Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Holiday party postponed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Autohaus, Dec 18, 2008.

Autohaus guest

Its supposed to snow big time tomorrow and our holiday party was supposed to begin at 12 noon across the street at the Hilton Inn (Paris was not to attend-Thank God) so they decided to reschedule it. I was looking forward for the food tomorrow and leaving around 2:30-3pm to go home. No way was I gonna pull a John Travolta on the dance floor :rolleyes:

az3579

You lucky bum; you get to leave early. :(

Autohaus guest

Well, since its going to snow alot today they SHOULD let us leave early anyway.

az3579

Today was pretty bad here. Not much snow (4-6 inches) but it was enough to slow traffic to less than 20 mph and to get me stuck a few times. I left work 2 hours early and found myself with an EMPTY gas tank and HILLS to get up! Man was this an interesting night.

And I just got back into the house after shoveling my car out of a mountain of snow that the plowing trucks so graciously dumped onto my car from the street. This **** took my parking spot off of the street so I had to park on the street as it was the only spot I could find. Mind you, I parked on a mountain of snow to begin with...

But now I should be able to get moving tomorrow morning without too much drama. I'm determined to get that suspension installed!

And boy does it help to have an LSD. :D

Autohaus guest

I bet you are. I left work around 11:30 this morning. Took me about 2 hours to get home. I took it easy :D

lcjhnsn

I'm sorry about the heretical comment i am about to make but...

My winter beater 1999 Subaru with marginal all-season tires had absolutely no problems traveling through 10 unplowed inches of the white stuff on the way home from work last night.

I took the back roads to avoid all the amateurs stuck and blocking traffic on the interstates. Twice, I had to come to a complete stop in the middle of a hill to avoid some bone head with bald tires and front drive sliding backwards down the hill. But once the clowns finally came to rest, I just motored the rest of the way up the hill.

I don't know how the Xi's, X3's and X5's run in the snow, but I sure am impressed with Subau all wheel drive!

TeamStowell We love driving!

+1 on the Subaru winter performance. We had several in the pre BMW years including an SVX, but the 540 with snows is almost as sure footed in all but the worst storms.

az3579

Chris' 325xi is absolutely fantastic in the snow. He was taking me to parts of town where there are steep inclines and it was all covered in deep slush and snow, pretty much areas that would leave my E30 sliding backwards into a telephone pole. He powered, and I mean literally powered, through the slush to the top of the hill without any drama at all. That AWD system coupled with the DSC is simply amazing!
    And, if I understand correctly, he doesn't even have snow tires mounted...

Autohaus guest

Today Botond and I saw a few cars stuck in ditches on the way to his house on I-684. I remember seeing a E320 MB in a ditch and a riced out Civic :D. How did you know the tires were bald? You must have great eye vision Lance, especially at night.

Scott, what snow tire size are you running and with what wheels?

You failed to mention HDC :D

az3579

I was thinking about it and thought HDC is pretty useless... you just have to know how to manage your braking. :p

You could get down a hill a lot faster if you braked yourself.

Autohaus guest

I just let the system take over. The machines are slowly taking over human responsibilities.

az3579

*ahem* Slushboxes, for example... :rolleyes:

MGarrison

"Honey!! Do you know where the car went??"

"I think it went to the gas station to fill itself up - it should be back in a few minutes, I told it to pick up a 6-pack of Coke too!"

:p

az3579

You crack me up. :D

Chris, did you ever have that holiday party?

Autohaus guest

Question, would you rather drive an slushbox bimmer or a 5-speed rice Honda?

Probably this week I guess.

az3579

Only the bimmer if the slushbox is at minimum a steptronic. Otherwise, I'd rather walk. :p

Autohaus guest

Even in 10 degree snow/ice weather?????

az3579

Okay, let me rephrase that...

I'd rather stay home. :rolleyes:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Judgement day, the day the machines took over

Autohaus guest

Speaking of which, they are going to make a 5th Terminator moving right after the 4th one hits the theaters next year. Title? "T-5, The Machines Get Bored".