Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Got laid off

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 31, 2009.

Devilsown guest

Hell if I had it my way, I would let my wife be the "bread winner" I would love to sit at home and do all the crap I want to do to, but at the sametime I say this as I have 0 free personal time, 12+ hour shifts, clean house, eat, take care of dogs, sleep... repeat 7 days a week, yes I work weekends, even now...yes superbowl sunday! the whole base is home, but not the flightline. The grass always appers to be greener on the otherside.

And not to worry Im sure something will come your way shortly.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Devilsown,
    Been there, done that (private sector, though.) I wouldn't hold my breath about getting a city/state job, though. For various reasons that don't usually make for friendly discussion, most states, cities, universities, etc. have hiring and raise freezes going because they are all broke. If you can find one, by all means take it, though, because you are right that those types of jobs are very secure.

granthr

Hello Chris:

Sorry to hear about the bad news!!!! That is just awful! I am sorry to hear they dragged you on thinking your position was safe. I work at a University and we currently have a hiring freeze. With some worries of some things being downsized.

Do keep your head up. With every resume and job interview you go to, you are one closer to getting a job. A somewhat helpful job searching book is "What Color is your Parachute?" by Richard Nelson Bolles. It has a lot of good basic advise. Most might seem obvious, but many people don't think of or do them even if they do know. There are many editions, so try and get the newest. Your local library might be a good place to start, to get a copy.

Good luck with the job search and it might not hurt to do a stop gap job like working for a place like H&R Block. Or even check around with your local CPAs, I would say you are more than qualified and it might even lead to a better job. Most accountants could you the extra help this time of year.

TeamStowell We love driving!

We have met her.... there is no doubt that she has always been in control!!

Autohaus guest

lol! I am up super early on this Monday morning looking for jobs and browsing the forums. I just applied to a position at a local auto auction who is hiring for a lot manager. The position would require to check on oncoming vehicles and to communicate with the body shop for any necessary repairs. I wrote them a cover letter stating that it would be a perfect fit for the both of us. The education requirements, get this, is only a HS diploma! However, the pay is much more than what I was making before. I just hope they won't think I am over qualified with my BS degree in Finance and my 10+ years of work experience.

granthr

Chris:

I was just reading in the paper about layoffs. They suggested that you try to negotiate a longer/better severance package. It certainly never hurts to try.

The auto auction jobs sounds pretty cool. At least you would be working with cars all day! :D

Autohaus guest

Well I was only with them for 14 months. They gave me a 3 week severance pay when I was only entitled to one weeks worth. The auto auction job does sound cool but no phone call yet :p

mooseheadm5

Be persistent, but don't pester. If it is something you think you can handle, then you need to try to get in there and talk to them. Don't worry about seeming overqualified, just tell them that your education gives you a leg up on the compettition because you are good with numbers and can help them make money.

granthr

+1 See in you can't find out who is hiring and get in there to see them! :D

JackinMidtown guest

Look at this as an opportunity. Think what you've always wanted to do in life - then do it! It might not be in accounting (god knows). At times, I wish I were so lucky. Whatever happens, best of luck with it.

missmelyssa guest

bad economy

Sorry to hear about your job Chris. (Sorry so late to the thread.) Work's been busy so it gives me the illusion that it's secure. Just had a meeting this morning, so nothing is really secure.

In the state of CA, they are also cutting state/county workers. Select Dept of Motor Vehicles offices are cutting Saturday hours. Did everyone hear that the postal service may even cut out Saturdays? It's crazy and scary. I'm hanging onto my job as long as I can.

As far as the car lot job...that would be cool. There are so many people that work the lots, that don't know much about their product. Pretty sad and annoying. I went to one bmw dealership to check out an e46, and the salesman looked at me with a weird look on his face. I thought to myself "Oh brother".

Anywho, keep us up to date.

Autohaus guest

Interview tomorrow already

What is a "e46" :confused: :D. I got a call from a marketing firm in White Plains this afternoon. They replied to my resume I sent them this morning. I was told that the hiring manager was impressed with the resume, so I have an interview at 11:30 tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. The company is called Red Zone International and they have been in business for 3 years. That makes me a bit skeptical but hey, I'm not going to turn this down. The position is for an "Entry Level Executive". I asked if the position is a salaried because sales is not for me. The person on the other end of the phone said that it is salary plus commission. Hopefully its not cold calling or some stupid door to door sales gig. She did mention that they deal with Visa and Mastercard. I need to do research on this company ASAP before I make further judgements.

EDIT: Thanks guys for the ongoing support. You may send me money at this address:

550 Uber Saloon Ave
    Anytown, USA 12345 :)

Autohaus guest

OK guys, I have viewed the website. I am not sure if this is for me. I read "sales" and that makes me shifty. Here is the website so I can have opinions.

http://www.redzoneinternational.com/

Now, your thoughts...............

mooseheadm5

Sounds like they are probably constantly hiring. I have a friend that has worked for places like that, and places like that tend to screw people over when it comes to comissions and performance and such. Remain skeptical, and don't take the job unless you know what it is that you are supposed to be doing. Many shady companies will sort of lead you along and then dump you into a perform or be fired environment with a tiny salary, no direction, and then cut you out of your comission before using you up and firing you. Who knows, though. They could be on the up and up- there is nothing bad about them on google.

JackinMidtown guest

First person that they need to hire is a proofreader.

drummerfc

Ohh, Dude...very sorry to hear the news. I'm hearing about this all around me...friends in regular and executive positions alike getting the chop. It's quite scary to say the least. Good friend of mine, a VP at Lincoln Financial, got the word last week and he has until April.

I'm not sure what "tri-state area" you're talking about, but if it's the Philly/Jersey/Delaware market, I'll certainly keep my eyes and ears open (that's where I live/work).

One question/suggestion (without knowing much about you or what you do) - have you looked into the Pharma/Clinical Research field? Very crazy business with lots of work. Somewhat political, but if you can get past that it's a good gig. Again - the Delaware Valley/North Jersey area is a hotbed for this industry. Think about it.

I'll keep ya in mind mate...

Frank

drummerfc

Sorry for the late reply...been busy as a dog lately...and sicker as one to boot!

MGarrison

And Chris, don't forget, if anyplace you go to for an interview has it's parking lot or parking places in view of your interviewer's or CEO's office, they really love it if you scream in at a high rate of speed and park your car like they did in The Blues Brothers, with a long, lurid, screeching, 180-degree, hand-brake turn slide, perfectly executed, into your parking spot. :p

az3579

I can only imagine him trying and then smashing into the exec's expensive SL65 AMG. :D

Autohaus guest

Throw me to the wolves, but I have cancelled the interview. A friend of mine who works for the SEC in NYC told me that one of his friends had an interview at this company a short time ago. They are shady!

lol

The tri-state I am talking about is NY, NJ, CT. A friend of mine who is in Iraq now has a sister in Parma/clinical research field and she is set for life. However, my education/experience will not land me in that field. I found a job I know I am qualified for in Bridgeport, CT (Botond), however, the pay is so low. I will have to sell my E39 and get a E21. Botond, wanna race?

:D
    I have nothing but contempt for you. Is your job hiring?!

UPDATE: My supervisor called me up yesterday. She told me that only her and I got let go in the accounting department. They also let go alot of people from other departments. However, we have a sister company located at a building next door and they are hiring for a position I am qualified. I applied to it as I saw it on Craigslist. I sent them my resume as a attachment, however, the contact emailed me back saying she couldn't open it so I just replied with it pasted onto the email. They are offering 10% less than what I was making but I wouldn't going back to the same area. I worked for Walter Karl, owned by Infousa and the sister company we have is Edith Roman (the company hiring for this one position). If the contact replies back, hopefully I'll get hired but I just hope I don't get let go again:(