Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Why am I not suprised at the lack of

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by Shively, Feb 12, 2009.

Shively guest

Real conversation on the 635 series... Seems like there is not many out there any more and most of these posts are requests for advice / help etc.

I am in the process of restoring a 85 - 635 csi and was looking forward to some good conversation regarding them and yea maybe ask a few questions like where to find or what custom parts work best.. alas it seems quite quiet around here...

MGarrison

John in VA

The club has a large member base with various interests. You might find more E24-specific info in the E24 area of Roadfly, bimmerforums, bigcoupe.com or bigcoupegroup.com.
    The 2002 and E28 are my passion, so I find my "fix" on similar model-specific forums.

CRKrieger

That, and the mechanics of the E24 so closely resemble the E12 or E28 that you could do lots worse than to hang with the 'unwashed masses' whose online forums are more active than this one. Many E24 owners are to be found in MyE28.com. There is almost nothing you can do to a coupe that we E28ers cannot tell you how to do properly.

TeamStowell We love driving!

I am also restoring a six series... and unfortunately I am usually either talking about getting something repaired or discussing the upcoming trip to Vintage in the Vineyard and Sharkfest.

What are your plans?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

So ask your questions. You are bound to get an answer of some sort.

CRKrieger

I dunno, Paul. I gathered from the tone of two of his posts about this subject that he'd prefer not to discuss anything with those of us who own mere sedans. We seem to be beneath his dignity.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Hell, Krieger: Whose dignity AREN'T we beneath?!

CRKrieger

Ahhh, I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm sure there's someone ...

BigCpe

2 door, 4door, or convert they are all fun, I think I have been spending to much time on Bimmer forums. :D:D:D

TeamStowell We love driving!

Hey BigCpe,

Are you close enough to get to SESharkfest coming up in a couple of months? That is a great looking car you have there!

BigCpe

Hi Scott,

No I,m at the other end of the country :( Spokane Washington on the Idaho border, kind of the middle of nowhere lol, about 900 miles from SW sharkfest long way from SE although I wouldn't mind the drive. Thanks, I just keep working on her, 130,000 now I got her 4 years ago with 100,000 summer driver, poor thing sits in storage December to March.

John Cooper
    Spokane Washington.

JES635

Shively:

Go to BCG Big Coupe Group by Norm Grills (its listed in SIG Groups listing in the Roundel). This list is mostly for repairs to E24s and is a great asset! Also Team Stowell located in North Atlantic Region Events Board is restoring an '85 635 Euro but I think its for Track purposes.

John

'88 635 w/225K

RocketJohn

Nice looking 6 you have John... bigcoupe forum has good info and tech talk as well as mye28.com...

BigCpe

Been hanging on Big Cpe and Bimmer forums for a couple years now they are really good groups. I thought I would stick my nose in here because of the club, I really didn't expect to see much mail here with one of the 1st generation 6's, I'm sure most on here are late model's but you never know what you will find, me, I think the last really good BMW was made in April of 1989 the rest are just playing catchup... :D :D :D

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Speaking of coupes. . . or what were we talking about? Oh, yeah: Sway bars!

I have a question for the people who know stuff.

Say you have an E28 four-door about to be thrashed in the 24 Hours of Lemons. Say you suspect that some other sway bars will fit without much effort: WHAT WOULD THOSE SWAY BARS BE? That is, what could you steal from a junker that would bolt onto the E28 and increase the diameter of its anti-roll resistance?

E24?

E-whatever-the-early7-Series-is?

Anybody? Ferris?

:eek:

CRKrieger

E24, yes (assuming you find some larger than the E28 bars you already have). Pop over to MyE28.com and ask the guys who know best. I am not certain if all the E24 bars are the same or if only the E28-based chassis are. It's possible that the E12-based early cars are different.

E23 (early 7 Series), I doubt it.

Obviously, the best thing you could yank would be a set of sport springs. If you find some oddly colored ones in a yard, the bright orange BavAuto ones would probably be best for racing. They're stiff as hell. IIRC, Eibachs are dark green.

JES635

Six Series Tech advice

Try The Big Coupe Group. www.normgrills.net/bcg/ or send Norm an e-mail at norm@normgrills.net. They have some great Tech folks on the site and there is a Tech archive as well.

J.Sullivan
    '88 635 CSi w/233K

bcweir

mmorgan1986 guest

I am restoring a 1986 635CSi and I'm just about down to the interior being left. That's after tie rods, control rods, driveshaft and other expensive goodies. I know I've spent more than the car is worth but everytime I drive it that first time feeling comes back again. I LOVE this car and the way it handles. You ride in everything else but you drive this car. The forums are the best source for information as written material is almost non existent. I have gotten great information and access to resources I wouldn't have had otherwise.