Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Front Page load in time: problem

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by 330indy1, Jan 4, 2009.

330indy1

forcing the multi-photo front page load before site navigation is possible is a drag. literally.
    when i log in with my iPhone it is impossible to get into the member area (forums). please change this because it is not a 'good thing' ----- the photos are nice but make it an option to view. right now it is force-fed, and about as annoying as a 'pop-up'.

FWIW :confused:

does anyone else share my opinion on this???:(

az3579

It would make sense to me to work around it from loading first because people who view the page on their mobile phones, for example, will get charged for the data they use. Downloading a photo does take up quite a bit of bandwidth when it comes to mobiles...

But then again, they didn't design the web site to be used with a mobile phone, so I kind of understand why they did what they did. Most people don't have dial-up anymore and I'm sure well over 90% of the people who visit this site visit on a computer and not a phone.

They dumped a lot of money on the site, so I think a phone-compatible version won't happen for a while.

1996 328ti guest

The dropdown menus in the navbar also take a long time to load.

Edit: Your best bet is to go directly to the forum section.
    Not in our lifetime anyway. :)

M3Driver guest

Ditto to drop-down menu load time; thought it was just me.....

az3579

I've got a different issue with the drop-down; I actually think it comes up too quick. I'm the kind of person who's not very accurate with the mouse when just browsing around (playing games is a different story though) and many times when I want to go click on the navigation buttons for where I am on the forums, my mouse hovers over the drop-down items for a split second and the whole list comes up, getting in my way.

What is this slowness that you guys are experiencing?

1996 328ti guest

The slowness of the nav menu is when the page has to be refreshed.
    Log out, leave the site and come back. Sometimes the small triangles to the right of each mean needs to be loaded. At least that is when I find that problem.

I have a hard time navigating the menus also. Need to keep your hand steady and between the lines. It's like playing the game Operation. :p

kkratoch

330indy1

this is the best solution for the iPhone.
    boom
    done

MGarrison

Ya, ditto, I just go straight to forums bulk of the time, navigate the rest of the site on whim.

It seems to me like the drop-down menus are setup to have a graduated-speed thing going on, perhaps most easily noticeable on the BMWCCA box. I mouseover that, and it drops down at a steady rate until about the last 3 boxes, where the drop down rate slows down and the very last box appears noticeably more slowly than when the BMWCCA box is initally moused-over (jeez, when did 'mouseover' actually become a word :p).

Since the 'Articles' box is both the only and the last box in the BMW News list, it appears to drop down more slowly than the intial boxes below the BMWCCA box, so it would seem. Someone from the site would have to comment if that's an intentional design, assuming my browser's working it correctly and doing it the same as everyone else's.

M3Driver guest

It takes an a long time for the drop-down box "arrows" to appear. As long as you don't clean the cache or delete the cookies, that problem doesn't reoccur. Clean cache/cookies; it comes back.