Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Advice needed on value

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by 309785, Jan 26, 2009.

309785 guest

I need to sell my 1986 325es, it has developed an occasional stalling problem when warm and I cannot spend any more money on it (just bought a new car). Recent work done within the past year is new timing belt, front control arm bushings, rear upper shock mounts, clutch slave & master cylinders, battery, brake pads and all fluids changed.

Work still needed is: fix the stalling problem, AC not working, needs shocks and it has a whine/bearing noise from the transmission, but no shifting problems.

It doesn't seem to have much value with the work needed and I don't know if I should just list it as a parts car or what?

Besides the obvious problems the engine runs strong and all the electrics / computer work; the body does not appear to have been in any accidents, but the paint is chipped and faded. The car is a 5 speed, Bronzit color with tan interior.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bark guest

I would guess you'll have to be under $1,000 to get it sold as-is.

On the stalling problem, have you checked the idle control valve? Notorious culprit, easy fix.

Good luck.

granthr

You fail mention how many miles are on it. I wouldn't be so quick to sell it for so little. It is an "es" which makes a little more valuable. There were not many of these. But going against it are the color combination and the eta motor, as it is not a "is". Don't spend any more money on it, but do clean it up. Really make the interior look nice and clean the engine bay. You should be able to get at least $2K for it if not more. It should be worth more together than in pieces or a parts car.

Put it in Roundel Magazine, as not everyone is here online and most people look through the classifieds. Also put it on craigs list. These two mentions are free. Another good place to advertise is www.autotrader.com, about $75 for run till it sells.

Good Luck

az3579

Nope. Not gonna happen. Unless it's really low mileage (under 140k) or has a flawless interior, or some kind of unique trait that no other es for the price have, it's not going anywhere near the above-2k range. Faded/chipped paint, a tan/bronzit color combo, and some mechanic issues are almost guaranteed to steer you clear from 2k, unfortunately.

Not to be negative or anything, just being realistic. Your average Joe car buyer probably wouldn't buy it for that price, perhaps for $1000-1200, but that's a big maybe, unless you score a CCA member who is almost certain to overpay for the car. Hell, most people who advertise their cars on Roundel are asking way too much, which goes to show you crazy us CCA members are. :D

MGarrison

Sez You! :p ;)

az3579

No, I personally don't mind Bronzit, but lots of people don't like it.

granthr

Yea I know. All mine are Black on Black, so I am biased! :cool: But really, this car should have sport seats, big OBC, and LSD, if lucky maybe even map lights. Not to forget, the front and rear spoilers. If it is cleaned up and advertised in Roundel where a bunch of nuts like us would be willing to pay $2,500 for a 22 year old car it just might bring that amount or not! :D

I mean, really this is kind of point less to discuss value, when we don't even know what the thing looks like. We are just going on his basic description.

So, OP post some pics!!!! Good ones, inside and out. Then we can give you a better idea.

MGarrison

If it wasn't rusty, crunched, or the carpeting/headliner/dashboard shot, AND I had the money for the project (I don't :rolleyes:), I'd buy it and make it an 'is, because it is bronzit, and reasonably close to mine for familiarity's sake. However, I suspect I'm a very singular minority in that respect. :D

Unfortunately, none of that helps the OP one bit!

btw, I don't think map lights appeared until ummm... '90, I think. Maybe '89 - same time as airbags, I think.

z31maniac guest

Bronzit is FTW!

Check the ICV, coolant temp sensors and for vaccum leaks.

309785 guest

Thanks to all for the info...it's helped me alot.

BTW, the car has 160,000 miles and is a So. Calif. car with no rust.

Thanks again!

granthr

A SoCal car is always worth something! I would buy it if I were in the market, but I am not at the moment. Sorry. Good Luck! :cool:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

$1500 considering condition and location. It must be able to pass emissions or be sold to someone that can fix it for it to be worth much more.