Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

M50/S50/S52 E30 Conversion

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by MGarrison, Jan 14, 2009.

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Is that a tuned chip or just EWS delete? I have a TWS chip that is tuned for the M3 exhaust and lightweight flywheel with EWS delete.

Anyhow, it should work, but the Getrag 260 comes in 2 flavors - shallow and deep bell housing. You can use an M20B25 flywheel on a deep bellhousing trans with a custom pushrod, and you can use an M20B20 flywheel on an M50 with a custom pushrod, so it should work. Again, this is the sort of thing that has to get figured out that can take time and therefore money. I wanted a 12lb flywheel on my M50 so I opted for an M20 flywheel of secret part number, but then had to use an M20 starter (I was surprised by that one) and a custom pushrod.

z31maniac guest

EWS only. Although you can get a tuned chip with EWS delete from them as well.

How can you tell the difference between the long and short bellhousing 260? I've never read anywhere that there were differences in the trans between "e" and "i" cars. Only the flywheels.

mooseheadm5

You can measure them, but I don't know the measurements any more. I didn't know anything about it either until my old boss put an i flywheel on his 87 es. Damned if the clutch pedal didn't bottom out before disengaging the clutch. We did lots of head scratching and almost pulled the trans before we pulled out the tape and measured our spare trans stock and the one on my car.

az3579

Can we return this conversation to the correct thread now? :rolleyes:
    Damn you Chris, my OCD is killing me now having it in two separate threads!

Anyway, I realize I will at some point have to swap the tach out for an 8k tach. Can I use one from an E30 M3 as long as I have the correct coding plug in the cluster?

mooseheadm5

A 7k tach is fine. You can't use the M3 tach because it is set up for a 4cyl

az3579

Isn't that just a matter of a coding plug?? People do swaps into M3's and the tach works just fine...

Or does this have something to do with the fact that it's a VDO cluster as opposed to my MotoMeter setup, though I don't see how that would affect it?

z31maniac guest

Are you planning on building a 24v motor that will spin higher than 7k?

If not, I'd save your money or buy an aftermarket tach. I've never seen an M3 cluster for sale for less than $250+ shipping.

A bit steep for me.

mooseheadm5

Come to think of it you probably can use your coding plug with the M3 tach, but the whole thing would be an excersice in waste. The motor won't even hit 7k without a chip.

az3579

I was thinking chipped, as my brain cannot comprehend the needle going off the gauge, but now that I think about it, my car has never seen the rev limiter (except for the time my brother drove it for the first time: "WTF, rev limiter at 5k rpm???" :rolleyes:) so I might as well not get it. Just another thing I'm happy not to purchase. :)

Engine seller is offering the following for sale:

* ZF 5sp transmission
    * Flywheel/Clutch/Pressure Plate
    * Slave/Master Cylinders w/ lines
    * Clutch/Brake pedal assembly
    * 5 sp driveshaft
    * Shift linkage/selector rod/etc
    * Shift boot/insulation/shift knob

He wants a grand for all of this. Worth it?
    At first I thought not, because I saw a ZF 5-speed on eBay for about $675 after shipping, but that doesn't include things like the driveshaft, flywheel/clutch/pressure plate, and slave/master cylinders. Those things add up, but he prefers to keep it complete and I figure might as well do new flywheel/clutch "while in there". Are any of these parts not reusable on my swap?

z31maniac guest

I don't know if you could use the master cylinder, but its unnecessary anyway.

I would ALWAYS use a new slave cylinder on a clutch job, just personal preference. Flywheel can be resurfaced, but definitely buy a new clutch, no reason not to while you have the stuff out of the car.

Is your car an auto? Then you don't need the pedal assembly.

I don't know about the '95 trans/driveshaft combo working, I know for sure the 96-99 M3 and 328 trans/driveshaft work (they both use the ZF320, and I believe the '95 M3 uses a ZF310, but not completely sure) this is a question I would get on R3V and ask.

You do need the shifter linkage, but I'd use all new bushing and clips to get the slop out. (Assuming they are like the E30 stuff)

Autohaus guest

Wow, a grand for all the above? I would get it. Z3, his car is a 5-speed. Botond would rather walk hither and yon than drive an auto. I guess I'm starting to realize that this project is worth it. Heck, we only live once, right? Botond, promise me I get a "test drive".

mooseheadm5

Basically what Z31 said. I am not certain about the driveshaft thing, but if you can transplant an entire driveshaft from an any E36 to an E30 then this driveshaft should work. The master won't work in your car. The slave might, but you might be able to use yours. The slave is so easy to replace it is not a big deal what you do with it right now. I'd probably take the stuff, but I'd be really skeptical of the clutch unless I could measure it. BMW clutches live damn near forever if not abused. A new connector at the trans for the shift linkage is always a good idea.
    What about exhaust? You can almost make quite a bit of the E36 stuff fit, but you absolutely cannot make your E30 stuff fit this motor without spending so much that it is not worth trying with your E30 stuff.

az3579

As far as exhaust goes, my "E30 stuff" is pretty shot. I've got multiple exhaust leaks that got worse after someone tried to fix them, so the exhaust has to go anyway. If I do exhaust, I look to spend no more than $500 on everything. The exhaust is a low priority, though I think I'll have a hard time managing $500 or less because I require the car to be emissions compliant. I still have to do emissions in 2 years for the last time... :(

Of course you get a drive, Chris. You think I'm craaaaazy? You my homie. :D

mooseheadm5

If it needs to be emissions legal, get the M3 exhaust if at all possible.

az3579

I know cats are expensive. How many will I need? I think I only have one in my car right now. Am I looking at two? What else would I need to make it emissions legal AND relatively quiet? I don't want it to be loud all the time, only when I'm at WOT, kind of like stock.

mooseheadm5

You have one tiny peashooter sized cat that necks down into one pipe that is the size of one of the two M3 downpipes. M3 mufflers are pleasant sounding all the time. Have one on the ti. Not sure if you can make it fit, but I'll take a few measurements.

Autohaus guest

If you are worried about emissions in CT than you should register your car in NY near me. We don't do emissions in my area.

z31maniac guest

I'm glad I won't have to deal with emissions.

2.5" single -> resonator -> muffler

az3579

How come y'all don't have to deal with emissions??? WTH? :(

I've got one more test until my car becomes a classic or whatever they call it at 25 years old. Just one test too short...

Elkoholic

In PA, I think anything over 20 years old (or at least manufactured before 1990) is exempt from emissions testing. My first whip (a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan--haha, faux wood trim and all plus the 15" "sport" rims) as well as the Bimmer have been exempt upon inspection.