Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Just got a 1983 Euro 635 and can't read German

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by TeamStowell, Mar 20, 2008.

TeamStowell We love driving!

Oh for the love of all that is good, our new-to-us 635 is giving us a giant flashing orange triangle between the turn signal symbols and I can't translate the german to find out what it wants. Can anyone tell me what this is? Should I be worried?

white318 guest

Do you get this when you start the car? When you start the car there are several diagnostic checks it does, i.e. check fluid levels, check bulb functions. On mine, if I start the car with my foot off the break I get this light and the break light (red bulb) on the diagnostic panel to the left of the steering wheel is on. As soon as I touch the break pedal the yellow dash and red diag panel lights go out. Do you have an owner's manual, or is this what is in German? If not, I could scan the pages of the owner's manual dealing with this light and e-mail it to you. Let me know.

Thanks for the help Mike.

We get the warning when we start the car and it does not go away after using the brakes. The brake warning in the diag panel is also on. It was just inspected, so the brakes and brake pads are probably not an issue.

I do have the original Euro manual in German and a copy of the US 635 manual, but that does not help out in this situation, so if you could send a copy to StowellBMW@aol.com it would be appreciated.

white318 guest

Scott,

The Break light on the Diag panel does not check the breaks, just the break lights. I assume both the break lights work when you touch the break pedal. If not, that is your problem. If so, I have e-mailed you a PDF of the Active Check Control wiring diagram for the 83 635CSi from the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (it was too large to put on this forum). I hope it helps.

Thanks for the PDF troubleshooting manual Mike. It has been a big help. I am now working on the trip computer and the power windows. The warning light is gone, but I have a brake issue that needs a bit of attention. I love having a project car! I always have something that needs attention!

BMWCCA1

As you may have already found out, the lit triangle is telling you to refer to the check control panel for information on what system does not check out as in working order. The brake light check is done every time the car is started. Normally this is done with the foot on the brake so it's somewhat automatic. Pushing the check button on the check control panel will extinguish the triangle warning but retain the lit fault light on the check panel.

221598 guest

Scott,

Eric Lamby here. Fellow Patroon Chapter member and 1985 635CSi Euro owner. If you like, I can supply you with a CD version of the repair manual. I have it but rarely use it since I've torn apart just about every inch of my car. If you do want it let me know, email address m6lamby@yahoo.com and I can give it to my father or Frank Greppo (he lives across the street from my dad), and they can get it to you at the next meeting (unfortunately, I am not able to attend as many meetings as I would like but I'm glad I'm a member). I did happen to see you driving your e24 one day and its beautiful. Lucky you. Happy motoring.

Eric Lamby
    1985 635 CSi Euro
    1987 325is

This is why we love this club!!!! Good to hear from you Eric - I tried contacting you previously but had a bad email address and your boss keeps you waaaay to busy at the shop when we have dropped off Bev's M3. I'll be in touch.

white318 guest

I too have an 83 635 CSi Euro. Do you have another copy of that CD? I would like to buy a copy.

221598 guest

Copyright Infringement

Please allow me to update my previous post as per the request of the editor-in-chief. I will allow the CD repair manual to be borrowed. However, I will not make illegal copies of said CD and I do not condone such illegal activity, so please do not ask me to do so. Thank you.

Eric Lamby
    1985 635 CSi Euro
    1987 325is

NEWAYGO guest

1985 M635CSI Service Manual

I would like to buy a CD repair manual for my 1985 M635CSI. Could you tell me where I can purchase one? I don't condone the illegal copies either.

Thanks for your help!

Mike Reyes

CRKrieger

For almost all intents and purposes, the Bentley E28 manual will work for you and it won't be stratospherically priced. The later E24 shares the E28 chassis and drivetrain.