Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M50/S50/S52 E30 Conversion

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by MGarrison, Jan 14, 2009.

granthr

In PA it depends on what County you live in. Some counties are more intrusive then others. In high population counties they sniff the exhaust. Others they only check the gas cap, and I think there are still some that don't do anything.

If you drive less than 5,000 miles a year you don't have to have your exhaust sniffed no matter what county you are in.

Cars with a classic license plate (15+ years old) don't require the exhaust sniffed

Cars with the antique license plate (25+ years old) don't require inspection at all.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Mmm, bad as hell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/325-is-with-vanos-motor-conversion_W0QQitemZ250389675141QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item250389675141&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

granthr

That is a great car, he really has the euro look going. :cool:

az3579

So, an S50 now resides in my possession. :D

113K miles, build date 01/95. I believe this has the valve spring retainers that caused issues on certain models. How worried should I be about this? How can I tell if it's been upgraded, and if it hasn't, where can I get them and for how much? How hard to install?

z31maniac guest

Nice.

Check on bimmerforums for the info, surely it's posted somewhere on that site.

I'm getting very close to be able to drop the OBD-I S52 in mine!

az3579

Teaser:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

:D

z31maniac guest

That a silver label 503?

Won't you have to deal with EWS, not that big a deal really, but it's why I went ahead and got a 413 Red label.

mooseheadm5

TMS can hook him up with a JimC chip with EWS delete

z31maniac guest

So can TRM (The Racer's Market) which is where I'll be ordering my OBD-I S52 540i MAF chip from in the next few weeks.

OH we are getting so close. Just need to buy a good 3.73 diff and get the rear sway in and the suspension overhaul is done.

Then it will only be the 924 brake booster and putting the engine in! (which of course means new wp/thermostat/seals/gaskets on the trans as well, radiator and cooling hoses (old rad was shot), new fuel pump and filter and order the rebuilt calipers to go with the UUC rotors and porterfield pads.

I can't wait to get my E30 back on the road. And see what 550/750 springs with 22/19 sways feel like.

I'm also now contemplating throwing 245/35/17 Toyo R1R's on my 17 x 8 Work wheels....

Autohaus guest

Looks to me like a M50 engine with a S50 valve cover.

hahaha

mooseheadm5

That's exactly what I was going to say :eek:

(but I'm not a complete azz :rolleyes:)

az3579

VIN Matches. :rolleyes:

Autohaus guest

Someone could have switched VINS :D

az3579

We'll see who'll get the last laugh when I blow you away in my BMW 325 sDrive 30i. :p

Autohaus guest

Then you cannot haz SlowDrive2.8e during your 5-day engine swap! I hope you get it done by summers end B. Do I hear OktoberFest roadtrip?

az3579

Definitely no roadtrip if this gets done by summer's end. I'll be broke by then. :(

Brian A

If there is a will, there is a way:

Elkoholic

^^BAHAHAHA^^ classy.

az3579

LMFAO!!

I can't, guys! I'm a contractor and I start work again tomorrow. If I take a week + off for Oktoberfest, I'll be a week's paycheck short, and I can't afford to let that happen. I don't get paid holidays or vacation/sick days; heck, if I miss an hour, I get an hour deducted from the check, simple as that. I envy those of you who are actually employed by a company and get all of those beneifts... :(

Elkoholic

Like the benefits of waking up at 5:00 am to get ready and slog through an hour's worth of traffic to make it into the office by 7:00 :p