Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 31, 2009.

Autohaus guest

Just got a phone call from a medical office nearby. I have a job interview on Monday 10am. The position is for a medical biller. I expect them to lowball me big time. However, I need to go to as many interviews as possible. Check out how this convo went:

John (caller): I see that you don't have any medical billing experience.
    Me: That may be true. However, I do have a 4 yr degree and over 9 years of working experience in the business world. I have worked for a marketing firm and a automotive repair shop doing billing, A/R, A/P, payroll, collections, everything to help run a business.
    John: OK, so you know how to do some softare applications?
    Me: Microsoft Office and all the other software applications on my resume. (I'm thinking, did this guy really read my resume)?
    John: Why don't you come on in Monday 10am?
    Me: I'll be there.

Yes, I was very cocky but this character didn't do his homework. Maybe I'll take his job :)

Autohaus guest

Ignore the post above. The guy called back saying that they found the right person. Thank God. However, I do have a job interview this Friday morning at 10 with Prestige BMW in Ramsey, NJ as a client advisor. I have no sales experience and they knew that, but they still called me within 2 hours after I emailed my resume to them. Sorry for posting every job opportunity here but being unemployed is not cool and getting good news is something I would want to share to my fellow BMW freaks :)

missmelyssa guest

Yeah, forgget about that RedZone thing. Sounds very similar to some sort of MLM. I tried something like that once and I ended up going door to door. I HATED IT!

But being a BMW client advisor would be awesome. Someone in there who actually knows and enjoys these cars....that's unheard of.

Autohaus guest

I have to come up with a game plan for this interview. I know the questions they will ask me:

Why should we hire you with no experience when we can hire someone with experience?

Why do you want to work for us?

How can you presuade potential MB, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, Acura, Hyundai Genesis customers who walk into our showroom that a BMW would be the car that they really want?

How can you be an asset to this dealership?

What do you think makes BMW stay competative throughout all these years?

You are not only selling our products, but the dealership. Please explain what this means.

az3579

And your answers are? :p

And what is this job you speak of in Bridgeport? There's A JOB HERE? Since WHEN??? :eek:
    Come on, you know you wanna come to Bridgeport!

That opportunity at Prestige BMW would be awesome. Hell, just for that, if you were to still work there in a few years, I would seriously consider buying a car from there just so I could talk with someone who knows their Bimmers.

Autohaus guest

I have the answers saved in the back of the huge melon on top of my neck. I still shouldn't get my hopes up. They want me to meet the contact at the CPO lot. I just hope that they won't throw me in a 2004 745Li and have me demonstrate I-Drive. Botond, you should buy the 1995 850csi they have for sale at Prestige. The car is black on black with Style 5's and has only 32K miles. Price? Heck, you can afford it. $69K.

lcjhnsn

Chris, I realize it's on the wrong end of the State, but I'm told that EB will be hiring folks in the Finance Department in the next couple weeks. Check www.gdeb.com

Another friend of mine says that Northeast utilities is also looking for accountants

lmj

Autohaus guest

Thanks for looking out Lance but that place is too far :(. Well, tomorrow is my job interview at Prestige BMW in NJ. Wish me luck ;)

az3579

Good luck Chris, I reeeeeeeeeeally hope you get the job because I know you'd love it!

Autohaus guest

I think my first question should be, "When can I start driving the M5 as my demo" :)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Still holding my breath...

Autohaus guest

Well, I'm back at my old desk/old job as I am typing this. I came to pick up my stuff and sign the severance papers. I guess the IT guys didn't cancel my user name/ID. Anyway, the job interview was ok. In the end, the guy gave me his card and told me to call him next week. He is going to interview alot of people next week. I guess its a good sign that he told me to call him. However, I'm not feeling the base salary at all. It isn't nearly 1/2 what I made at my last job. I though the base salary would be more considering its BMW but I guess I'll find out if this guy wants me on his team. If not, then I will just move on. Ok, I better leave my old job before they give me work to do!

az3579

Huh??? Are you serious? Are they offering like almost minimum wage or something??

mooseheadm5

Its salary plus commission. I probably wouldn't take any such job in this economy.

Autohaus guest

They told me the base salary would be only $300 per week. How can I feed my family on $300 a week :confused:. The commission would be 20% of profits. The sales manager was rude. He was busy texting while I was asking him questions. I was asking him questions that only enthusiasts would know (ie, the last E39's were built 7/03) so I wanted to know what would I do if a customer wanted a few grand off of the price because only 5 months of CPO would be left. He looked at me like I was a ghost after I asked that question. He threw me a curveball by asking me if I would rather work at a Chevy dealership making $80K or at a BMW dealer making $40K. I told him that I do not trust the Chevy brand and money isn't always everything. I would rather sell a product I know and trust so I would pick BMW. I could tell this sales manager and the other 5 salesmen at the CPO lot aren't BMW enthusiasts. Heck, I know more about bimmers than all 6 of them combined :D. He told me to call him next week so either he will say:

1) Thanks Chris but I would rather have someone with experience
    or
    2) I would like for you to come in again

I was so turned off for him being unprofessional texting during the interview and being so uninterested about my BMW knowledge and how I could use that for my advantage selling CPO cars. All he cares about is money, which is fine but if he wants to have his CPO lot exceed expectations he should have paid more attention to me. If he calls me wanting to come in again I feel that I should just blow him off because of how he treated me. I expected much better from a BMW sales manager. I expected a professional business man but he reminded me of a Kia/Saturn sales manager. Many of you might be thinking that the reason why he was texting is because he was bored of me or that he didn't like me. If that were the case, then why does he want me to call him? Does he tell that to everyone he interviews?

az3579

Dude, if someone works at a dealership, they're most likely in it for the money. You can't expect everyone at a dealership to be an enthusiast.

The fact that most BMW buyers nowadays aren't enthusiasts either is still there, so with an atmosphere that nobody cares around there probably wouldn't suit you so well. I would have thought they'd be more professional than that, but at least you walked away with something positive, and the main reason you attended: interview experience.

Autohaus guest

I should open my own BMW dealership: Autohaus BMW. I need a shop foreman/master mechanic-Moosehead, your hired. Botond, you are in charge of parts. Everyone else, come on in and apply :)

mattm

Did the Sales Manager mention the "pack?" Betcha he didn't. The "pack"is what goes to the dealership before you get your split. So let's say the profit on a car (new or used) is $1,000. The pack will typically take 25% off that amount. Do I here $750 left over? Then they may charge off other items (technology fees, who knows what). So then you get your 20% (I think seasoned sales people get more than that) or $150. And that's if you get the $1k.

I do know several people, in sales, at a few Connecticut Dealerships. Trust me, there are very few sales right now. I think I heard last year they sold 70 cars in a month, now they are down to 30 and have had to lay people off in all departments. You will be churned and then tossed out.

Some times things are meant to be (not getting hired by the auto dealer). You should reconsider Electric Boat. Yes it is a long drive, but real income (maybe some medical benefits) are a good thing.

I used to be a parts manager (Toyota/Mazda/Honda/and a few other makes) about 13 years ago. I do not think I could ever go back into it. Not a fun gig.

So Matt (me), tell us about your job in Real Estate these days..... (hijack for another day)
    :D

mooseheadm5

The last I heard from a salesman at a BMW dealer (a friend of my old boss') was that the "profit" on a car was like $350-$650. You also need to get people into financing if you want to make money. My old boss' brother worked at a Saturn dealer and they chewed him up and spit him out too. I'd steer clear of a place like that. The lack of professionalism coupled with your being a nice guy means that they will probably use you and poach your sales and you will go hungry. You'd be better off in the parts department- at least you know how to use the parts catalog (unlike the people at the dealers here and in Richmond.)

MGarrison

I think the guy's attitude during the interview probably tells you all you might need to know. If he treats you that way during the interview, I can't imagine it would get any better were you to be hired, and his attitude is probably reflective of the entire organization. Ditto on Paul's point too - new or CPO BMW's are luxury, relatively niche items, which will be at the bottom of people's economic priority lists for the forseeable future until the economy substantially improves. Personally I'd wonder about the hours too - I'd guess you might find yourself having to be in the showroom 'til 9:00 p.m. and weekends, as the new-man-on-the-totem-pole.