Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Proper Operating Temp.??

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by ecvchamp, Dec 30, 2008.

ecvchamp guest

My factory temp. gauge works when it wants to. The problem is in the cluster so I decided to use an aftermarket gauge. It runs about 190 on the hwy. and 195 to 200 in town. What I am wondering is that to low a temp? I live in sunny northern califonia. Morning temps. are about 40 and afternoon is about 55 or 60. I have a 89 m20. Thanks for any info

az3579

I think that's about normal. My brother's Dodge Sprinter (really a Mercedes :p) has the temp gauge with the degrees in Fahrenheit and it shows around 180 when the engine is fully warmed up.

Elkoholic

Yeah, the 180-190 range is pretty normal for these particular inlines. I had to do some research on them for school...I love referring to my car when dealing with mechanical engineering homework...lol
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Yes, that is the correct temp for the car. It has an 80C thermostat, which comes to 176F, so that is about perfect as the engine will run a little warmer than the T-stat setting.

Elko, I did that too. Being a mech rule. Want to move to VA when you graduate and vaporize stuff with an electron beam gun?

Elkoholic

Haha, that sounds like a hoot! I'm a co-op student at Drexel, searching around for my first spring/summer gig, let me know if you need an assistant! lol

stevehecht

hey Botond,

Nice new pic in your sig!

[IMG]

az3579

Thanks. :)
    Come springtime, we'll give your car a wax and find a good scenic spot for yours too.

Elkoholic

I love how this has now become a terminally hijacked thread :rolleyes:

az3579

You started it. :D

His question has been answered... let's not take it any further. :)

ecvchamp guest

You guys crack me up.:D What about the other end of the spectrum? At what temp. on the high end should i watch out for?

az3579

Watch out for anything near 230-250. That's approaching the red zone and could cause damage if you stay in the red for long.

Elkoholic

I daresay we've actually gotten back on track!!! :D lol, yeah, second Botond.

mooseheadm5

I would worry once you hit 220, as that is approaching your boiling point under pressure. If you wait until 230-240, it could be too difficult to cool it off.

Devilsown guest

Wow I wish my RX-7 ran that cool on a "normal" day it runs about 106-107c which is about 222.8f I've seen it get as hot as 114 after a hard run which is about 237f. Im sure the turbo were a tad hotter as the entier left side of the engine bay was glowing orange... those street bikes can be peskey... ah the power of the rot goat... 1.3ltrs of glory...:D

ecvchamp guest

Thanks to all for the help

az3579

And it didn't blow up? How??? :eek:

Devilsown guest

As I said the power of the rot goat... :D (rotary natrualy run hotter then the standerd pistion engine...) and the turbos well I need new ones... :rolleyes:

Odiekokee

Vaporizing things.......If he doesn't want it....can I have it? I'm not an engineer, but I play one at work (and probably more convincing than the rest of the engineering dept.....the only non-eng in the group)

:D

mooseheadm5

Odie,
    directedvapor.com

Just so all of you know, newer cars are run much hotter for emissions reasons. The T-stat on the M62 normally opens at 105-110C unless the computer opens it under full throttle (or other reasons.) It is common for cars to run that hot now, which is why there are so many cooling system failures with newer cars. Higher temperatures and pressures (the caps are not allowed to vent until a certain pressure/temp because of the EPA and the systems are supposed to contain less cooltant to reduce pollution.)

az3579

What about diesels?

I got my Fahrenheit temperatures from my brother's Dodge Sprinter instrument cluster, which shows temps in F, and it seems the temperatures on that are spot on.

What other temperatures could we be seeing across the BMW range that are normal operating temperature?