Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cold Air Box question on Z4

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by zkeeper, Dec 21, 2008.

zkeeper

Have a 2008 3.0si Z4...and interested in moving to an Afe cold air intake. OK, its a bit sophormic but this will probably be my last roadster and I want to make some changes..but here is question: it would seem that a conical filter, and they have fine ones by all standards etc, still lets air down center, which seems to be unfiltered. I think I am missing something...and interested if anyone can clarify. It would be the stage 2, only one available for this later Z4si.
    And can anyone also clarify what MAF sensor does and would it be affected by putting into the new tube config?? I need not have lights come on just to justify this increase in whooosh etc...thanks for any technical info anyone can provide or anyone who has done such---I am grateful.

EuroWerkz1

Air flow to a Z4

A 2008 3.0si Z4, a fun car and one of my favorite BMW's.

You are correct that the AFE intake system uses a Conical filter but although it appears to be open down the middle it is not and will provide filtered air to the intake system. Now whether the open middle type conical is as effective as it should be is debate-able but for a street application the difference is not worth arguing about. The MAF sensor is down-stream from any aftermarket air intake system therefore it will not be adversely affected by this system. In general terms the air flow sensor of any kind measures the amount of air flow entering the engine and this measurement becomes one parameter used by the engine control computer to determine fuel mixture, timing etc.

If I may, I think you would be wise to also consider the DINAN intake system that also offers the added benefit of full warranty coverage and the actual engineering to back it up.

Enjoy!

zkeeper

Thanks Doug...makes perfect sense...have emailed you. Curious tho if that MAF downstream "not being affected" is SET for the stock system and the more constant rush of air which then adjusts the mixture etc, will have the computer saying..."hey..this is NOT what we here in Spartenburg are happy with..-- that light on quick to let this idiot know he should not have fooled with us engineers..." LOL...but just a thot. Thanks again.

EuroWerkz1

Funny!

That was a fuuny response:D

Actually, two things. The air flow meter is not set for any particular stock system and in fact is used with several engines. It is also not too small to restrict air-flow for this particular application and will provide a wide range of air flow information. And...Munich is where the engineering comes from and Spartanburg is where major and important pre assembled mechanical bits including engines arrive from Germany ready to be put together with body's that are built in Spartanburg.

Was that politically correct enough?

zkeeper

Thank you -- made sense. Yes very PCorrect...met some of the guys down there who built this Z4..and was playing on that.

BUT then can just see some of the Muni' lads, fretting over us Ami's playing games with their long-afternoon debates on MAF functional tolerances etc: "Ya, Eric, I know, I know about what zay du there,--- but, but, they keep boldting things on, changing things, and completely dis-reeeegard our vays of doing things. Vhat du zay think ve 'r, kompleat idiots??"

Thanks again...I sent an email to your office on the Dinan matter...thanks again...bests.

ML.

Devilsown guest

+1 on Dinan I was going to suggjest that also, I love the way Dinan stuff looks and sound and as you said hold facory warrantys too, that just tells you someone did something right.