Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New articles in Roundel on 80s BMWs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by granthr, Feb 13, 2009.

Brian A

On the old BMW CCA website (pre- Feb 2008), there was an index of all articles in virtually all Roundels up to that point. Is that old index still available somewhere?

... I'm interested in the 1985 / 1986 Roundel which covers the 1985 Frankfurt show that Roemer mentions in the June 1987 Roundel. Ya got that one?

... do you cook steak on the exhaust manifold too?

CSBM5

mrl325i

I'd like those Roundels, too, as well as the Sept 1989 issue. And, no, I have not cooked any steaks on the engine, but I do think you could fit some potatoes for baking on the manifold.
    • Staff

steven s

November 1985. Last copy. Call 864-250-0022 to order a copy. $4.00

CSBM5

Speaking of 80's Roundel...right about the time period in question here, does anyone remember the infamous WEDS wheel ads on the inside back cover? :) That one with the brunette and the black 6-series probably sold some 633CSis for BMW, and then they came out with the french maid ad that some in the club freaked out over, and that was the end of the nice WEDS wheel ads in the Roundel. Think this was in the fall of 1984. Looking back at them now reveals a pretty tame ad, but the old guard at the Roundel yielded to pressure of a very vocal but very small minority I suppose.

CRKrieger

I'm thinking that may have been in 1985, since I joined in September of '84 and I recall that little teacup tempest coming a little bit later. I DO have several of those ads, though. It's a really good thing that those complainers weren't around for the Oktoberfest Yokohama Tire poster giveaways ... :D

CSBM5

LOL, the first french maid ad was September 1984 with the second and last one in October 84. Are you sure it wasn't you joining this fine club and then immediately complaining? Suspicions are raised...

CRKrieger

I'll be damned. It was right away. I do remember thinking "What a bunch of Puritans." :rolleyes: Since I don't have immediate access to my ROUNDEL collection*, what's on that September cover? The nose of a race 2002 with the hood up was my first issue. I think a red E30 at O'Fest was the second.

You can be suspicious all you want. I still have those posters; and, now that I'm thinking about it, I believe Bridgestone contributed a couple of hot ones, too. ;)

* Starting a new thread, "ROUNDEL Archives?"

CSBM5

The September cover is a picture of a red E30 325e overlooking the Charles River in Boston. The October cover is a red E21 crossing the start/finish at Lime Rock.

I wonder if it's "ok" with the powers that be here if the culprit WEDS ad is scanned and posted??

granthr

Bridgestone!? I like the Pirelli Calendars! :D:D

Brian A

November 1985 Roundel - Frankfurt Auto Show

I am the lucky recipient of this last new copy. Here are the salient pages regarding the 1985 Frankfurt Auto Show where the E30 M3 and E30 Cabrio were rolled-out.

Brian A

November 1985 Roundel - Trip Diary

There were also 3 pages regarding the trip to Germany:

mrl325i

Thanks for posting this up.

Weren't you a "Fighting Quaker" from New Philadelphia? Puritans should be easy for you to take?

BTW - Going to the MOA National Rally this year?