Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

early e30 wheel lug conversion

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by mac townsend, Jan 20, 2009.

mac townsend guest

1984 325E with lug bolts

is it possible to convert to studs? I'm not having fun trying to hoist the wheel into position...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yes. Contact roadracetech.com for studs, and tell them Paul sent you. Not super cheap, but if you change the wheels lots, they are nice.

mac townsend guest

I have. Thanks, Paul.

Amazon also has the stud kit!!

I understand (but not for sure) that the bolt-on cars came with a positioning stud you could screw in and use to hang the darn wheel on while you aligned 1-2 of the bolts.

can anyone confirm this? what was it officially called?

it looks like this would this would fit my social security check better than a $100+ solution<<BG>
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

There is a tool in the trunk tool kit that you can use this way. It is that long punch looking thing, and one end fits into a bolt hole. You can get studs anywhere, but cheap studs are not necessarily a good idea. If you wanted, you can go to a fastener store and buy just one stud to make hanging the wheel easier.

MGarrison

MGarrison

lol - Paul and I were replying at almost the same time. :p I'd suggest that cheap studs are a BAD idea - they are, after all, what HOLD the wheels on!

mac townsend guest

I do not have anything like that in my rusted tool kit (boy what poor quality stuff I found in my mostly empty tool kit!)

perhaps I should get a 3" cap screw of right thread, and cut off the head. think that would work?>

MGarrison

Don't see why not - I'm gonna guess BMW hubs are metric thread - btw, I'm not saying studs are a bad idea at all, (only low quality ones) and as Paul mentions, they're nifty if you swap wheels a lot - If you're not doing driver's schools/auto-x/etc. requiring frequent wheel swaps, studs might be overkill for street usage, unless you just want them.

mac townsend guest

12mmx1.25 -- at least mine are.<G>

for now I'm going to make a "helper" from a bolt with the head cut off. I can hang the wheel on it to make it easier to maneuver

looks like the $ to change to studs comes out somewhere north of $100...which is out of my price range.