Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Who loves winter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by az3579, Jan 10, 2009.

ChrisV

I love snow.

So long as I can drive to where it is, then drive home when I'm done with it. :D

Took the Range Rover up to CT before Christmas to visit with the in-laws, and played in the snow up there, then came home. If it snows here, I'll be parking the E38, as it only has summer tires and hates snow.

Oh, and I've found a lot of nice driving roads in CT...

az3579

Please do share. I'm not gonna waste gas to go find some and then realize that I'm rubbish at finding good roads. At that point, I'll be short gas and still have no good roads.

Where did you see some?
    Keep in mind, to me, a good driving road is one with lots of twisties, and NO TRAFFIC! That element is key...

Autohaus guest

Botond turns to a lunatic when traffic happens :)

CRKrieger

I'm willing to bet it isn't budget, but organizers. It isn't all that hard to put together an autocross, a car control clinic, or a rally. You just have to DO IT. I have. Most of these can make money with only a nominal registration fee, especially with a 'CCA insurance rebate. Put together a proposal, get the chapter to front the money, and go for it.

As for HPDEs, my recollection is that you only have one track (although NHIS has got to be close) and, if you get more than two dates per year, you're doing better than both Windy City & Badger Bimmers combined, at Road America. We have to go out of state - farther than it would take you to go from end to end of CT - to use the next closest track in Illinois. AFAIK, both local chapters here also travel even farther to go into Michigan (Grattan & Gingerman) for track days. Even for Road America, most attendees stay in hotels to be there. So get to work - and plan to travel a bit.

lcjhnsn

BINGO!

I'll get the admission done right up front, I am POTP (part of the problem)

It hasn't always been like this, the Connecticut Chapter used to be very active with Rallys and other driving events. We have a large membership but for the 10 years that I've been a member it has almost exclusively been the same 10 people that have organized and executed EVERY event or activity that has happened over that time.

This year Bob Morin is stepping down as President after more than 10 years of service. Many of the other Board members have been inplace as along or longer than Bob. These folks have done a great job over the years, but they are kinda tired of being the only ones making things happen. There are some younger members like Mike Zarolinski and others who are stepping up to organize some events like the annual Show-n-Shine.

So, no one has the right to complain about a lack of activity in your (our) Chapter unless we are actively participating with the Chapter Board and things still aren't happening.

Until lately, my career has prevented me from contributing more than I have. But I hope in the next year to start attending board meetings and contributing more to the Chapter.

az3579

I'd be glad to help organize an event if I knew how the hell do to so. :(
    If someone else is willing to help, then I'd want to start up something with them. We desperately need a CCA auto-x here in CT!

If someone else was willing to do the same, then perhaps we could get a group together to organize a certain event, and then another group to organize another type of event. This way, we could have people organizing events that would be their specialty, meaning it would be the best it could be. As a result, it wouldn't just be the same ol' people organizing every single event, but instead each different type of event would be hosted by people who know how to do it right and don't mind doing it every time. I agree that having every single event organized by the same people is a bit stressful, which is why it should be spread out a bit.

I've never done an Auto-X, for example, but would be more than willing to help if someone else decided to take the lead in organizing. I would gladly help do whatever they say needs to be done, because I suck at organizing events. Of course, if someone was to have me by their side, then I could learn it the way they know and perhaps host one myself in the future.

GregS_WI guest

One great thing

One great thing about snow and cold, it weeds out the whimps...:p

You have to look at it like that Bible passage (or is it some hippy song), there's a time for power slides, a time for sliding, a time for heat indexes, a time for flesh-will-freeze scales, etc.

(Today/tonight we have the warning, "EXPOSED SKIN CAN FREEZE IN 10 MINUTES OR LESS".)

Life is too short to hate 1/4, 1/3, or even 1/2 of the year. If you really hate it, look into moving south. I'm sure there are some cheap homes in the New Orleans area with a super view of the levees...:D

CRKrieger

Just logical thought processes. What do you need for an autocross? A site. A date. Equipment. Insurance. A budget to figure participation fees. Registration. Course workers. A schedule. Go through it step by step and you'll have it.
    An excellent idea. While I helped organize car shows many years ago, I really have no interest in doing them now for BMWs. So I don't. I've done one or two rallies and a handful of autocrosses. The bigger the event, the more likely you'll need more people to plan, but it won't be unmanageable.
    I had never worked on any of the events I planned before organizing them. But the analysis is simple if you know what you need. The harder part is finding out how to get it. Phone calls and talk will do the job for you.

MGarrison

btw Botond, if it's any encouragement - I don't think the bulk of the group that founded this club were a whole heck of a lot older than you when they started it; and, as I understand it, the first O'fests were done over a weekend throwing all the standard events into two days - auto-x, rally, concours, awards banquet, etc.

lcjhnsn

Autohaus guest

TeamStowell We love driving!

If you can't beat them, join them!

The Patroon Chapter is going snow shoeing this weekend, then curling up in front of the end of the 24 Hours of Daytona with stew, chili, and alcohol.

mpjrm guest

Personally, I cannot stand it. Currently planning future relocation to AZ or eastern SC. Temps in the teens, salt and ash on the roads, ever present pot holes.......I'm happy some love and want to stay here. Helps keep where I want to go a little less crowded. I do thank you. And you're welcome, my leaving gives you a little more room to enjoy this climate.

Autohaus guest

I would like to go Scott but I have to clean out the old house still and start unpacking boxes at the new house. Moving is a PITA :mad: