Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Oktoberfest?

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by G5Ti, Jan 13, 2009.

G5Ti

I'll likely cross-post this as 1addicts as well, but I'm curious to know how many 1er owners are planning on going to Oktoberfest this year.

Also, I've never been to an event quite as big as this, and there's usually a variety of places to stay. It seems BMWCCA is really only recommending one place to stay - is this indeed where everyone goes or are there as-interesting places nearby?
    • Staff

steven s

Most people like to stay at the 'host' hotel.
    There is a lot to do without looking for more things to do outside of Ofest. :D

EuroWerkz1

O'Fest

I will likely be bringing a 1 this year,

You will be much happier at the host hotel although I hear reservations are getting full? You will also stay very busy as for some reason "they" have decided to condense the Oktoberfest event to make it shorter, there is very little down time if you sign up for the average number of inter-event activities, but the more you do the more fun you will have!

Carry on and enjoy,

CRKrieger

It's a lot easier to 'walk' home from a long night at the bar. DAMHIK.

Bimmerdan

I'll definitely be there with the 1. I had it in New York at the Glen this last year and had an absolute blast with it! There is no way I'm going to miss the opportunity to put it on Road Atlanta!

As was mentioned, most people prefer to stay at the host hotel because it's usually where the bulk of the non-driving events are held (dinner receptions, vendor area, photo contests, etc..) and it's really handy to be able to just run up to your room and run back down again without having to get in the car and drive. And like CR mentioned, it doesn't hurt that you can just stagger, oops...I mean "walk"...to your room at the end of the night [IMG]

G5Ti

I figured as much. :)

It's more that my work schedule makes it hard to commit to nights in a hotel so far in advance, and I'm not certain I can get anyone to go with me (weird, huh?). It's near my dad's b-day, so I thought perhaps I'd take him along. A good chance to get away from my mother for a few days for a father-son bonding time. He works too hard anyway (thankfully he gets to retire soon!).

I'd assume I'd be safe going Sunday-Saturday (6 nights), which seems reasonable cost-wise. I'd assume there are also costs associated with the various events, right? My driving skills are solid, but they're not track-worthy, so I'd probably invest time in the car control clinics and the like. Work my way up to the other events. (Side-note: are the BMW Performance Schools worth doing? Other schools better/cheaper?)

Bimmerdan: I'll certainly keep an eye out for you. I'll be making the trek from Columbus, OH, down there in my 128i. I've seen your posts on 1addicts too - you have an awesome stable of cars! :)
    • Staff

steven s

Performance Center schools are definitely worth doing. I've done a one day with my chapter. But to tell the truth, I still love driving my car on the track more.

G5Ti

They seem like a good deal, especially (if I can read correctly!) if the 20% off discount for BMWCCA members holds true. Perhaps I'll check those out during the year too. :)

Bimmerdan

Oktoberfest would make a perfect father/son getaway! There is stuff going on all week so you can do as much or as little as you want. The rallies, drives & gymkhana are all things that you guys can do together and the evening receptions are a great place to just kick back, relax and hang with all your new-found friends.

Oktoberfest is also a great place to take your first driver's school. You will be in with a whole bunch of people that have never done it before either and the BMW CCA schools are probably the safest and most well run schools you'll find. They also cater to novices (especially at O'Fest) so you will feel perfectly comfortable. If you get a chance before then to take a car control school or safety school (or even take in an autocross or two), it will be a huge help to you.

Like Steven said, as fun as the other schools are, there is nothing quite like driving it on the track.

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

G5Ti,

Please consider a driving school. You will be placed in the novice group with many other people at the same level as yourself. From my years of experience attending and instructing, I can promise you will learn a lot, have blast and build some solid driving skills. There is no better way to learn your cars' limits and how it acts and reacts at speed. That said, since you would be a new student, you will most likely not even approach the limits of your 1 series for a while. Lots of basics to learn and master. These cars are designed well and are ready to perform a very high levels...it is always the Human element that must be trained.
    If you are going to be at O'fest in Atlanta, you better take advantage of a DE at Road Atlanta. That is an awesome track and I guarantee you will have fun.
    There, that's my $0.02 on the Driving School subject.

As for O'fest....I have stayed at the Host Hotel and I have also stayed at off site Hotels. I did a lot of extra driving back and forth when I stayed off site attending the dinners, vendors, and other activities that were held, or started, at the Host Hotel. Unless all the rooms are booked, I would not look offsite. If they are booked, look for the closest one you can find.
    Enjoy....

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oktoberfest, accompanied or alone

Over the years I have met several members who for one reason or another wound up attending Oktoberfest all by themselves. But they were anything but alone: These CCA people are notoriously gregarious and friendly. It seems like they pounce on anybody who looks like he might be sitting still for five minutes at a stretch.

But I think a father-and-son outing would be perfect. Heck, the road trip alone would be outstanding quality time! :D

CRKrieger

Damn right. I did a few O'Fests with my wife along, but she bailed after 1990. I've been 'solo' for five more since then, but I was never alone. I knew that there would be 'family' there and that has never failed me. It certainly helps if you're a bit of a schmoozer, but there are plenty of us who will attempt to suck you into a conversation about cars or sump'n. All you need to do is not resist. Buying us beer* helps, too. :D

* Don't worry if you don't drink. We are not all a bunch of drunken carousers. We act like this regardless ... :eek:

G5Ti

I'm certain now I'll be going whether solo or not (dad isn't nearly as excited as I am… I mean, how can you resist a paid trip to drive your son's car around Road Atlanta?!?).

Do you previous attendees have an estimate on approximately how much financial damage one can incur by attending various events? August will be my likely month for the Ultimate Summer Road Trip 2009®, encompassing 5200 miles round-trip of scenic driving from Ohio to San Diego and back. So I'd like to have some idea of how much cash I'll be pouring into my car later this year. :) All worth it, surely.

MGarrison

Well there's plenty to spend money on - you can find out from where you're staying exactly what that will be including taxes and fees, assuming you stay out of the mini-bar, any spa beauty-treatments and massage, hotel dry-cleaning, using the hotel phone for long distance calls, or open tabs at the hotel bar!

There's always stuff to buy from the vendors, and maybe even touristy stuff in the broader scope of your trip, so keep in mind there may be additional stuff you want to buy that you don't foresee.

If you do a driver's school, plus O'fest registration, the final banquet, and other miscellaneous events, O'fest registration will be some several-hundred dollars - shouldn't be $1k, but might well be over $500 or so - honestly, I can't remember what my O'fest registration cost last year. $1.5k-$2k is probably a reasonably liberal budget for O'fest, and depending on what events you do and lodging choices, can certainly be less. Then there's gas, any needed car maintenance & prep in advance of the event, and any other additional expenses you might figure in for the whole scope of your trip beyond O'fest.

G5Ti

That seams do-able. The recommended hotel is $129/night, and I had anticipated 6 nights, so $800ish plus taxes. If the actual events and registration are in the 500-700 range, then it's a definite go. I'd prefer to keep the whole trip under $2k if possible. Sounds like it might be possible. Tough, but possible. :)

[edit: I should add I'm pretty cautious about spending, so the touristy stuff won't get me. I spend money only on housing, car, food and music. I'm a cheapskate otherwise!]

CRKrieger

I think Marshall's estimate is on the high side. Registration is not that much, but track days are. I went to NY to drive the Glen again and one day was enough for that (especially given the pathetic state of my suspension). A day of autocross and a day left open for a rally (I didn't run) and there was only one more day left. A good schmoozin' day or two. I honestly don't even remember what I did (probably hung out at the track on that rainy day with the Wings), but I know I enjoyed it. Every minute.

If I had to offer event planning advice, I'd say don't burn yourself out on the race track. One day is good and two should be plenty. Three will simply wear you out (even if nothing breaks - but it probably will, sticking you with a repair/replacement job) and I can only see a wild-eyed fanatic with no other life driving for four. Leave some time to meet the people and make some friends. You will always have your car to drive & work on and there will always be track days to go to. But people are what you will remember. O'Fest is your opportunity to meet all those folks whose stuff you read here and in ROUNDEL. Don't miss that chance.

Bimmerdan

I agree with CR. The total registration for O'Fest, including a one day school, the autocross and the banquet should be less than $500. Just add to that your lodging, gas and food and you'll have a pretty good idea of how much the week is going to run you.

I also agree with the fact that O'fest is as much about (or maybe even more) the social/friendship aspect than it is about the track events. I can go to a driver's school or an autocross close to me just about any weekend so that's not what draws me to O'fest. What keeps me coming back is the people. This year will be my 20th straight Oktoberfest and I'm looking forward to this one as much as I did my very first one.