Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Which BMW to take?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Jan 27, 2009.

Autohaus guest

On the 14th I'm taking my wife, her 10yr old daughter and our 2 yr old son to Disney. We plan on leaving around 5am and stopping around SC Friday evening and then continuing onto Orlando on Sunday morning. I am debating on either taking the E46 or the E39. The E46 has 84K miles and its still under the CPO warranty. It was just at the dealer 2 weeks ago getting an inspection II along with other CPO repairs. However, if we were to take this car I would need to get the control arm replaced ASAP. The front cupholders will come in handy for drinks on this long trip. The E39 has 128K miles and its currently in the shop getting new parts including:

alternator
    radiator
    fan clutch
    water pump
    expansion tank
    oil change
    final stage (blower) resistor
    new rear tires by next weekend.

It is a 5-speed but wifey doesn't know how to drive a manual :(. I love road trips to FL so I don't mind driving all the way. Heck, I drove 19 hours straight from Orlando to NY 4 years ago. The E39 has the sport suspension and style 5's so I love how she handles/looks. The E39 is more roomy than the E46, so her daughter could possibly lay down somewhat while my son is in his car seat. No warranty on the E39 as the 3rd party warranty expired 6 months ago :eek:. Which one would you take?

drummerfc

Wow...that's a tough call...

Take both...you drive the stick and have the little woman drive the automatic...LOL!

It's a long trip...I'd opt for the comfort of the larger/better ride...but that's me. Either way you're taking a great ride on a great trip. We did Disney last August. Get the meal plan, it's worth every penny.

MGarrison

I'd take the bigger car, and if there was any chance your wife wanted to, see if she wants to work on trying the manual. Once on your trip, if you got a straight, relatively long downhill entrance ramp to the highway out in the middle of nowhere and w/ no traffic or congestion, she could get the car coasting a bit, and you all could get rolling, and she wouldn't stall out if you let the clutch out probably in 3rd gear once rolling. Changing gears once you're rolling isn't that hard. The flip side is if any emergency situation arises, she would be less prepared than you to maneuver the car (like, having to downshift to speed up to get ahead of something, or whatever), and, it is your whole family in the car. I'd still take the bigger car though.

granthr

+1 and besides it sounds like the E39 is a little more road worthy at the moment than the E46. Why rush around trying to get the E46 ready for the trip when the E39 is fresh from the shop. Mileage doesn't bother me at all, as long as the car is taken care.

I like you new signature picture, Chris. The old one kept creeping me out! :D

Autohaus guest

We are staying off site at a hotel across from Celebration. Can the meal plan be purchased with the tickets?

I lied. She did learn how to drive a stick in a 92 525i I had 2 years ago but she was scared driving in the E39 for some reason. Maybe because it was newer. I though about taking her out this Sunday for a bit in the local HS parking lot (its huge). I was thinking the same thing here, larger car, more room and comfort.

Autohaus guest

Also, I don't mind driving the whole trip and back. I love long road trips. Usually I would do this in one day but with Peyton being only 2, we will have to make more pit stops along the way. So even if my wife cannot master the manual trans in the E39, it won't decide which car to take.

granthr

Glad to come through for you! :D

Sounds like the E39 is ready for a road trip. But you know your cars best. Trans, warranty, and comfort aside, which one do you trust more for the long trip. I would base it on that, and which ever car I want to add the miles to.

Actually on second thought, you should be taking the E28. Come you know that is really the car you want to take! :D

Autohaus guest

The E28 is not long distance ready :(. Will it make it? Let me put some facts down and I'll let you decide:

Timing belt, water pump and tensioner pulley were last changed Sept 2003 and the car has only been driven 2K miles.

Radiator, belts and hoses were last changed 1999 :eek:. Again, car has been driven maybe 20,000 miles since.

Full tune up done 1999

Transmission replaced in 1998. New fluid and gasket changed out once. Car has been driving about 40K miles since tranny replacement.

Leaks gas when tank is full. I would need a new gas tank

I need 3 new tires.

Bringing the E28 to Mickey=breakdown :(

granthr

If you took the E28 it would be like taking the family to WallyWorld, Griswald style! :D

Autohaus guest

LMAO!!! That was such a hideous wagon. However, put a S85 in it with a 6-speed manual and I would be glad to drive that thing.

MGarrison

Problem is the S85 Family Truckster, if it went about the way it did in the movie, would disintegrate as you progressed through your trip. :p

As absolutely absurd as it looked in 1983 (and still does), I think it's interesting to note that the nose design isn't all that far off of the nose panel designs of many U.S. pickups, for many years now!

granthr

The Family Truckster is a great car! :D I agree on the linkage to recent pickups. I think the current designers were watching too much Chevy Chase in their spare time.

I do believe that hood could double as a heli pad!

az3579

Chris, darn it, I told you: you HAVE to take the E39, end of story! This is NOT a democracy!

It's comfier, roomier, cooler looking, MANUAL, and fer cryin' out loud, IS BETTER!
    I can't believe you had to waste all these peoples' time just confirming what is the correct choice. :p

mattm

In the name of safety take the car that does NOT need the control arm. All the work that is to be done will not put in a hazardous situation.

Autohaus guest

Many Chevy/GMC pickups!

He is a cornball. He goes to Carol's job alot for medical treatment. The doctors say he is a very unpleasant person. Very grumpy and doesn't want to be bothered.

Easy cowboy! I am surprised everyone here is picking the E39.

I plan on ordering both arms, bushings, etc... by next week regardless if I take the E46 or not.

drummerfc

az3579

Why is that surprising?

Autohaus guest

drummerfc

Yeah, it wasn't the nicest hotel on "the block" but you're in Disney...other than a shower, change of clothes and sleep, WTF else do you need a room for? Not worth spending Grand Floridian or Contemporary $$$ especially with 2 teenagers in tow. :eek: So it was an easy choice.

The food is overpriced but the meal plan saves BIG $$$$!! Imagine paying for that food a-la-carte?? Sheesh!

Last thought - a Disney vacation is fun but by NO means relaxing! I needed a vacation FROM the vacation after that...Heh Heh. :p All those lines...lines for the rest rooms, lines to eat, lines to board the buses, lines to get off the buses, lines lines LINES! Enjoy it...

CRKrieger

You, sir, are a complete wimp. We (and you know of whom I speak) drive these cars to hell and gone all over the US - even to Reno - and survive the ordeal; nay, we are better for it!

Buy the tires; they are probably cheaper than doing anything you're thinking of doing to the other two cars. Ignore the fuel leak. Just don't fill it near the end of a driving day so it doesn't leak while sitting. It probably does not leak while running because you'll have a slight vacuum on it and I'd bet it doesn't leak all that much anyway. You know the E28 is the best of the three.