Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Windshield Wipers in Winter

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by pcbeckwith, Jan 28, 2009.

pcbeckwith

Help!!! Anybody having problems with their windshield wipers caking up with ice during winter, as oppossed to summer, snow storms and then falling apart due to the load? Is there such a thing as winter wiper blades for BMW's?

granthr

This is what I run on my E36.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/WiperBlades/Icon.htm

I just put them on for the first time in the fall. I have been very happy with them so far. But, all wipers work best if you clear the windshield and clean the wipers before you head out on the road.

I use the tradition Bosch inserts on my E30s to keep with the period look of the jointed wipers.

pcbeckwith

Thanks for the info on the Bosch blades, there happens to be an outlet just around the corner from my house. I'll give them a try. By the way, I do clean my blades and windows off before moving however, when the person in front of you is doing 15mph, the weather is 20 degrees and snowing, rather tough to avoid the ice build up. Outside of moving to a warmer climate, I will accept advice on how to keep the ice build up from happening again.

granthr

Point well taken! :D Its just there are no perfect wipers out there that I have found.

granthr

I guess I should mention that I use to work for a national car rental company in the snow belt. All winter long we would have windshield wiper complaints and 99% of them were a result of people just not taking the time to clear everything off.

Wipers have lots of little areas for ice to form, thus becoming ridged, and no longer working very well. So that is where I was coming from. :D

At least the Bosch ICON's don't have joints in them to freeze up. So they are a little less likely to not give a clean sweep in winter driving.

halfpastfive guest

I have seen a number of people park their cars with the wipers lifted up ( as if you are going to clean the windshield) if there car is going to be out for a while. I guess that guarantees that they will at least not freeze to the glass. Fortunately I park inside at home and work and haven't had to do this yet.

az3579

Yeah, when it comes to ice, lifting the windshield wipers doesn't do a damned thing; they still freeze over. :(

kevs330Ci

lifting up the wipers.....

i think the reason, at least my reason, is to make it easier to clean off the windshield when its covered in snow....also the snow doesn't get all caked in the wiper when its sticking up in the air.....