Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What DON'T you like about your bimmer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by drummerfc, Jan 22, 2009.

az3579

THAT is PRECISELY why I'm not getting one. I'm not going to pay a few hundred for it and then pay more to have it painted, only for it to get damaged. Where I park at home it just would not be possible to not damage it in some way entering/exiting this particular driveway, so GIVE IT UP!

granthr

Come on Botond, I know deep down inside you want a huge very low front spoiler that you have to baby and take driveway entrances at an angle! :D

Autohaus guest

My E28 is very low with the sport suspension and the 535is front spoiler. When that was my DD eons ago I would plan my route so I wouldn't have to encounter dips into driveways and/or shopping plaza's. Back then I lived in a apartment complex and I had to go at certain angles to go over speed bumps. Now, my E28 will not scrape in my new driveway. This weekend I have to remove a dresser that is in the way in the garage so the E28 can be somewhat of a garage queen :)

az3579

Whoa dude, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too lazy for that! Besides, how would I plan my trip so that I avoid my parking spot? There's no escaping it! :eek:

That garage is awfully small, but I'm sure with some TLC, it would be a perfect fit for your E28, like a glove. :D

bmw art car guest

the only downside i could think off is that the car eats
    parts and tools- whenever you drop something in the engine bay
    it's gone forever. nothing ever falls through:mad:

drummerfc

Gotta love the irony...

;)

drummerfc

Totally off-topic...funny how my "Join Date:" says Jan 1970. JC, I was only *12* in 1970!!

Anyone have a solution?

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Agree that the tools almost never fall thru and get hung up. I have this to offer. After 21 years in aviation maintenance, I have dropped more than a few wrenches, screwdrivers etc. into the abyss inside an aircraft. Difference is, you MUST get it out and sometimes it is darn near impossible!! Here is my solution....I tie the tool to my wrist with Tie String (similar to dental floss, but thicker). It only takes a second and can save you literally hours of searching and digging. If you can't see the bolt/screw/nut and must operate by feel, take a minute and do this as you are bound to drop something and you will never see where it went.
    I call it my "tool leash". I have another one that is a converted ESD (electro static discharge) coiled cable with a velcro wrist band and an alligator clip on then end. Great for wrapping around, or thru, box end wrenches, and other hand tools.

I was once on the tail of a Gulfstream V and dropped a snap-on ratcheting screwdriver after the apex tip broke while trying to remove screws. Instead of hitting other aircraft surfaces, or my fellow crew members below, it just "bungy jumped" beneath my wrist.....

MGarrison

Yeah... I shoulda left earlier! Even 30 seconds earlier would have done it.

BMW: 1; Racoon: 0, except it went down fighting by taking the spoiler with it.

I can tell you with complete certainty that if you hit a large adult racoon at 65 mph. in a lowered 325is, it will instantly rip the front spoiler right off! Interestingly, the front spoiler did not break into pieces, but maybe it's possible it turned sideways or something and didn't get run over by two or four wheels. I think I drove over it though.

That sure put a kink in the rest of the evening's plans! Things could always be worse though, I think once I heard of someone hitting a deer while en-route to a driver's school. Owie.

Jeff, that's a great common sense solution to something that happens all the time - I can see in a lot of places where that would be essential. Something tells me NASA might start to consider paring it's losses $100k at time with an idea like that! "Gee... we're not rocket scientists! Oh! Wait! We are!" :p

I wonder if many/any workers on the construction of the empire state building lost their rivet guns or whatever.... they would have been too high for anyone much more than a few stories below to hear any shouted warning, either!

I would contact the National Office and speak to Steve Schlossman. If you look around, you are NOT the only one with the 1970's join date. Steve is very active on the Forums, and probably knows about this situation. I know they are working on other forum issues as well....:D

drummerfc

Will do..thanks.

Nice M5 by the way...call me an old fart but I like the older body style 5-series (ending with the E39) much better than the newer redesigns.

GregS_WI guest

e39 -- don't you love the A/C?

Don't you love your dual zone, automatic climate control system? Automatic until you need the A/C on then you have to push the button by hand (e-gads!) and when you no longer need it, it stays on until you push it again. Couldn't they automate that? Little built in logic: if (desired temp < current temp) then Turn_on_Ac();? Maybe checking for a temperature difference > XXX or current temp > YYY?

Then, after you use your A/C, it turns to mold and blows it at you the next time! But, as BMW has repeatedly said that because you use it wrong...

This annoys me both times I need the A/C each year. :D

Thanks Frank,
    Appreciate the feedback on my M5...it truly is an honor and joy to own and drive. I hear that comment, concerning the E34, as being the last model that looks like a traditional "BMW", whatever that means. If you mean, no plastic covered headlights, and i-drive then yes. The E39, in my opinion, it the perfect transitional car between old school design and the current offerings. I do like the current models, but they have to grow on you a bit if you are used to older models. That issue is made easier once you drive them. Truly cars made for "driver's"....not passenger mentality sitting in a drivers seat.

If you get a chance, click on the blue Car Domain link below. It takes you to a free sight where you can post pictures and share all sorts of things about your car. Great place to keep records and document condition for insurance purposes etc.

Greg,
    I know exactly what you mean.....I learned to turn off my A/C, and switch the fan to high a few blocks from home to help dry the condensated water from the system. I balked at first when I heard this, but it does work. Further, once parked, I will hit the 30 minute fan timer on the OBC to add additional drying time while parked and that really works well. I never/rarely have any stinky air or junk hitting me in the face anymore coming from the vents.

You may already know this, but if you live in a cold climate, it is still good to cycle the a/c for 5 minutes ever couple of weeks to keep the oil moving around the system. This keeps the o-ring seals lubed and deters dry rotting and also the compressor seals like it. Running the defroster will accomplish this as well as it kicks on the a/c.

Perhaps we could all better avoid accidents as well...."you crashed because you did it all wrong...you didn't follow the exercises prescribed in the owners manual".....gotta love them Germans.....;)

kevs330Ci

what i dont like about my bimmer.......

just a few things, like plastic cooling system components, peeling roundels, and brake dust.....other than that i love this car........

Autohaus guest

I guess thats why you have dark colored wheels :D. I hate brake dust with a passion. Are you using OEM pads? That is what we have on the E46 and after one day of driving, they are black :eek:

kevs330Ci

yeah, OEM pads....still under factory warranty until 6/09:)

hefewzn

I have a 2006 E90 330i, sport, premium, cold, nav, 7 logic, sat, comfort access, shades, sparkling graphite over black dakota leather. What don't I like....

No ipod integration (as std.), voice command system is slow (or I am too impatient), no oil dipstick, no water temp guage and how large the rear of the car feels. Oh yeah, and the Valve tick when the car sits for a couple days. The dealer 'fixed' it with service bulletin SI 11 09 07 but it keeps coming back.

I have owned the car for about 4 months and love it! It has more options than I was looking for but couldn't pass up the deal.

GregS_WI guest

You assume...

Here are the latest averages for last month. Does this count as a cold climate:
    [TEMPERATURE DATA]
    AVERAGE MONTHLY: 3.3
    HIGHEST: 42 ON 31
    LOWEST: -24 ON 15,13

[NO. OF DAYS WITH]

MAX 32 OR BELOW: 30
    MAX 90 OR ABOVE: 0
    MIN 32 OR BELOW: 31
    MIN 0 OR BELOW: 22

That assumes the e39 actually gets out to play every couple weeks! I took it today, but that the first major drive since November! Good advice, I usually hit the defroster anyway but with this in mind, I'll make it a point each time it goes out.

Thanks.