Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 31, 2009.

az3579

Or you could volunteer for free at Kamal's and learn it the good ol' fashioned way. :p
    That's how I learned what I know; I asked and I observed. Some things I know how to replace, but I just don't have the guts to actually do it in fear of screwing things up like I usually do. You would at least have Kamal to back you up... kind like how how you didn't relpace your final stage resistor. :D

Autohaus guest

That was a tough job!

TeamStowell We love driving!

I agree... I pulled everything apart as best I could, had the part in my hand, and called the shop to have them finish up!

Autohaus guest

For some reason the part wouldn't come out. I tried it for 1 hour until my mechanic took only about 30 seconds :eek:. Still no job yet but I have applied to about 200 since I was let go.

granthr

Okay Chris are you trying to hid from us with your new screen name? :D Now you will probably go and change your picture to really mess with us! :D:D It's like who is this new guy with all these posts!

Autohaus guest

I'm just trying to change things up :). I hope for a new name would equal new job!

az3579

He's got a long way to go to beat me.
    I'm our resident post-wh...err, prostitute.
    Okay, that doesn't sound right...

Anyway, if that job is so tough, that's why it took him all of 30 seconds to pull it out, Chris. Just admit that you couldn't do it because you were incompetent!

Autohaus guest

:(. So true. My wife knows how to fix things around the house more than I do.

Autohaus guest

Another day another carrot. Another day at home sending the kids to school, doing laundry, cleaning, cooking supper, watching Peyton and sitting here on the computer applying to more jobs. I am now officially a house husband :(.

MGarrison

All you need now is an apron with a BMW Roundel on it! :p

In all seriousness tho, best wishes for finding a job quickly in your continuing job search.

Autohaus guest

Can I haz BMW apron? Starting next month I will get an additional $25 each week towards my unemployment benefits. Plus, I think they will extend it all the way through December 31st. I hope I find something WAY before then :rolleyes:

MGarrison

Autohaus guest

I would rock that around the haus!

mattm

Embrace being with your kids. They'll never be this age, again. You'll find it very rewarding. I bet there's a few folks who would be jealous of that option.

Best!

Autohaus guest

So very true. He just turned two last week and it seems like only yesterday he was hatched :D. I spoke to a co-worker this morning and she told me that they are backed up doing my position. Part of my job was resolving short pay reports and they are so far behind :rolleyes:. Not my problem anymore. Change of gears, I laughed when I saw this job offer in NJ; college education required to do A/R, A/P, payroll and other accounting procedures for $8/hr :confused:. My wife's oldest son (17) worked at Panera Bread making $8.25 and he is still in HS!!!!!!!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Ooooh, mannnnn. . .

No fun-no fun at all, Chris. I am so glad you are sharing these travails with us, but I feel so bad. Every morning brings more news of layoffs, and even the optimistic hopes of the New In Crowd don't do much to cheer me: 3,500,000 new jobs? Doing what, installing solar panels? We need to preserve jobs, and stop rewarding these bastards for "downsizing." (Such a nice clean word. Such a filthy business.)

I applaud your spirit, amigo, and I add my amen to those who remind you that these times WILL pass, that you-that we-WILL get through this nightmare.

My job is to be funny around here, but sometimes that just doesn't seem appropriate, or even possible. And since not a day goes by without my pondering the fact that I could be on the street in an instant, I can say I feel at least some of your pain. We put so much of our self-worth into what we do with our days; our jobs-our "careers"-become our real definitions of ourselves. So losing a job-even a job I hate!-diminishes my sense of value: What good am I to my society? To my community, my family, my friends? What good am I to myself?

You can understand how easily this kind of brooding leads to clinical depression.

I will say that I am pleased that now that I am in SOSOCal instead of Alaska, at least I'll probably survive when I'm on the streets. At least I hope so.

az3579

I can't begin to tell you how word-for-word that is with my thoughts, Satch.

Even some of us with jobs feel almost the same way as you do Chris. Just today I started getting a bit antsy; my contract is up next month and now the worry about whether they will renew is starting to dance in my belly. Boy, what an uneasy feeling.

But, good news is, I stopped by the cafeteria today around 2 and saw on the TV there (I think it was CNN) that this recession might be over by the end of the year. I'm guessing it's just speculation, and I just barely heard anything on the TV as I was on the other side of the room, but it sure did sound nice. Let's just hope it will be so.

Autohaus guest

My gut feeling is that this will all get turned around by the 3rd quarter of 2010. Botond, I hope you get your contract renewed so you can turn you 325es into a 327is :). Satch, having high spirits is the only way to go about this. I remember watching the news not too long ago (maybe around the time I was let go) that a husband/father killed his family after getting the pink slip in California and a similar story happened in Ohio (I think). What is going on now is similar to what happened in the late 20's/early 30's. When I was told that I was axed, I had a plan:

1) Start applying to jobs ASAP. I ALWAYS have had my resume updated.
    2) File for unemployment.
    3) Calculating how much I would get and if my family and I can still manage to pay all our bills, rent and save some $$$.
    4) Apply, apply, apply

Guess what? Turns out that if you factor in gas/tolls, I only bring home $200 less every two weeks by being on unemployment. Thankfully my wife just got a promotion a few months ago and she gets plenty of OT. Solution? We just have to budget here and there. I'm not going to lie, though. I do get frustrated that I have applied to so many jobs and not one phone call or email in the past 2.5 weeks but all I can do is keep applying and hopefully I will catch lightning in a bottle. You guys will be the first to know when my next interview will be. I have applied to three other BMW dealerships to offer my services. Maybe this time they won't be texting during the interview :rolleyes:

mattm

Realistic PoV.
    A change up on that:
    • Update the resumé on the first day of a new job. Especially in an "at will" employment state (for me Connecticut).
    • And file for the unemployment on the drive home. You do not start getting any monies until you file. For you noob filers, being able to file via phone and/or computer is awesome. The first time I filed was in the seventies. Lots of lines. Waiting. You kids have it easy. We had to stand in snow and ice water. :D
    One of the most frustrating things that does not get done. I hate when the person you interviewed with, or heaven forbid, and actual HR department send an *actual* note saying the job went to someone else. It is just flipping rude to not do that. And HR wonders why they are disliked (see "Dilbert's" Ratbert"). Lazy SoBs. [IMG]Or even pick up a phone or send an email saying no job for you, buddy.

BMW Darien had a round of layoffs a few weeks ago. They did get rid of some deadwood, but those still there are concerned if there is another round ahead. So please buy more BMWs.

az3579

About people not calling back:

I heard a trick was to call consistently and actually appear interested enough where calling multiple times frequently would get your name into their heads. It would seem logical for it to work, so what I suggest is you call back some of the places you haven't heard from.