

C.R., thank you for putting this out there, and I am happy to answer any other questions anyone has. I'd also like to thank C.R. and the Badger Bimmers for committing to hosting another Street Survival school in 2009.

mattm

Dear Ms. Smith,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. As I can attest, I am a SCCA member, PCA member, and BMWCCA member. The Street Survival Program coordinated through the NYBMWCCA, has many folks who carry the membership cards of those three clubs (and more!). They just change to a different club shirt when they autocross with each club.

Tirerack has supported the SCCA for decades. They back up their commitment to us with a commitment to serving their customers. When I was a parts manager many years ago, ordering from Tirerack made my life easier. Each year at the Solo National Award Banquet there is a hearty round of applause when Matt Edmunds and any of the Tirerack employees stand up for recognition by the audience. And yes, I still get my own tires from them today (order from "Woody"!).

BMWCCA, SCCA, and PCA are seeing the "graying" of their membership, so to promote safe motorsports through the Street Survival benefits all involved. Those young people attending the program are the future to keeping all auto clubs healthy and active.

And that's why I did the cross posting.

When I grow up and get big, I'll be able to post in the News section. :D

PS: And just to rib you a little bit, you've been a member of this forum since '07,and this is your first post (in '09)?! :) Glad to have you come on board.

wynne_smith guest

Thanks Matt

Actually, it's Mrs. Smith, but feel free to address me as Wynne.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, and thank you in particular for cross-posting. Why not join our cause on Facebook? Support Street Survival Teen Driver Safety

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/202677

Have all your SCCA, PCA and BMW CCA friends join, too.

We created the Cause on January 26 and over 366 people have joined so far. We're also running a contest to see who recruits the most supporters and who raises the most money. There are some great prizes for the people who win, and if we meet our financial goal it will pay for a Street Survival school this summer.

best regards,

Wynne

mattm

"Ms." is more PC, and I cover a range of Miss, Mrs., etc. :)

Facebook is a bit high tech for me. I know a lot of people spend a LOT of time on there. And that's the rub, I just cannot devote time to say "I'm going to make coffee, now," "or I'm using Satch's last article to line the bottom of a bird cage." Okay, I don't own a bird. Settle down folks. :D

I know I'll get the call/email from one of the NYBMWCCA folks to come instruct (or Boston-BMWCCA, since I am a member of both), and contribute that way. At least NY and Nassau Coliseum is close to home (sorry Bos-BMW).

So I could join FB, but, like Groucho said, "any club that would have me as a member, I don't really want to join."

wynne_smith guest

I need new glasses

Actually, my apologies, I read the title as Mr. Smith -- a common error, and hence posted the correction of Mrs. But either way, just call me Wynne, Please.

I understand the time constraint issue, and at this point who needs to try to remember yet another password? But, do, please share the info with friends.

Thank you for volunteering with the chapters and SCCA to support Street Survival.

W