Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M50/S50/S52 E30 Conversion

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by MGarrison, Jan 14, 2009.

Autohaus guest

My wife mentioned Oktoberfest and I was like "oh really"! We'll see what we can do as we are planning a FL trip in July. Elkoholic, sitting in traffic for that long is crazy. B, have you been looking for a E36 M3 5-speed tranny?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yeah, you using your trans with a custom brace/shifter or you going for an E36/E34 trans (or better yet, the E34 Getrag trans?) Best all around diff for E36/34 trans is 3.25, best for E30 trans is 3.64 or 3.73.

az3579

Well, I was going to use the E36 M tranny (ZF), but now you introduce the E34 Getrag into the picture. What would I gain by using the E34 Getrag?

Everyone looks at me funny when I tell them that I plan on using my 2.93. I dunno why; 98% of the time I won't be thrashing the car around and would like the lower revs on the highway. Either this, or I will get a 3.25, at the most. But, this will also depend on what tranny I'll be using. I'll be picking up research on this when I have a bit more money.

mooseheadm5

The 2.93 will be fine if you use an E36 trans. I lied, actually, since the best is a 3.15 from a Z3, but those are rare(ish) and not as cheap as a 3.25LS. It won't move off the line as quickly with the 2.93, but you won't know the difference since you'll be pinned in the seat with a silly grin on your face anyhow.
    Now a 2.93 with an E30 trans will leave a little to be desired, but the S50 has plenty of bottom end torque.
    IIRC, the E34 trans has the correct flange bolt spacing so you don't need a different driveshaft (it might even bolt right up) and you don't need to have a special cross member. I am not 100% on this, but search r3v and you will find the answer.

az3579

Good. I'd like to keep my diff if at all possible. It's much cheaper to just reseal the diff and use what I have than to get another one.

I don't care too much about off-the-line performance as I won't be actually "racing" with it, just autocross and HPDE's.

Besides, it's not like the Civics 'round here stand a chance anyway, even with a 1.50 diff (making that up). :D

mooseheadm5

Nothing would stand a chance with that diff :p

As you do more aoutox and HPDE you will want to have a selection of diffs to use for various events. That comes later, though.

az3579

I'm not gonna be swapping diffs for events. :p

mooseheadm5

Have fun being uncompetitive.

az3579

Thanks, but I'm not really going for the competition. I'm going for the fun. That might escalate later, but that will be years from now.

z31maniac guest

If the Getrag 250 in the E34 is the same as the E36 then I can tell you this:

1. Notorious for being the weakest of the three (ZF 320, Getrag 260, Getrag 250).
    2. Can use E30 driveshaft, bolt pattern is the same....
    3......However, it has 12mm holes vs 10mm holes in the E30 driveshaft.

So you either have to drill out the holes on the E30 driveshaft OR use 12->10mm reducer bushings and use E30 flex disc bolts.

There is a guy on R3V, mattdk318i, who is making the modded trans cross member and shifter components (he just put mine in the mail back to me yesterday). Or I'd just use the trans/driveshaft out of a 328, with the appropriate diff.

The reason I stuck with Gertag 260 was because the car just got a fresh driveshaft from Driveline of Portland a few months ago and I was originally planning on keeping the 4.10 since I was going to go an M50/M52 originally. But since I'm now going S52 I'm ending up changing the diff anyway, back to a 3.73. Although I'd really like a 3.64.

granthr

What models came with a 3.64 other than the early 84 318i? If this is the only car it came in, than it is the small case diff. Is it strong enough to hold up to the power of an M50/52 or more importantly, S50/52?

I have a small case open 3.64 diff that came off my 84 318i. 74K miles, has red line in it that has about 10k on the oil. I might be willing to part with it for a reasonable price.

z31maniac guest

Late model manual E24s, hence the rarity.

I can't imagine anyone wanting an open, small case diff for a 24v swap.

granthr

Thanks for the info, and wasn't expecting many or any takers. I just thought I would throw it out there that I had it. :)

BenM guest

Great thread you guys. I see some familiar faces from r3vlimited and mye28 as well. I bought most of my maintenance parts from AutohausAZ, with a few from the dealer. I can give you a pretty complete list if you want.

Also, do you track your car up at LRP? I definitely saw you up there this past April 10th (I was in an S50'd Calypso E34 Touring) and again last October (was driving a Diamonschwarz Turbo E30 318is).

I just completed this swap on my 4dr. E30 and would be happy to give you a hand, offer advice or even make the wiring adapter for you. I'm in the Shelton/Stratford area, right on Rt.110. Shoot me a PM or call me at 2 zero 3 six 0 five 7 six 4 three.

Ben

az3579

YES!!! I remember you. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet touring BTW!
    I'm so glad that you're close by. Heck, I work right down the road at Sikorsky! All of my engine-swap mechanic candidates are so far away, the closest being 70 miles away. Are you proficient in the swap? I'll send you a PM about this so we can further discuss details.

mooseheadm5

What other parts did you get with the motor B?

az3579

Alternator (80), AC compressor, ECU w/ EWS, wiring harness.
    And of course an S50B30.

mooseheadm5

Are you planning to use your flywheel and starter or did you get the S50 set? What about exhaust? Did you only get the manifolds, or did you get the whole system? Do you have a plan for the booster yet? Radiator and catch tank? MAF? Intake boot? PS pump? He actually took a couple of relays out of the harness I see.

az3579

I'm thinking of getting the ZF box from the M3, so I will most likely end up using the M3 flywheel and starter as well. As a result, I believe the E36 exhaust can be used as well; it bolts right up onto the mounts on the tranny, right?

Booster; I think there are some options on this one. E21 booster would require modification, but I think an iX booster will work OK, though harder to come by. I read the 750iL master cylinder would fit well with the ix booster, though I don't remember this very clearly.

I haven't looked too much into the radiator just yet, but I believe I need an '88+ E30 radiator, or an E36 radiator. What about the MAF? Would the stock E36 one fit, and PS pump?

z31maniac guest

Don't get lazy!

All the info you need is in this thread and in the R3V 24v section.