Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Just joined, questions

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by billygoat777, Jan 20, 2009.

billygoat777 guest

Hey guys I just signed up for the club so I can start auto-xing in my e34!

I have a few questions though:

I am only 17 so I was wondering if there was any sort of waiver or something that needs to be signed by parents in order for me to compete? And if there is, where could I get one before Feb. 1st because I plan on going to that event and my dad is currently on deployment and my mom most likely won't want to go out to qualcomm for the day.

I also know that the cars have to be inspected before you can drive, I was just wondering if a vaccuum leak would lead to me not being able to compete?

I was also wondering about the helmets, I don't have a helmet, and I don't have money for one at the moment, is there a way to rent a helmet or something? I can get a motorcycle helmet though, but would that be allowed?

thanks guys

billygoat777 guest

Idk how to erase a thread on this forum, but I found the answers to all my questions. Next time I will make sure to search first.

granthr

Glad you found your answers! Welcome to the club! What kind of E34 do you have?

billygoat777 guest

Thanks! it's a 1990 535i

granthr

Thats a great car with a great motor! I have always like the E34 535i.

pseto

welcome. have fun autocrossing:D
    • Staff

steven s

You will need to have a waiver signed by both parents (or guardians).
    Many chapters have loaner helmets.
    Helmets must be Snell rated. The minimum rating for an autocross is Snell M95 or SA95. M for motorcycle, SA for Special Applications. DOT helmets will not be accepted.

There generally is a tech inspection that varies from chapter to chapter.
    As long as you are not leaking fluids, I don't see a vacuum leak being a problem.

Check with your chapter about tech, helmets and waiver.

billygoat777 guest

Thanks steven s.

Hey guys I do have one more question though. Since I just signed up, I don't think I will get my card by Feb. 1'st, where can I print out the receipt to show that I am a member of bmwcca? I searched everywhere on this site, am I blind or something because I absolutley can't find it?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Start 'em young!

Heh. I notice that our new member, Autocross Boy, is referring to the San Diego Chapter. . . home of autocross in fourth gear!

And I want you birds to note that he needs to get things squared away because WE START AUTOCROSSING IN FEBRUARY! EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT, SNOW-BELTERS!

I'm sorry; I couldn't resist.

granthr

Ah, you are just rubbing it in because you use to be in the same cold salty boat! :D

billygoat777 guest

Haha yes I am in the SD chapter.. lol what are these things that i have to get squared away?

btw do you know where I can find that receipt to print out? =0

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

When did you join, I mean what date. The company I work for prints and mails all the membership cards and we mail them weekly, in fact a bunch went out today. If you joined yesterday, we will print and mail Wed,Thur of next week after we get the records from National. I could also search by name and see if it went out already.:D

Anyway, if you don't have a card in hand, I am betting they will let you play, or attend any events between now and next week. I have never seen someone get turned away at the door....except for perhaps Satch at a Kansas City Chapter Driving School Dinner. I think he had forgotton his meal ticket in his instructors packet. They let him in because, as it turns out, he was the evenings keynote speaker.... Oh the good ol'days.....:p

billygoat777 guest

I signed up the night before last. And ok thanks man, I'll pm you.

I already preregistered, so I would hope they let me in even without the card

lol at that story, it kinda helps if you let your speaker into the event =D

billygoat777 guest

Hey guys how much does fuel weight affect the car on the track a lot, like if I had half a tank, rather than a full tank, would it make a noticebale difference? And how much gas is usually used in a day of auto-xing?

CRKrieger

At your first autocross, it will make no difference at all. You will be there to gain experience, not to win, so don't worry about details like this.

billygoat777 guest

Thanks man

I had a great time today, were any of you out there too?

I'm addicted and driving home I was so tempted to take every turn as if I was timed getting home haha but I was able to resist the urge

shanneba

Satch,

If you still have your Texas Roundell, you could have run our Houston Chapter January AutoX.

Scott