Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

First Time BMW Owner from Cleveland (don't mention the Browns) Ohio

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by pcbeckwith, Dec 31, 2008.

pcbeckwith

Just bought my first BMW after years of coming close but no cigar. Purchased a 2006 530i, manual transmission, black sapphire metallic with black interior, Premium and Sport package and it's like a brand new car. I can't wait to get up and drive it every morning. Only bad thing is the weather forcing me to put snows on the car but I still have fun getting the tail to wiggle after years of driving FWD. Can't wait for spring.

Swooz

Welcome to the party!

I just ordered a new 328i from the factory which should arrive sometime in February. This will be my third Beamer since 2000. I ordered enough options on this one to make it my last for a long, long time. Good luck with your 5 series CPO. My husband has his eyes on one, but says he'll wait another year before pulling the trigger.

pcbeckwith

Thanks for the welcome!

Really had my eye on a 330xi but my wife said she wanted more room and the 5 popped up in my searches.

missmelyssa guest

Black on black 5spd....sounds super nice. I'm a first bimmer owner myself...finallly! 2006 325i, sparkling graphite with black interior. I've always driven 5spds, but could've went either way on the bimmer. It's an auto. Which means I'll just have to find myself an e30 5spd one day!

I have a friend who's about 6' or 6'1". And when he sat in the back seat he would hit hit head on the ceiling since it does slope down in the back. Do you think the ceiling in the 5 series is not as steep as the 325i?
    I love my car and won't trade it in just for that reason, but I am curious.

pcbeckwith

I know the 5 is wider with more leg room but don't know about height. I'll check it out tonight and let you know. I'm 5ft 11in so I may be able to give you some idea. I was looking at a couple '06 330xi w/manual tranny's and would be driving one now had the 5 not come along.

missmelyssa guest

My car is my daily driver.
    I have a sedan because it's so much easier to get my 2.5yr old in and out.
    Plus, I don't like having to re-adjust my seat each time someone has to sit behind the driver's seat.

What did I drive before this?
    04 civic coupe. it was cute.

pcbeckwith

Last car I had with a stick was a Saab 90S, fun car but not a bimmer. Most recently was driving a Toyota Avalon Touring model, again not even close. I noticed the other posts about washing the cars and staying away from the automated car washes but difficult finding a day when the water doesn't freeze in Northeast Ohio. I remeber my father washing his car every Saturday where he would put water on the sidewalk and wait 15 minutes. If the water didn't freeze he would wash the car. Of course he would seek me to "help" him with the task and I would freeze my fingers trying to get the whitewall tires white. Any suggestions about keeping the car clean with salt and cold weather?

pcbeckwith

Plenty of headroom in the rear of the 530i, I had a good amount of space between the top of my head and the ceiling and I'm 5' 11".

TeamStowell We love driving!

Congratulations on your 5 series purchase! We have had a 5 in the stable since 1995, and hope to keep our current 540 w/ 180,000 miles for years to come. We are in upstate NY, are buried in snow 5 months a year, and have never had an issue running any of our cars with snow tires.... enjoy the wiggle;)

pcbeckwith

How far upstate? My son is attending SUNY-Oswego and is on the hockey team.

TeamStowell We love driving!

He is really buried in the snow!! Don't they have ropes they have to hang on to when traveling between buildings so they don't get lost?

We are in the Saratoga area and very active in the Patroon chapter which covers the eastern half of the state. You will have to meet up for a coffee if you are ever traveling in from the east.

pcbeckwith

I am planning on going to Oswego at the end of the month to catch a couple of games. That will be the first road trip for the 530. It's a 5 1/2 trip from where I live to Oswego.

Autohaus guest

Welcome to BMW. You have a sweet ride in the 530i with the 6-speed. I am just warming up to the current 5 styling. BTW, how about them Browns? At least you guys beat the Giants :)

pcbeckwith

Or the Giants beat themselves. That win was a fluke, something like the planets aligning at the proper time at the proper moment. Take this into consideration, Crennel is not of head coach material, Derek Anderson is not a starting quarterback, Braylon Edwards blames the fans for putting too much pressure on a Michigan grad playing for the Browns while dropping more balls then the total combined of Times Square on New Years Eve and some people in Pittsburgh still think it's a rivalry.

Regarding the 530i, "sweet ride" is an understatement. As I said before, I have always wanted a BMW but finances were not right. This time they were right and the car was more then worth it. I am definitely going to go to a Drivers School to learn the proper way to work this machine. Is it April yet?

az3579

[sigh]

Not yet, unfortunately. :(