Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 31, 2009.

Autohaus guest

On the drive home the day I got let go was intense! I knew I could have called up and filed but I waited to get home and go online. Besides, I don't have bluetooth so I didn't want to get pulled over by a state trooper having the cell phone to my ear. From the day I got let go until I got my first unemployment check was only 18 days. Most of the jobs I applied to were on craigslist with no phone #'s listed. All of the other major job sites have mostly temp agencies. We all know how much I hate them :rolleyes:. I wonder if the BMWCCA would hire me :D. Heck, I would do anything. I'll park cars, take out the trash, shine shoes, wash employee cars, test drive cars, etc... :D

az3579

It looks like I'm going to be shoved on the same road as you soon, Chris. I've got a *possible* one-month extension, but other than that, my only other chance at staying is only for a few more months after that by working on a project. Pretty much, my stay here is coming to an end, and I am officially going to go nuts. It couldn't have happened at a worse time...

The only other car in the family is now defunct. Cracked cylinder head, and they still owe a grand in car payments and the car is now useless. So now only my car is in operation and the person driving it has to drop me off at work every day; and I don't trust her one bit with my car. Her driving is scary.

WHY NOW??????
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Need me to keep my eyes out for a beater?

az3579

You can try, but I wouldn't recommend her an E30 or any BMW for that matter. Too much $$ for maintenance.

Though I did kind of smile when she said "you're car drives great!"

mooseheadm5

Well, beaters here don't rust, so I'll look for a nice Volvo or something. If she has 4k, one of the guys at the shop has a Subie that he just had to do the head gaskets on, so it has new gaskets, water pump and timing belt and it is good to go.

Autohaus guest

Double whammy for you Botond. Get your resume updated and start applying NOW. Don't wait until you are told that you are gonna be let go. So the 2002 Sentra is dunn? Your mom shifts? Just like my mom used to when she had a 2000 beach cruiser (Jeep Wrangler). Contact the owner near me who has the 88 E28 535is for $1K. I am sure he will take $700. You saw the pics so give him a call for your mom to drive :).

az3579

Update:

She has decided to fix her car. She found someone who could do the job for $600, but that's assuming it's just a headgasket job and some other little tidbits, but I always assume the worst (cracked cylinder head and other problems). I get the feeling she won't have a car for a while, but I'm cracking down as well. I need my car for the rest of this week and next, so she's going to have to make a decision; rent a car and fix her existing one or buy a beater, and it looks like she's going to try to have it fixed.

Wrong choice in my book, seeing as the repairs are going to cost a very large portion of what the car's worth. But, this shop across the street is willing to do it for much less so we'll go from there.

I think the head is being sent out for inspection tomorrow.

Unfortunately the job situation hasn't changed. :(

drummerfc

What exactly do you do day to day (the short version ;))? I work on a contract basis...perhaps I can point you in the right direction...

mooseheadm5

Well, at least if the head is shot, a replacement should be available from a yard since it is the proper vintage for junkyards to be full of them. A running car is worth much more than you might think, especially if it is an 02.

az3579

This is my first real gig, and have been doing it since August '08. I'm working Desktop Support on a contract basis, usually lasting 3 months. I got renewed at the end of November (IIRC) and my contract is expiring again at the end of this month. They're trying to extend me for another month but that's not up to me unfortunately.

I've applied to get hired but that's useless because like every other company, they're on a hiring freeze and have just recently laid off two people that I know. Hiring? What does that mean?

It truly is the ideal workplace; it's opposite of traffic, but that doesn't matter because it's only 10 minutes away. It's double what I made before, and it's a 40-hour weekday only job, just what I want. It's such a shame that all good things must come to an end... :(

Autohaus guest

I have no idea :(. Same boat for me. I have tried tried tried and nothing :mad:. I wouldn't be surprised if I'll be collecting through next April 2010!

missmelyssa guest

it's happening everywhere

Sorry to hear about your situation Botond.

I feel for you and Chris. Companies are cutting costs everywhere. Even my boss says that my department is safe for another 6 months, but you just never know.

Autohaus guest

Maybe if I took HGH and steriods maybe I will find a job faster :)

drummerfc

You still outta work?? Wow :confused: sorry man. Even though you are a Yankees fan. ;)

Autohaus guest

Yes, no job. My wife has even gone to great lengths by faxing my resume to jobs while she is at work (don't worry, upper management knows our situation and don't mind). I have recieved letters and emails stating the usual:

"After careful review of your resume we have decided to give the position to another individual. Good luck in your job search and we will hold onto your resume for one year should a similar position open up".

TeamStowell We love driving!

All work and no play make Chris a boring boy all work and no...

The local BMW Dealership is looking for some finance people, but that would be a heck of a drive. Send a copy of your resume through to me and I will keep my ears open for something in your neck of the chapter.

:)

Autohaus guest

Thanks Scott. I'll send you my resume once I have someone look over it to try to add some bling to it :)

Autohaus guest

Well I had a job interview for a mortgage company in northern NJ this week and all I can say that it was a waste of my time. No salary at all :(. It's commission only. They required a three month training program at 50 hours a week with NO COMPENSATION. After I was told this, the manager at the branch saw my expression and got ****ed at me because I didn't want to take a chance at this opportunity. I cannot afford to travel 1.5 hours each way for 3 months with no pay :rolleyes:.

On a better note, I applied for a position over at Skynet (Botond's current employer). Wish me luck :D

mooseheadm5

Holy crap, B works for Skynet? What year do the machines take over?

Autohaus guest

As soon as the system becomes self aware. B is in charge of this and I predict that will happen as soon as his S50 is installed :)