Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hybrid A/C Compressors?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Perdek, Jan 28, 2009.

Perdek guest

Is there any information out there regarding what kind of A/C compressors the BMW Hybrids' are using? Are they mechanical, electrical/mechanical, straight electric? What compressor oil do they use? I will assume that the MiniE will have a full electric compressor. Any idea who is making the compressors; model numbers?

I found Visteon has developed an all electric A/C compressor for the upcoming CO2 Klima Systems: http://www.r744.com/article.view.php?Id=789, but I need to know what's being used in the current models. Any help? Some A/C tech out there must know what's going on and can enlighten me... Thanks

granthr

Sorry I cannot help you with your questions. But I am curious, what are you planning to do with a straight electric compressor? They are better in that they are less likely to leak because this is no external shaft that needs sealing. Think of your refrigerator or window A/C unit. So they would make a great upgrade for an older application, provided you can reasonably supply it with power.

Perdek guest

I'm in the mobile A/C maintenance industry and wondering what compressors BMW is using in their hybrid vehicles now.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Is there a BMW hybrid for sale right now?