Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New articles in Roundel on 80s BMWs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by granthr, Feb 13, 2009.

granthr

Satch!

Are there any upcoming articles in Roundel on great BMWs from the 80s? It would be great to see a feature article on really any of the series. What about something on the more obscure models like from Alpina, Hartge, or BMW South Africa.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Mobile Tradition articles by Jeremy Walton! That was great that BMW gave him access to so many old BMWs. How many days did he spend there?

Also, what upgrades did you do to your two E30 325ix cars? I would love to know. Thinking of buying an E30 ix this year.

BIMMIR guest

I don't know if you got the new edition of Roundel yet, but there's a cool M3 comparison story with owners rides from each generation.

Your black e 30 looks very nice!

az3579

I wonder how people reacted to the 325e when it first came out... (not like anyone cares today lol)

Hell, I wonder what it looked like new... *goes to an imaginary place where there are no cracked E30 dashes, all electronics work perfectly [such as that darned fuel gauge!], the engine purrs instead of grumbles when cold, and still smelled somewhat new*

Brian A

A few years ago, I bought some old Roundels through the Roundel Classifieds for Bob Roemer's original reviews of the 1987 325i convertible. They were quite interesting. Its too bad they're not readily available in electronic form. It might even be cool to see the occasional original review reprinted in Roundel!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Questions and comments

Howdy, amigos (and amigoettes)! Unfortunately, I don't haunt these halls as assiduously as some of y'all, so I miss a lot, but Jonathan Spira mentioned this thread, so here I am.

Yes, I enjoyed Jeremy's pieces on some of the Mobile Tradition cars, too. I think he's working on another Alpina story at this point. And of course we put Brian Aftanas' story on bein' dissed at Monterey in because when I read it I laughed so hard things came out of my nose.

For some time now I have been trying simply to put out a magazine I enjoy reading, so there is no specific formula: old cars, new cars, interesting cars, interesting characters, interesting adventures. And the broad array of nut-ball personalities who make it fun to read. . . I hope!

:D

granthr

Satch thanks for all the great work you do for the Club and Roundel! It is a great magazine that I look forward to each and every month! I just hope you weren't drinking milk when you were reading Brian's story, that would of been a mess! :D

granthr

Thanks, I hadn't gotten the Roundel yet. Just got it and I am looking forward to the M3 comparo. I remember a number of years ago they did a story like this when the E46 M3 came out. Looking forward to it.

Brian: I am always looking to get old issues. I sometimes see ads in the back of Roundel, seems like they either want a lot of money for them, or someone else already got them. I do have the issue where Roundel reviews the "new" 1984 318i. I forget the month, but it is from 1983.

mrl325i

Could you scan that article and post it or email it?

Brian A

Its copyrighted, so I can't ('specially to the website of the copyright owners!). Hopefully BMW CCA gets their scanner system going and post them all. I would really love to browse old copies.

EDIT:
    FWIW, there are lots of people advertizing old Roundel's for sale in the Roundel classifieds. That's where I got my copies from (bought from Michael Izor it turns out). The old BMW CCA website had an index of all Roundels; unfortunately that doesn't exist anymore, so its harder to know what issues to buy. (Heck though, for $200 you can buy all issues pusblished since 1492!)

BIMMIR guest

Try this from the Noember 08 Roundel for a little 80's fix...

http://stage.bmwcca.org/forum/files/Evolutionarythree.pdf

mrl325i

Which issue was the convertible reviewed in?

Brian A

There are two at least:

Roundel June 1987
    Story: Bob Roemer, Photos: Klaus Schnitzer
    Title: 325i Convertible
    5 pages (pages 8 to 12) including Technical Specifications box
    Blurbs, callouts & subtitles:
    "BMW's gorgeous new cabriolet brings with it a touch of magic, a hint of romance and anguished cries from dealers who can't get enough of them"
    "Let's drop the top, baby, and cruise on the freeway of excitement"

Also, the June 1987 Roundel cover is photo of 2 people in the new 325ic.

Roemer's story is preceded by a 2 page spread by BMW Inc. advertizing the new M3. Ad copy is, "The BMW M3. Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically."

Roundel September 1989
    Story: Bob Roemer, Photos: Bob Roember & Niels Schubert
    Title: There is something special about a convertible
    3 pages (pages 22 to 24) including Tech Briefs box
    Blurbs, callouts & subtitles:
    "The BMW cabriolet makes even the most mundane shopping trip a fantasy excursion"
    "All cabriolets are built at Regensburg, BMWs newest assembly plant. But all assembly workers aren't this pretty"

It is also remarkable how many of the old faces are already writing columns: in 1989 Farnsworth is writing "The Navigator", Bill Howard is writing "Briefs" and "End Piece, Chamberlin is writing, Roemer is writing, Phil Marx is writing. In 1987 Yale Rankin is not yet Editor-in-Chief but is so in 1989. In 1987 one of Howard's "Briefs" is about how some Autoweek columnist named Satch Carlson is going to be the keynote dinner speaker at the National Chapter Congress in Dallas.

mrl325i

Brian A

Browsing my thumbdrive; found these scans again.

Given that Schlossman now patrols these posts for contraband material, I put these up and let him take them down if they're not allowed:

mrl325i

Brian, thanks for posting that!

mrl325i

That trunk pic looks familiar...

granthr

Awesome post Brian, ah back when cars and people were smaller!!! :D:D:D:D

Um Mark, I think there is a little more "action" in your photo!! :D:D

two30grain

*loving all this e30 material*

Thanks gents!
    • Staff

steven s

We do have some back issues available at $4.00 each.
    If you have a month and year I will see if we have a copy.

mrl325i

It's got the Westphalia option.