Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Hello from Seattle

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Corren, Jan 20, 2009.

Corren guest

Well, I'm now a member of the BMWCCA! Hi! I'm Ken, and I'm a closet car nut who's ignored my passion for a couple of years now. My wife and I have just ordered a 335 E90 with 6MT and we're going to Munich this April to pick it up.

My car/driving background is somewhat limited, even though driving and racing are huge (expensive) passions. I spent a year and a half as the co-driver of a rally car in SCCA Club Rally, and I'm excited about autocross and track days for my new Bimmer. Otherwise my daily drivers have been modest at best; The BMW will be a huge upgrade for me.

Here's a video link for those would like to witness my last race as a Rally co-driver (I was in the passenger seat) from 2004: http://www.ckrally.com/video/doowop rock n roll.wmv

Anyways, hello everyone!

Ken

BMWtoyz guest

Hi Ken I am in the Seattle area as well. Welcome to the club. Maybe we will see each other sometime at one event or another.

ericsmc83 guest

Welcome from another PNW member!

granthr

Welcome to the club!! And thank you for buying a Manual!!!! If we keep buying them in significant numbers BMW will (hopefully) keep offering them!

Corren guest

My Wife and I don't understand the fascination with automatics in this country. We both refuse to drive anything but a manual transmission. And having recently looked around, there aren't many sport sedans that offer good performance with a manual transmission.

So here we are...and besides...twin turbos :)

drummerfc

After a 10-year hiatus from a manual tranny (in a '96 328is Coupe, by the by), I'm back! There's just no comparison IMO...plus the gas mileage is better :)

Now, the bad news - gotta re-introduce the wife to a clutch and stick-shift. Ugh...

BMWtoyz guest

I too love a manual vs an automatic, but seriously try driving one west to east on Seattle roads. I have been caught at a red light in downtown Seattle at a very steep hill, it can be daunting (and I am a very experienced clutch operator). And yes I know the e-brake technique, etc. Just some thought.

Corren guest

I work in downtown seattle, the hills are certainly challenging, but not insurmountable.

The awesome feature on the E9X is the hill assist; It holds your rear brakes when you let off the brake for 2 seconds so you don't roll back while you apply the clutch :) It's going to spoil me I can guarantee you that...

I also think I'm going to have to do the mod to remove the CDV...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Welcome to the madness!

I hope you get time to drive the 335i past break-in; otherwise the Autobahn will be frustrating! (Ask me how I know!) You're going to love the delivery experience at BMW Welt---be sure to take in the new museum, too!

Hmmm: Must be time for us to run another Touring Germany story in Roundel!

Corren guest

Sadly, we wont get to do extended Autobahn driving, and I'm exceptionally cautious about break-in, that being said, I do think you can probably get up to 100mph without too many RPM for limited high speed enjoyment.

We're spending 4 days in Munich so we'll get to see all the sights, then taking the long way to Fussen through the alps for 2 nights, Rothenburg for 2 nights, then on to Amsterdam (drop off the car) for 3 nights, a quick stop in Paris to enjoy Versailles (missed it on our honeymoon) and then to London for a week before we head home.

The good news about dropping the car in the middle of the trip is that it should cut a week or so off our perceived wait for the redelivery.

missmelyssa guest

manuals

I have autos in my trucks and manuals in my car.
    I've had one suv and a car that were both autos.
    Nice and all, but I was SO bored.
    Only manuals for me from now on.

I head to San Francisco and Oakland from time to time...lots of hills there too.

BMWtoyz guest

I would bet Frisco is worse than Seattle, use to live there however I was only 12. My truck is an auto and of course the roadster a manual (only way it came).