Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Who do you wave at?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by stevehecht, Feb 7, 2009.

stevehecht

I have a habit of acknowledging only other E30s on the road, but I had a 525 driver wave at me the other day. What's SOP for BMWCCA members on this forum?

John in VA

I'll wave to or at least acknowledge any BMW driver (or classic /special interest car owner) who does the same or is at least aware of his surroundings! So many operators these days seem to be brain-dead or are more intent on talking than driving...

TeamStowell We love driving!

Everyone with a roudel gets a wave from TeamStowell. It is a good form of exercise in some neighborhoods. I have to admit.... there was a dark time when SAV's may have been ignored, but that is in our past and we will not speak of it again. :p

Elkoholic

So far it's only been E30 cabrios for me...but then again I might be biased :cool:

stevehecht

Wow, a cabrio snob. Well!--I've never!;)

az3579

It's his first car so take what says with a grain of salt. Trust me, once he gets his hands on an E30 coupe, he'll never go back. He'll be practically living at the nearest track... :D

I don't bother wave at anyone anymore. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY 'round here is an enthusiast, and if there is one around here, I've definitely haven't seen it.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Interesting responses....selective wavers, model specific only wavers, wavers who now include models they ignored in the past, and those that refuse to acknowledge anyone at all.
    Gotta love the variety!!!

For me, I'll give a wave, or a headlight flash if it is "safe" to do so, if I see a fellow owner. I don't care if the BMW has 2 wheels, three wheels, or four, if it has a Roundel on it, I acknowledge it. If I see them in parking lots and no one is around, I stick a current copy of our newsletter with a membership application and my CCA business card stapled to it. Actually had some people call, ask for more info and join the club. Might be a bit off topic here.....so I'll digress.....If you pass me, get passed by me or drive the opposite direction past me, I'll acknowledge your presence.:D:D

Odiekokee

I treat this like I do when i'm on the motorcycle: If it's got 2 wheels, and they're not being stupid, I wave. I don't care if it's a Harley Davidson or a Hayabusa, or anywhere between.

That being said, If it's got 4 wheels, and they're not being stupid, I wave. If they wave back, that's fine, if not, that's fine too. I may wave a little bigger for a roundel, and more for an e30, but all in all....well, I'm from the South, that's just what we do.

94is guest

I don't really wave at anyone, unless its someone from the forums whose car I recognize (happens quite often). Here in Southern California, everybody and their mother drives BMW's, so the chances of me seeing someone who knows what they're driving is pretty slim. :(

Rickbee guest

I tend to wave at Only E30 drivers because in the DC metro area u see alot of bmws but most people just buy them cause they can but the E30s are 8-10 been with someones family for a while.

Onoratos guest

Well, in Colorado...

I generally wave, flash, double honk at any older BMW that looks like it has been well cared for. You know pretty quick if the other driver is an enthusiast or not b/c they are checking your car out, noticed you from far away, catch up on the highway, etc.

I've noticed that most E30 2Dr, converts, and m3 drivers (M3s ALWAYS) generally wave. Maybe because I drive an E30? M car drivers always seem to be very friendly.

The newer cars always have some older folk, rich stuffy person, or sorority girl driving them (Anyone ever been to the CU Boulder campus?! - HA!) and never wave. But that's ok because they are the only people that can afford them. They just need to take good care of their cars so I can buy them in a few years. :eek:)

Sorry for the over generalizations and stereotypes. All in good fun!

cj morgan guest

I've only waved to one other person in a BMW and it was a kid who looked about my age driving a nice, black E30. He gave me a thumbs up and it was cool looking at his sweet ride. (you dont see too many e30s where i live) I don't pay much attention to people in newer bmw's. Most of them dont even know what they are really driving. They have just have money and a big head. No offense because i am sure there are exceptions...I always think my e30 is better than any newer bmw out there anyway so maybe i have the ego haha.

Elkoholic

Yeah, Shaun brings up a good point...I only tend to notice the well-maintained vintage Bimmers, because I'll definitely acknowledge a fellow enthusiast when I recognize one.

There's still a good number of people in my parts who drive E30s like beaters...still running, but crying for attention...poor things...:(

desertVert guest

I'll generally acknowledge anyone in an E30, if it's in good condition and if they aren't driving like an idiot. There are many E30s on the road around here that are complete wrecks, but because generally there's no rust here they keep right on plugging away.

E28s usually get a wave or a thumbs-up from me too, but that's just because I'm a sucker for a well-maintained old fiver.

The folks who drive the newer ones, unless I know them as enthusiasts, I don't expect them to know what they drive, so I don't wave. They're all over the place here, too.

joe30

+1 for the DC area.

I wave to E30's & E38's mostly no matter which I am in at the time. Any other older well kept BMW's I see get a nod or wave as well.

Another observation: When on my (non-BMW) motorcycle I wave to all others and BMW riders wave the most. I guess I have a heavy waving habit based on my Bimmer, Moto, and Jeep mods of transportation. In Texas everyone from all 3 facets acknoledged each others fellow enthusiast. In DC not so much.

granthr

Do you wave at all Jeep owners or just the CJ, Wrangler, YJ, ( I don't know the new ones) crowd? What about the Compass? :D

I flash my headlights and wave at all E30s all though mostly they are beaters and the owner just stares at me blankly. I also do the same to all older BMWs as well. From the e46 and newer there are just to many in my area with people who bought them for status and nothing else. On occasion that I do wave, I am usually returned with a stare. So I usually don't bother. :(

CSBM5

Interesting thread. When I've flashed at 2002s, they usually respond with a flash, but I've had a few just look at me like I'm crazy.:confused: (This is usually when I'm in the M5). I see one tii regularly though that flashes back. I ran across an E30 M3 a while back and flashed/waved. He (young kid) looked at me like I was insane. Most E24 drivers acknowledge a greeting (there are a few I see regularly around here, split maybe 70/30 M6 versus 635/633), but then again the one I'm thinking of I know.

I remember the old days so well up in CT in the early 70's when basically everyone with a BMW acknowledged each other with a flash which was sometimes followed by a quick turn-around and parking lot meeting (if not a flat out run down the Merrit Parkway for 3 or 4 exits at night). I guess BMWNA took care of that "problem" for us. (i.e. when driving the E90 I just do like the Romans do).

I get profiled so heavily by the some via the M5. When they see a 50 year old dude in an E39 M5 they automatically assume I'm a poseur or whatever (as opposed to a 30 year CCA member with almost 35 years of autox and close to 30 years of track experience). Oh well...

Onoratos guest

That's funny you mention Jeeps Granthr. Jeep owners do wave and I would say ever more than BMW owners. I have a TJ Rubicon. To answer you question, it seems to be the rule that TJ drivers wave at CJ's, YJ's, and other TJs. (FYI that is speak for Jeep CJ-Wrangler generations like e30-36-46-so on). Most JK drivers give you the "deer in the headlights" look, and you'd generally never wave at any other model Jeep unless on the trail. I've never seen a Compass on the trail. LOL. I have a classic Mustang too and mustang drivers almost ALWAYS wave no matter what year or model. I've found the Mustang and Jeep crowd to be, in general, more friendly than the BMW crowd. Why is that?

granthr

I have friends who use to have CJ-7s and CJ-8s (Scrambler) and they always waved at other traditional Jeep owners. But as you mentions, generally not the Cherokees at the time.

I find M drivers to be more enthusiastic about waving/flashing then most, but not always. A week ago at night I was on the highway and traffic was pretty heavy but moving fast. There was a lowered E34 wagon going the same direction I was going. I couldn't see the driver, tinted windows, but we passed each other a number of times. At one point he flashed his rear fog at me, so I flashed back by cutting my headlights for a second. :D

Bark guest

Funny, I just shared a wave with another e30 driver this morning. I spotted him behind me and he gave a quick flash, so we traded waves. Not too common here in coastal CA, as others have mentioned that most BMW drivers here are oblivious.

It's a strange thing, I wonder why the mutual acknowledgement is so gratifying. Acceptance, I suppose.

The best was when my wife and I were for some reason driving both e30s, one behind the other, on the freeway. Some younger guys in a sharp e30 M3 caught up quickly and waved and traded a few quick compliments at 70mph. Good times.

The convertible generates a lot more interest/recognition from other drivers as it's more obviously enthusiast owned. The 318is, while well kept, is bone stock and much more subtle. In the 335, I might as well be invisible to owners of older Bimmers, although other owners of the new 3s occasionally give the what's up nod.