Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

3M film / detailing of M Roadster

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by 330indy1, Mar 17, 2008.

330indy1

Over the weekend I had the 3m film treatment applied to my 131 mile 2006 M Roadster (new to me).
    I have an expert installer in Indy (a good friend) that applied the front air dam/shield in one piece, perfectly aligned. Also did the headlight shields which are thicker to protect from impacts. No worries now when entering triple digit speed. He also did a couple extra things that were incredibly thoughtful:
    • film trim behind each wheel on the paint strip in the wheel wells
    • film on the A pillars
    • film in front of the rear wheels (on body flare)
    • side mirrors (part of the kit)
    • door handles (underneath)
    ...It cost 4 digits but will absolutely guard the paint, and over the years I suppose help the car's value if I ever parted with it (not likely).

I highly recommend this treatment even to those who have their cars run in a bit. A little BMW matching paint touch up underneath does wonders.
    I have it on all the cars, and it really gives peace of mind.

rainnold guest

I had mine done to including headlights

az3579

Isn't that a little steep? This is the kind of treatment that can be applied yourself, right? I might do that later on my next car if all I have to pay for is the film...

330indy1

depends.
    my guy installed the front as one piece. one piece!! ...on a z4 and perfectly aligned --> that is one hell of an accomplishment. he does Ferraris etc. and is an expert. this is one of those things that instead of 'learning' how to do it, I want it perfect and it's worth every dime (to me) to be done right (the first time)...

rainnold, you won't regret it, every time you're behind some local yocal dropping dirt and crap from his pickup truck....

rainnold guest

Yeap you're wright, its also really easy to clean specially im using Plexus its pretty good stuff.

rainnold guest

Trust me it's not easy to install even if you buy the pre-cuts, if you want it done right get a good reputable installer thats the key.

rainnold guest

Also good installers usually charge more. The more protection you want the more price you pay. And they do a pretty good job. 290064 is right look for an installer that do the ferrari , porsche or BMW dealerships in your area.

MMMMaster guest

3m film

just be careful of the edges ,do not rub in to the file as it will lift.....over a short time...:D

330indy1

and remove your car wax before it dries. otherwise it really adheres to the film edges...

ARByers ///MPower

Nice move. I had it installed on my M3. As for cost, it will save you some serious cash over the long term. It wasn't applied to the other two and a very poor detail job burned in bug marks to the nose of the X5--hood and A-pillars. The local dealership (local for me is 5 hours away) quoted $2,800 to repaint and fix the mistake. It'll get repainted spring '09 and then 3M'd immediately following! So pick your poison...4 figures for repainting or 4 figures for 3M.